Premix Lye Solution Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgiastray

Reaction score
Okay, I have been searching for 45 minutes on the forum, and I am ready to pull my hair out! :x I remeber reading a post/topic about premixing a 50% lye solution to have on hand in order to save time...BUT...I can't remember (and now can't find on here) the correct formula to dilute it to use in a particular soap recipe. Can someone help me out, or tell me where I can find the info on here? Thanks so much!

Rhonda

I've used this technique for quite a while now, I knda pioneered it really. I mix equal weights of lye and aloe vera juice to come up with the 50% solution. Now, I know that by weight there is equal weight water, or aloe vera juice, and lye. Say my recipe calls for 5 ounces of lye and I'm soaping at a 33% solution, and need 10 ounces of water or liquid. I measure out 10 ounces of my 50% solution, or 5 ounces of lye and 5 ounces of water/aloe vera juice. The recipe calls for 10 ounces of water. I need to add another 5 ounces of water or in my case, aloe vera juice to get down to a 33% solution strength my recipe called for.

That is it in a nutshell. I add GM as the remaining liquid needed and add powdered GM to the whole GM so I can claim I use all goats milk in my soap. Hope this helps!

Paul :wink:

Hey Georgia! I'm in Dayton. It would be cool to talk to you. I don't know anyone I can't share my soap addiction with. My family is sick of it! Lol!

Latest posts

Back