Premature Ageing / DOS of Lard Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any idea how old the leaf lard was? Was is vacuumed packed, or in a Ziploc?

I haven't soaped with Fannie and Flo's leaf lard, but have with their other 2 types of lard. Been watching them like a hawk, wondering if the lack of bht or citric acid will bring on early dos. I've got 3 - 9 month old bars, but none have dos.

I too thought the pattern of the dos was odd - being around the outside edges. I had a batch of low/high water soap do the same thing as yours in about 6 weeks time!

It's not just around the edges, but it does go faster there. You can see the same effect with something like Aleppo soap, where the green chlorophyll causes the outside of the soap to oxidize. It have also seen it with very stable soaps that started to show their age -- an all-over color change that's most prominent along the edges -- but that was after 6 or 7 years.

I don't know the age of the lard I used, as it had a previous owner. It was in the original vacuum packaging. I didn't notice anything off about it when I used it.

If any of you remember I did a test with several different brands of lard and this happened to every one of them. I re-tested a while back adding in .1% BHT and no dos spots or orange soap. So I do not think it is fragrance, just the nature of many lards. After discovering BHT would stop the problem I went back to using lard. I had quit for awhile

Last edited:
It's not just around the edges, but it does go faster there. You can see the same effect with something like Aleppo soap, where the green chlorophyll causes the outside of the soap to oxidize. It have also seen it with very stable soaps that started to show their age -- an all-over color change that's most prominent along the edges -- but that was after 6 or 7 years.

I don't know the age of the lard I used, as it had a previous owner. It was in the original vacuum packaging. I didn't notice anything off about it when I used it.

The vacuum packed lard is their newest, they switched from Ziploc to vacuum packed over 6 months ago, so the lard isn't that old and their instructions for storing state freezing not required when packed in the vacuum packaging.

Another thing to consider is what type of pot do they render the lard in?
Although, so far I've had no dos with their other lards and I've soap with about 20 lbs of it so far.

If any of you remember I did a test with several different brands of lard and this happened to every one of them. I re-tested a while back adding in .1% BHT and no dos spots or orange soap. So I do not think it is fragrance, just the nature of many lards. After discovering BHT would stop the problem I went back to using lard. I had quit for awhile

I was waiting for you to come along. :)

It makes me uncomfortable to think some lard I'm using might be a DOS bomb without stabilizers. I do believe in using stabilizers, but I don't think my oils would normally do this so dramatically without them.

Here is the original appearance of the soap.

Piggy01.jpg

I was waiting for you to come along. :)

It makes me uncomfortable to think some lard I'm using might be a DOS bomb without stabilizers. I do believe in using stabilizers, but I don't think my oils would normally do this so dramatically without them.
It really makes me wonder what is going on. I still have my first soap made 7 years which is 100% Snowcap lard and not dos to this day. I am wondering if Snowcap lard which contains BHA and BHT. My S&F lard contains citric acid and BHT. I am not sure what is in the Farmer John Lard

Latest posts

Back