Pregnant and soaping?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapmonster

Reaction score
So my husband and I are not not trying and there's a possibility I can be at any given moment. Is it a bad idea to soap if you are? Or do people still do it? Just concerned with fumes from the lye and possibly all the EOs/FOs..?

I wouldn't do it while heavily pregnant, for an agility consideration!

So in the earlier stages it should be okay with some caveats - If you breathe in lye fumes as a matter of course in your soap making, you'd know it! If not, you shouldn't start when you have a bun in the oven.

EOs are indeed a different matter, though. I would of course avoid skin contact and for me it is okay as I have a proper cartridge face mask for stopping fumes and all that, so I can't even smell anything when making soap with it on. But direct EO fumes when pregnant? I'd want to avoid that. If buying a decent mask isn't an option, maybe go unscented for a while.

While there is mixed information on use of EOs in pregnancy, I would err on the side of caution, personally

I second the use of a "proper cartridge mask" when using EOs/FOs while pregnant. As a matter of fact, if you are doing nothing to prevent a pregnancy, I would start now. You don't need to be very early in a pregnancy and not taking precautions to protect the embryo. I would also CONSULT A DOCTOR BEFORE DOING THIS.

I'm pregnant and soaping :) as long as you take all the same precautions as before like gloves, goggles, mask, mix the lye in an open area preferrably outside, vinegar ready, don't lift things you find too heavy, you should be fine! I did get quite a huge whiff of peppermint & tea tree oil burning off when I rebatched some soap so if you ever need to rebatch, remember the fumes are going to be really strong if you used any essential oils in the original batch. I have been avoiding using rosemary, clary sage, and stuff like that in my soaps ever since I got pregnant.

I'm pregnant and soaping :) as long as you take all the same precautions as before like gloves, goggles, mask, mix the lye in an open area preferrably outside, vinegar ready, don't lift things you find too heavy, you should be t.

Just a word of caution, the recommended action for lye spills is to rinse the area with water only. Vinegar + lye on your skin will actually make a burn worse.

I'm pregnant and soaping as well. I make sure I'm all covered up (long gloves, apron, goggles, etc.) and avoid certain essential oils like mentioned above.

Just a word of caution, the recommended action for lye spills is to rinse the area with water only. Vinegar + lye on your skin will actually make a burn worse.

I'm ridiculously careful (ridiculously slow) so I've never head a spill (husband is not so hes had a burn on his neck lol). But what I do when cleaning anything that's touched lye is rinse with water like 5x, then with dishsoap and water thoroughly, then rinse with ACV all over it, then again with dishsoap and water lol. Luckily I don't make anything to sell, just for fun and to give to friends as my only hobby I have time for outside of work XD so costs associated with cleaning is not a problem.

Latest posts

Back