Pre Mixing Titamium dioxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckscent

Reaction score
So I have got in a 16oz bag of TD pigment, can someone tell me how to go ahead and pre mix up a 8oz or 16oz bottle? I know it says 1 tsp. to 1 tbsp. of oil, but I need bigger than that for these bottles... Thanks

There are 2 tablespoons in an ounce, so your eight ounce bottle would be 16 tablespoons of oil.

So that would require 16 teaspoons of TD by the ratio you provided, which is 1/3 cup.

ETA: Even easier answer is 3 parts oil to 1 part TD, by volume.

My suggestion for pre-mixing TD is to add something to the container (like a marble) that will help mix it up when you need it. I've found when it sits, even for a few hours, the TD falls to the bottom of the solution and sticks like a lump of glue. Just vigorous shaking doesn't usually blend it back together well enough, you'll need a bit more help. :)

Ditto what KristaY said. I used to buy my colorants pre-mixed in oil, and I would often become so frustrated over how gluey they would get as they sat in between soaping sessions. Marbles definitely would have helped for sure. I also didn't like the stale/rancid smell they would often develop over time, so if you are able- I recommend that you try mixing them with glycerin instead of oil. They'll stay fresher for longer that way.

Eventually, I gave up on pre-mixed colorants and took to mixing only the amount I need (fresh) for each batch. It took a little bit of trial and error to figure out how much of the powdered to measure out for whatever design I want to achieve for each batch, but it's like second nature to me now.

IrishLass :)

Back