Pre mixing colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
When using oxides and micas, how do you decide if you premix it or if you just put it right in with your batch?

When I say premixing I mean stirring up in a small amount (maybe an ounce) of solvent (water for water solubles and oil for non water solubles) before putting it in the soap

I just mix them into the batch. I decided that all those extra steps did not work for me long ago. But I do stay away from TD and other known problem colorants. There are too many ways to get a good color to sweat the extra work.

With micas, I stir them right into the batter as they take to mixing very easily that way, but not so with ultramarines and oxides. Those latter 2 will form pesky specks if I don't smooth them out in a little glycerin first before adding to my batter.....unless, that is, I hit them really hard with the stick-blender, but I don't like to do that if I don't have to as I'm not fond of having my soap trace faster than I want it to.

Glycerin is my solvent of choice when I pre-mix my colorants, as it mixes quite well with both water and oil-soluble colorants.

IrishLass :)

With micas, I stir them right into the batter as they take to mixing very easily that way, but not so with ultramarines and oxides. Those latter 2 will form pesky specks if I don't smooth them out in a little glycerin first before adding to my batter.....unless, that is, I hit them really hard with the stick-blender, but I don't like to do that if I don't have to as I'm not fond of having my soap trace faster than I want it to.

Glycerin is my solvent of choice when I pre-mix my colorants, as it mixes quite well with both water and oil-soluble colorants.

Interesting

Does the addition of the Glycerin change your recipe at all? I'm assuming since it's not an oil it doesn't saponify and acts as a carrier only?

No, it doesn't change my recipe at all. I only use enough glycerin to make a smooth slurry of the colorants, which most times is just a teaspoon or so.

If I'm coloring the whole batch, I add the colorants to the oil and stick blend it in before adding the lye and other goodies.

If I'm going to do a swirl, I put the colorant into it's container, add a few mls of the soaping oils and mix with one of those mini mixers. Then I add the lye to the main batch and mix until there is just barely an emulsion and then add some of that batter to the colors. If I need to color the main batter, I'll add the mica directly and stick blend while getting to thin trace. I use the mini mixer to blend the small amounts of color :)

Latest posts

Back