Pre-mixing colorants ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyvernWench

Reaction score
From what I have read here and on several of the blogs I am suppose to pre-mix my mica or pigment colors with a light oil before I add it to the soap batch, which is after I get trace.

So my question is if I am mixing 1/2 tsp. of color to 1 tble. of sweet almond oil, do I account for that almond oil in my soapcalc recipe? Do I include 1 to 2 ounces of almond oil in the recipe and then divide that ounce between the colors ... or do I ignore that ounce of almond oil when running my base oils through soapcalc ?

Thank you for any experience or guidance you can offer!!!

Most folks just set aside a little bit of oil from their actual batch to pre-mix their colorants. No extra calculating necessary. Any oil used in your formula will do fine.

Alternatively, you can do what I do- I mix mine with vegetable glycerin before adding to my batch.

As an aside, you can add colorants at any time- it's not necessary to wait for trace if you don't want to. For example, when I'm coloring my entire batch of soap with only 1 color, I mix it smooth in a little glycerin and stick-blend it directly into my melted oils in my soap pot before adding the lye solution.

IrishLass :)

If you're using titanium dioxide, be aware there are two versions -- water soluble and oil soluble. You'll need to use the appropriate liquid for the TD you have. I believe you can use glycerin with either type.

Old post but I wanted to say thanks for this! I’ve had nothing but bad luck mixing colors and then I learned that I should premix with a light oil ahead of time. Then I was curious on how to factor that into my calc.... then I just learned from this post that I don’t have to! lol

Thanks @IrishLass

Latest posts

Back