Pre-heat mould before pouring to prevent semi-gel due to mould mass?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRose

Reaction score
I happened to discover that my thick wooden mould may be too dense and extract too much heat from the setting soap. The wood is 3/4" MDF which is much more dense than something like plywood.

Has anyone else run into something like this and found a way to get a homogeneous gelling? I'm not sure what temperature would be appropriate for this but since I've mixed the oils and water at 115, I would guess that this would be a safe temp to heat the mould prior to pouring and properly insulate the top of the loaf as well.

loafside.jpg

I've never thought of that, but don't see why it would be an issue. I freeze my molds to prevent gel, why not the opposite?

For CPOP, I set my oven to 170 then turn it off, so I know my molds can handle that temp and most of my soaps can handle it without over heating. I would put the oven on the lowest setting and throw the mold in for fifteen minutes-ish.

Have you tried using a heating pad? I usually try to avoid gel, so I don't have any experience with them, but I've seen quite a few mentions of it here. Might be a little less fuss

You should be able to preheat on your lowest oven setting. I have done so before with success. These days I use a heating pad underneath and towels on top to insulate. Haven't had any issues with partial gel.

Latest posts

Back