Pre-buy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on the pre-buy itself. If you're looking at one like Micas and More, then it's pretty straight forward. You order what you want during the time that the pre-buy is open. After the pre-buy closes, the buyer orders what is needed for everyone, and when she/he receives it will divvy it up in the amounts that you ordered and send it to you. In the case of M&M, it's very reliable and I receive what I order 3 weeks after the pre-buy closes.

I have participated in other pre-buys that require a minimum amount for everyone to order. It was a bad deal for me from this particular seller (she no longer does it so I won't name her). I had to order and pay for my molds upfront, she needed a minimum of 300 (or something like that) to get the deal. She never got that many and took off with my money. So my advice... don't participate with an unknown supplier that requires a minimum total amount to get the deal.

It depends on the pre-buy itself. If you're looking at one like Micas and More, then it's pretty straight forward. You order what you want during the time that the pre-buy is open. After the pre-buy closes, the buyer orders what is needed for everyone, and when she/he receives it will divvy it up in the amounts that you ordered and send it to you. In the case of M&M, it's very reliable and I receive what I order 3 weeks after the pre-buy closes.

I have participated in other pre-buys that require a minimum amount for everyone to order. It was a bad deal for me from this particular seller (she no longer does it so I won't name her). I had to order and pay for my molds upfront, she needed a minimum of 300 (or something like that) to get the deal. She never got that many and took off with my money. So my advice... don't participate with an unknown supplier that requires a minimum total amount to get the deal.
I was specifically thinking of a pre-buy on the forum.

I would only do it from someone that was here for a LONG time, Known soaper.

Seller gets a good deal on a Bulk purchase from a big company, offers to everyone to see if others want in and for how much. Usually there is a minimum amount to order so that the seller is not dividing up tiny things to 300 people.
Seller gets enough to make the order of Bulk stuff. Everyone pays UP FRONT, seller pays the big company. Stuff goes to Seller, seller divides and sends to 'everyone' who ordered.

Usually you pay for the item plus the shipping to you from seller. Oh, also if it needs to be in a bottle the bottle amount too.

I have never understood the Seller's fee (hostess fee). I mean I get it, it is their time BUT they wouldn't be doing it if THEY were not benefiting from it also. JMHO

I have never understood the Seller's fee (hostess fee). I mean I get it, it is their time BUT they wouldn't be doing it if THEY were not benefiting from it also. JMHO
LOL Lin, I think you would quickly change your opinion if you'd hostess one! I've never done a pre-buy but I have done swaps. I think I can safely say, and others who've done it may have horror stories to tell, you literally earn the hostess fee! ..Because of Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong" -- no matter how conscientious you are, how much you plan ahead, or how hard you try to make things go smoothly, things beyond your control can happen and often do. ACK! It is a lot of responsibility. I would also add that it's good to know your participants as well as the hostess.

Are you going to start one or participate in one (Carolyn's Dragon's Blood)?
I put my name in for Carolyn's Dragon Blood. I trust her because all the rest do. I wouldn't start one because I'm not well-known nor do I have the time. Just trying to make sure I'm doing it right (all I did was say I want a #). She doesn't know the address or anything and I didn't want to bother that busy lady!

I put my name in for Carolyn's Dragon Blood. I trust her because all the rest do. I wouldn't start one because I'm not well-known nor do I have the time. Just trying to make sure I'm doing it right (all I did was say I want a #). She doesn't know the address or anything and I didn't want to bother that busy lady!
Then just follow Carolyn's posts. She'll give excellent instructions when she's ready to go. She' got a great DB.

and in Carolyn's case, I believe she's buying it upfront so she'll only sell as much as she has to sell. I bought her DB and it is AH-MAY-ZING!

I HAVE done a few, non soap related and a few soap swaps
like I said JMHO and something I would not charge. If I did them every month/few weeks, I guess , if there were like 50 - 100 people.

I will clarify that I do make a few dollars on my DB, but do not charge for bottles since I still use used bottles. I do not make much it is a very expensive fo to have made from this manufacturer. Before anyone asks I do not know who the supplier is, but friend is not that good a friend to give up the info. :D He does not make anything on it, just does it for me as a courtesy. He has tried 3 other manufacturers and none have been able to duplicate it like this supplier does. Hopefully I still have enough bottles left. I send flat rate or regional boxes, depending on which is the least expensive. I will be posting the buy in the next few days, it has been ordered.

I will clarify that I do make a few dollars on my DB, but do not charge for bottles since I still use used bottles. I do not make much it is a very expensive fo to have made from this manufacturer. Before anyone asks I do not know who the supplier is, but friend is not that good a friend to give up the info. :D He does not make anything on it, just does it for me as a courtesy. He has tried 3 other manufacturers and none have been able to duplicate it like this supplier does. Hopefully I still have enough bottles left. I send flat rate or regional boxes, depending on which is the least expensive. I will be posting the buy in the next few days, it has been ordered.
I am more than happy that you "make a few dollars!"

Back