Powered Caffeine Usage in CP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DessertGuru

Reaction score
Here's a question out of left field...

Does anyone have any experience using pure powered caffeine and adding it to a cp soap formula to make a caffeinated soap?

Specifically - I want to use - https://amoretti.com/collections/extracts/products/caffeine-extract-powder-ws

The Caffeine Powder is water soluble and is a 100 fold in strength. It will be added as a functional ingredient, not for scent, etc.

Thanks...

Personally, I would not use an expensive extract in soap. There's no guarantee that the extract's benefits will survive the saponification process. Save the extracts for a leave-on product like a cream or lotion.

What function will the caffeine provide? That does seems like a pretty expensive caffeine source. I go for cheap pills ;-)

What function will the caffeine provide? That does seems like a pretty expensive caffeine source. I go for cheap pills ;-)

We purchased 2 lbs of the 100 fold powdered extract to use in energy bars and we have some left over. Thought about making a bar soap and lotion. It's a great nutraceutical. As for a cosmetic purpose, caffeine is used as an active compound in anti-cellulite products because it prevents excessive accumulation of fat in cells. This alkaloid stimulates the degradation of fats during lipolysis through inhibition of the phosphodiesterase activity. Caffeine has potent antioxidant properties. It helps protect cells against the UV radiation and slows down the process of photoaging of the skin. Moreover, caffeine contained in cosmetics increases the microcirculation of blood in the skin and also stimulates the growth of hair through inhibition of the 5-α-reductase.

We're looking for dosing guidance. Most people just brew coffee and/or use ground coffee beans. We're looking at it from different point of view.

Same answer as @Cellador , though....you're going to have to do a lot of controlled experimentation to find out how much inhibition occurs during washing, or how much of the antioxidant potential survives the saponification process AND is effective when quickly rubbed on and then rinsed off the skin. As is my argument for breast milk, don't soap with it, put it in your mouth. Or at the very least, rub it into your skin without exposing it to lye.
I make an undereye cream with coffee-infused oil, but that's nice and cheap and I mainly do it for the fragrance.

I have read somewhere that caffeine ON SKIN leaves a tingle on the skin ( after so many soap sites impossible to remember where) ... i have used THAAN body lotion that contained Caffeine and it left a refreshing tingle for quite awhile or maybe was another unspecified component.
Does anyone verify or have any thoughts on this?
Thanks

We purchased 2 lbs of the 100 fold powdered extract to use in energy bars and we have some left over. Thought about making a bar soap and lotion. It's a great nutraceutical. As for a cosmetic purpose, caffeine is used as an active compound in anti-cellulite products because it prevents excessive accumulation of fat in cells. This alkaloid stimulates the degradation of fats during lipolysis through inhibition of the phosphodiesterase activity. Caffeine has potent antioxidant properties. It helps protect cells against the UV radiation and slows down the process of photoaging of the skin. Moreover, caffeine contained in cosmetics increases the microcirculation of blood in the skin and also stimulates the growth of hair through inhibition of the 5-α-reductase.

We're looking for dosing guidance. Most people just brew coffee and/or use ground coffee beans. We're looking at it from different point of view.
I can tell you it does nothing in soap, since soap is a wash-off product. I did make it when it became popular for a few years and it had good label appeal for selling. I never made claims but it sold well for a short time until I am sure, customers realized it did nothing more than any other bar of soap. I used Anyhydrous Caffeine and I am sure I still have some around here. There was a max usage, but I do not remember since it was around 2013 it became popular.

Latest posts

Back