Power Outage...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Searz

Reaction score
I lost power while making hot process soap in crockpots ... and I have an electric stove ... will I be able to salvage the soap when my power returns? It just barely started to get to applesauce stage around the edges!

Hello Lee, the good news is that you don't even have to finish cooking your soap. All properly mixed soap saponifies on its own over time. Hot processing simply speeds up the saponification, but it isn't actually required for making soap.

If you think about it, cold process soap makers don't cook their soap at all; they just mix it up and then pour into molds. You can do the same right now with your partially cooked soap if you'd like. Even if it is not fully "cooked" (i.e., saponified), it will finish the saponification process on its own over time. This will avoid any issues you might run into with trying to reheat a soap batter that has cooled and hardened a bit. Not that reheating it later would hurt the batter in any way; it just makes it more difficult to loosen up and then get into the mold. Best to mold it now while it is still fluid.

Hope that helps, and let us know how it turns out!

Last edited:
thank you Tara you made my day ... and very true ... I do make both hot and cold process ... just assent sure about partially cooked! You just saved me hundreds of dollars ... meaning I didn’t just toss it all out !

Latest posts

Back