Powders in body butters etc

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotsoap

Reaction score
I came a cross a recipe for a whipped shea butter which included Rice powder, Silica Powder, Boron Nitride and Mica powder, I have also seen the recommendation of adding cornstarch. My question is this - are these powders at all pore clogging ? I can't find much info about this so if anyone has a source I'd be grateful. :D

Hi, I don't know the answer to your specific questions, BUT, I did have similar question about which oils clog pores and which don't. I found it much easier to search when I typed in the oil I was questioning along with the word comedogenic.

Hope this helps
Jules

Scotsoap said:
I came a cross a recipe for a whipped shea butter which included Rice powder, Silica Powder, Boron Nitride and Mica powder, I have also seen the recommendation of adding cornstarch. My question is this - are these powders at all pore clogging ? I can't find much info about this so if anyone has a source I'd be grateful. :D

Hi there - I think that recipe came from Coastal Scents.com. I just called Scott and asked a few questions and those ingredients are all non pore clogging. Boron Nitride is used also in mineral make up.

Hope it helps.

Rachelle

Yes itsmeroro it does help - thanks a lot ! I had done some searching and found that those powders mentioned are classed as non-comedogenic, but your input is tremendously helpful. Thanks again :)

Sometimes I use Dri-Flo AF in my body butters to help with the greasey feel, especially when I use shea alone. Dri-Flo AF is from National Starch Co. and is simply modified corn starch and I feel it works very well at low percentages compared to the total weight of the batch. :wink:

Paul

Back