Powdered Milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Soaper

Reaction score
I've considered adding powdered milk to my soap, but not sure how much to use and what effect it might have on the finish product.

Does anyone have experience using powdered milk in soap? If your recipe called from 100 g of distilled water, how many grams of powdered milk would you use?

How does powdered milk improve the finished product.

I have added "Instant" powdered milk to my HP soap at the end of the cook. It gives me a smoother pour. If you are using coarse powdered milk, than dissolve it in a little hot water before adding to soap batter. You should discount the amount of water used to dissolve the powdered milk from the lye water. Since you are using such a small amount of water, I would probably just use 18-20 grams of of powdered milk.

I'm not using 100g of water. Rather, I'm asking, how much powdered milk would you use per 100g of water. As in, "Use 2g of powdered milk for every 100g of water" or something like that.

Are you suggesting 18 to 20 grams of powdered milk per 100 grams of distilled water?

Suggested directions for diluting powdered milk are 1/4 cup powdered milk per 1 cup water. Since there are 15 grams in 1 tablespoon (conversion chart), 18 grams of powdered milk would equal a little over a tablespoon. You can use less if you want.

I use dry milk in my OMH soaps (in addition to liquid buttermilk). I add the dry milk to my oils, which is also where I add my buttermilk and honey, blitz it well before adding the lye solution. I use 1 TBSP for my 2000g batch - but I'm only trying to use up the dry milk (I don't feel comfortable moving it back to the kitchen now that it's been in the soap dungeon), so I'm not as concerned about making a correct milk dilution.

If I were interested in doing it, I would probably do several small batches with varying amounts, cure them and then see which one performs the best.

When I do use milk including camel's milk I always use powdered because I soap with vinegar and masterbatch lye solution. I just add the milk powder to my warm oils and stick blend well before adding in my lye. I do not measure but would guess I use around 4 tbs per 59 oz of oils, sometimes more sometimes less. Personally, I don't find a huge difference when using milk in soap and use it for label appeal, or did use it for label appeal. Milk does add to your superfat so I always figured how much fat in the milk product I was using.

Back