Powdered herbals in syndet poo and conditioner bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decisions

Reaction score
Just read something interesting on a syndet bar FB group about adding extracts to poo/condi bars.

I've been adding 1-3% of various extracts (chamomile, etc) and reducing liquid surfs but the bars are too soft. SCM suggested using powders which I tried at the same percentage but didn't like the look of the bars. Kinda off color, kinda sludgy look with obvious grains from the powders.

Someone on the FB forum said they used powders but at a reduced rate -

Has anyone done this? Would 0.1% powder "equal" 1% liquid extract? 0.5%?

Thoughts?

Sorry, I can't really help (I only make liquid shampoo/conditioner), but just a side note: I would really not like having to deal with solid bits in my shampoo that would get stuck in my hair, so I would not make this even if the bits are small. What benefits would the powders have?

From a formulation point, they won't add liquid to the mixture, helping to keep the bars solid while still adding the benefits of a plant extract.

I've not used herbs in syndet bars either but I would think you'd need a fair amount to do any good. Might not be able to get away from a muddy, speckled look.

I wonder if you could soak some herbs in the liquid surfactant, like a infusion. Would probably still get the color but could strain out the bits.

Just read something interesting on a syndet bar FB group about adding extracts to poo/condi bars.

I've been adding 1-3% of various extracts (chamomile, etc) and reducing liquid surfs but the bars are too soft. SCM suggested using powders which I tried at the same percentage but didn't like the look of the bars. Kinda off color, kinda sludgy look with obvious grains from the powders.

Someone on the FB forum said they used powders but at a reduced rate -

Has anyone done this? Would 0.1% powder "equal" 1% liquid extract? 0.5%?

Thoughts?
I asked a similar question in another FB group. The recipe called for silk amino extract, which is a liquid; I only have silk peptides, which is a powder. I was told to use the silk peptide at the same rate as the extract.

I make liquid syndet shampoo and conditioner and include fruit extract powder from New Directions Aromatics. For the banana and guava ones I have, the recommended usage is no more than 0.5% (unless making a tincture). They don't specify if this is for a liquid or solid product, but if I were to make a solid shampoo bar I would not exceed the 0.5% usage, either. Of course, this may be different when using a different type of extract, but hopefully the supplier would have more info?

(for reference)
https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/products/fruit-extracts/

I make liquid syndet shampoo and conditioner and include fruit extract powder from New Directions Aromatics. For the banana and guava ones I have, the recommended usage is no more than 0.5% (unless making a tincture). They don't specify if this is for a liquid or solid product, but if I were to make a solid shampoo bar I would not exceed the 0.5% usage, either. Of course, this may be different when using a different type of extract, but hopefully the supplier would have more info?

(for reference)
https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/products/fruit-extracts/

From NDA for guava powder - Recommended Usage: The maximum quantity of powdered fruit extract should not exceed 0.5% of the total product, while in tincture form the maximum amount of fruit extract must not exceed 5%.

^ Interesting - implies a 10:1 ratio of a liquid extract to a powder

The supplier for the powders that I have doesn't list a range - :(

Re silk amino acids - I have that in both powder and liquid and have used both in the poo/condi bars. The powder seems to work as well as the liquid.
I've not used herbs in syndet bars either but I would think you'd need a fair amount to do any good. Might not be able to get away from a muddy, speckled look.

I wonder if you could soak some herbs in the liquid surfactant, like a infusion. Would probably still get the color but could strain out the bits.

I was thinking the same thing - trying an infusion into the liquid surfs. Hmmmm

Back