Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Soaper

Reaction score
Powdered Whole Egg, Powdered Egg Yolk, and Powdered Egg White are all readily available and easy to obtain.

What benefit would any of those have for making soap?

The egg soaps I have made all have lots of bubbles and feel quite nice to use. I have also found that if there is Egg in soap made with a bit more CO than my skin normally likes, the egg (probably the protein in the egg) offsets the harshness of the CO.

So, it lends to bubbles and a very nice lather in soaps with less CO, and offsets some harshness of soaps with a higher amount of CO.

Color is another thing that egg yolks bring to the soap. Egg whites lend no color to the soap, so when I want that extra boost but no color, I have used egg white only and still had the extra bubbles & lather with no added color.

But for the best combination, in my experience, the soap with whole egg added was best.

I have not personally used the powdered versions in soap, but I did a bit of hiking in my youth; dehydrated food provided sufficient nutrients to maintain energy for lengthy trips, so I have no doubt it will do the same for soap.

The egg soaps I have made all have lots of bubbles and feel quite nice to use. I have also found that if there is Egg in soap made with a bit more CO than my skin normally likes, the egg (probably the protein in the egg) offsets the harshness of the CO.

So, it lends to bubbles and a very nice lather in soaps with less CO, and offsets some harshness of soaps with a higher amount of CO.

Color is another thing that egg yolks bring to the soap. Egg whites lend no color to the soap, so when I want that extra boost but no color, I have used egg white only and still had the extra bubbles & lather with no added color.

But for the best combination, in my experience, the soap with whole egg added was best.

I have not personally used the powdered versions in soap, but I did a bit of hiking in my youth; dehydrated food provided sufficient nutrients to maintain energy for lengthy trips, so I have no doubt it will do the same for soap.

Thanks for all the information. If I decide to use eggs, I'll purchase the powdered variety -- much easier to use exactly how much I want to use.

Latest posts

Back