Powdered coconut milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
How much of this do I use to make it 50% coconut milk? The powder I have does not have directions on how to mix it up.

It does depend to some degree on the brand, but if winging it I assume an oz per 8 oz of milk if reconstituting as milk. So if, eg, you were adding cm as the lye liquid at the 50% rate and wanted to add the equivalent of 8 oz worth of actual/liquid milk, I'd put in half an oz. I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
Thank you, it does make sense and I'll put a note on the container. This was something I bought in bulk so I have no idea what brand it is.

I've already made my batch and since I didn't know the amount, I just guessed and used 1/4 cup for a 2 lb recipe. I doubt it was enough but I'll weigh it next time.

Maybe if you looked at the company's website, it might have instructions on mixing it up?

Its from a little country store ran by mennonites, I'll have to wait until I go back to ask.They have some of the best spices and goodies around, its a great little store.

Oh, yeah -- that puts a different face on matters. Hopefully they can help!

How do you go about mixing the powdered milk in? Do you mix it with the cool lye water? I find that mind doesn't dissolve easily.

I mix it with enough hot water to make a thick slurry, even then it can be a pain to mix in. If needed, I use the stick blender to get it smooth, then I mix it into my oils before adding the lye. Make sure any water you use is deducted from your recipe total.

I can't help on mixing, but I found out where our local "Amish" store gets their bulk foods-

http://www.bulkfoods.com/content/51-categories

They have lots of stuff I can't get locally, and a flat $5.00 shipping that can't be beat.

Here's another site's mixing directions-

Suggested Use: To replace a glass of cow's milk mix 1 - 2 tablespoons (6g - 12g) of coconut milk powder with water. Coconut milk powder is also delicious when mixed with juice, yogurt, or added to your favorite smoothie.

To make "light coconut milk" mix 1/2 cup (40g) of coconut milk powder with 1 cup warm water.

To make "coconut cream" mix 1.5 cups (120g) coconut milk powder with 1 cup of warm water.

From - http://www.znaturalfoods.com/Coconut-Milk-Powder-5-lbs

Last edited:
Back