Powdered buttermilk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
I have been experimenting with powdered milks and beer powder. Going well so far but I can't find as much information on using powdered buttermilk. The only powdered buttermilk I found has dairy whey and lactic acid. I don't think those ingredients will be a problem but I would like to hear about anyone else who has used powdered buttermilk. Let me know how it worked and what brand of powdered buttermilk you used.

I use that brand of powdered buttermilk in my triple butter soap. I mix in 1 scoop pp of oils. I add it to the oils and mix it in. Then I wait a couple of minutes and mix it in again. I find that by waiting a minute and mixing a second time it has time to hydrate in the oils.

Watch it during the first couple of hours after making it. I found that it heats up more than GM powder.

I use that brand of powdered buttermilk in my triple butter soap. I mix in 1 scoop pp of oils. I add it to the oils and mix it in. Then I wait a couple of minutes and mix it in again. I find that by waiting a minute and mixing a second time it has time to hydrate in the oils.

Watch it during the first couple of hours after making it. I found that it heats up more than GM powder.
Thanks, that really helps. I'm going to try it this weekend

You mentioned triple butter, what 3 butters did you use and are they all powered, how much of each one did you use? If you don't mind telling me. I am wanting to add a couple of butter soaps for when I start selling. I am hoping to be ready to sell by December or January. I don't think any of the butter soaps will be ready by then but if I start now I could have some butter soap ready by May.

You mentioned triple butter, what 3 butters did you use and are they all powered, how much of each one did you use? If you don't mind telling me. I am wanting to add a couple of butter soaps for when I start selling. I am hoping to be ready to sell by December or January. I don't think any of the butter soaps will be ready by then but if I start now I could have some butter soap ready by May.
I use shea, mango and cocoa butters all in solid form. I do 5% on each. My girlfriends love it as a facial bar.

I have been experimenting with powdered milks and beer powder. Going well so far but I can't find as much information on using powdered buttermilk. The only powdered buttermilk I found has dairy whey and lactic acid. I don't think those ingredients will be a problem but I would like to hear about anyone else who has used powdered buttermilk. Let me know how it worked and what brand of powdered buttermilk you used.
Yes, powdered buttermilk is generally from cows - so it would include dairy whey and lactic acid. While powdered coconut, for example, would not include dairy whey - because it's not a dairy product.

Back