Pouring temps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi so today i tried my first melt and pour by doing 2 layers 1 with honey mp and the other shea and oatmeal mp. First layer was honey fine. Now the shea. I thought i had to wait until my mix was 120f but before this it went hard quite. So when do i pour it? And what do i do about the skin? I blieve the melting point of the honey is 135f and the shea 120f if that helps. Thanks

I can only speak to what I do when I use MP (not often) mostly for imbeds. I just pour the first layer and spray with alcohol then wait for a skin to form, melt my next layer till just melted, spray the first again with alcohol then pour my next layer. Again, I don't do a lot of MP.

Don't melt it too hot or it can cause all types of issues. 30 seconds at a time for 8 ounces until melted stir in between. I wouldn't heat it more than 160 degrees at the very most.

I melt using the double boiler method which is much easier to control. Maybe its going to be a bit of trial and error to see at what point the mix is too hot and penetrates the layer underneath.

Back