Pouring Temperature.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs T

Reaction score
Hi all soapmakers, hope you are all keeping well and safe ❤️

I have a question about pouring temperature for M&P.

Posted a couple of questions recently but am new to soaping. I have been playing/learning and all I have read or seen on tutorials states that the temperature of the soap should be around 120°f when layering or embedding with soap to prevent melting but I am finding that this is too cold and my soap has half turned solid again making it a nightmare to pour.
I did successfully layer and embed (so super proud of my little self so photo attached) at at a temp of 130°f but even this seems borderline/close to solidifying, but at the sane time I
DSC_0770.JPG
am concerned that this could melt and ruin future designs.

For those of you who are more experienced what are your views/experiences with this? Any guidance or tips are appreciated.

Thankyou in advance for any replies 😊

I have not done embeds, only layering. With layering, once the previous layer registers about 90 F, then I can pour the next layer. The layer I am pouring needs to be about 130 F. Like you, I found that at 125 F or lower, it tends to get clumpy.

Like your design by the way, quite lovely.

I have not done embeds, only layering. With layering, once the previous layer registers about 90 F, then I can pour the next layer. The layer I am pouring needs to be about 130 F. Like you, I found that at 125 F or lower, it tends to get clumpy.
Thankyou for your reply. At least I know it isn't just me now, i was sure I was doing something wrong!

Like your design by the way, quite lovely.
Thankyou 😊

You need to have the soap cool enough that the embed won’t sink to the bottom Different bases have different melting points so 130 may have been a good working point for that base. Stephenson’s bases have a higher melting point so I like those for embeds in soap made with a lower melting point. That way there are no worries about the embed melting.

You need to have the soap cool enough that the embed won’t sink to the bottom Different bases have different melting points so 130 may have been a good working point for that base. Stephenson’s bases have a higher melting point so I like those for embeds in soap made with a lower melting point. That way there are no worries about the embed melting.
Hi, thank you for your reply, that absolutely makes sense! I need to check but here in the UK (and anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong) i believe we are limited to one base when getting our cosmetic reports to allow legal sale of soaps etc. I will have to see if this could be done as an 'added extra' im betting at a large extra cost too to get these approved ....but thankyou it's definitely worth me looking into 👍

Hi all soapmakers, hope you are all keeping well and safe ❤

I have a question about pouring temperature for M&P.

Posted a couple of questions recently but am new to soaping. I have been playing/learning and all I have read or seen on tutorials states that the temperature of the soap should be around 120°f when layering or embedding with soap to prevent melting but I am finding that this is too cold and my soap has half turned solid again making it a nightmare to pour.
I did successfully layer and embed (so super proud of my little self so photo attached) at at a temp of 130°f but even this seems borderline/close to solidifying, but at the sane time I View attachment 46041am concerned that this could melt and ruin future designs.

For those of you who are more experienced what are your views/experiences with this? Any guidance or tips are appreciated.

Thankyou in advance for any replies 😊
That's so lovely, very effective! The colours remind me of coconut ice, is it coconut-scented? 😍

That's so lovely, very effective! The colours remind me of coconut ice, is it coconut-scented? 😍
Thankyou, I actually used strawberry but wasn't sure about that particular scent with the soap design. I love the idea of coconut ❤️ thankyou!

Your design is very cute! And I agree with you, lower than 130 F tents to get solidified before I even try to pour. I try to keep the temperature around 140-160 too

Back