Poured soap too soon?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summer

Reaction score
Hi,
I am still new at making cp soaps. Last night I made a batch of soap, and this morning I went to check on it and it was the consistency of Crisco. Did I pour it in the mold too soon? It seems to take a very long time to trace, is this normal? I guess I wasn't patient enough to wait forever, so I poured it when I saw some little lines on top. If it doesn't harden by tonight, what should I do with the whole batch (over 64oz)? Can I remelt it and keep stirring till it becomes thicker and traces. How do you know when it is ready to pour? Is it obvious when it traces? Any suggestions would be so helpful. Thanks.

Your water amount should have been 22ozs
and your lye should have been 12.35 (12.3ozs) lye

you used too much water. thats why its still soft.

I checked on it this morning, and it's a little harder, but still not solid. You could definetly put your finger through it if you pushed hard. If I leave it in the mold for a week will it eventually harden enough to where I can cut it into bar slices? What should I do with it? Should I throw it out, or can I reheat it and just stir it until it traces? Is this possible?

Well, it finally hardened, but when I went to make a cut, it just broke off. So, it's very brittle. I just grated the soap and I find something to do with it.

I'd just rebatch it. There are several ways to rbatch soap. I use my crock pot started out on high for about 10 minutes to warm it up, then turn it to low and add my soap. Since you graded it, that will work fine. just cover and let alone for a few hours, then check and stir up well about every 20 minutes until melted down. You won't need any extra liquids since it was so water heavy. Just keep it off the sides and keep from scorching. You might want to add a bit more FO or EO just before you pour or spoon into your mold again. Rebatched soap, or remilled soap is a hostile sometimes, but it always gets better the second or third time around (triple milling) doing this process. You might try to add a bit of salt to the mix, as I think it helps the rebatched soap pour better into your mold! 8)

Paul.... :wink:

Back