Poured Palm & Palm Shortening Test

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh nice! I can't wait to hear (and see) how it goes. The SAP value for regular palm on SoapCalc is 0.142 and you said the palm shortening is 0.138. Did you use a different oil with the 0.138 value to calculate or did you just enter it as regular palm oil?

I tested them again today. Although palm is not a great lathering oil, I can say the palm gives a thick lotion lather that will kick up bubbles if you apply more water. The initial lotion lather from the palm shortening is not as thick and creamy but also kicks up some bubbles when more water is added. As you can see these are not fully cured but they are close enough that I am going to put one of each in the shower and see how they hold up. Will update

Okay I just tested the soapies again. I am finding no difference other than the palm shortening does not seem to trace quite as fast as the regular palm oil. They are lasting the same, I wash with each at the same time and actually set them on a damp sponge, wanted to see how fast they melt. I am still using the first two which I started testing on 7/21. There is no sign of color change, no hint of dos. Price for me is Cibaria Palm $1.19 per lb plus gas for will call. Smart & Final Palm shortening is $.66 per lb and a 7 min drive. This is certainly a no brainer. Unfortunately I know not all of you have access to S&F and that is a bummer. I wonder if it is the same as Soapers Choice Homogenized

Okay I just tested the soapies again. I am finding no difference other than the palm shortening does not seem to trace quite as fast as the regular palm oil. They are lasting the same, I wash with each at the same time and actually set them on a damp sponge, wanted to see how fast they melt. I am still using the first two which I started testing on 7/21. There is no sign of color change, no hint of dos. Price for me is Cibaria Palm $1.19 per lb plus gas for will call. Smart & Final Palm shortening is $.66 per lb and a 7 min drive. This is certainly a no brainer. Unfortunately I know not all of you have access to S&F and that is a bummer. I wonder if it is the same as Soapers Choice Homogenized

Because of your original post Cmzaha, I picked up a 50# box of the first street stuff. I'm glad that you are sharing this information, thank you!

Oh nice! I can't wait to hear (and see) how it goes. The SAP value for regular palm on SoapCalc is 0.142 and you said the palm shortening is 0.138. Did you use a different oil with the 0.138 value to calculate or did you just enter it as regular palm oil?

If this is the wrong way of doing it, then I just made a huge error with two batches curing on my shelf. I read on some soaping article you inputted it as palm oil as long as it was not hydrogenated. Now I'm concerned I have received bad information. :(

If this is the wrong way of doing it, then I just made a huge error with two batches curing on my shelf. I read on some soaping article you inputted it as palm oil as long as it was not hydrogenated. Now I'm concerned I have received bad information. :(
The sap for Crisco new /palm sap is 0.138 which is what I use for my palm shortening. Your soaps should still be fine with a good cure. If they do not zap they are fine

The sap for Crisco new /palm sap is 0.138 which is what I use for my palm shortening. Your soaps should still be fine with a good cure. If they do not zap they are fine

Well thank goodness. A run through soapcalc is basically just saying the creaminess will be lower than what I was going for.

I will remember to input palm shortening as Crisco w/ palm from now on! Thank you!

I see I am going to be heading to smart & final very soon... Between the palm shortening and tallow there I will be stocked up for quite a while.

Now it just has to cool down here so I can store it without fear of melting!

Latest posts

Back