Pourable?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 28270

Reaction score
I have a shave soap that I'm very happy with. I've been making it in very small test batches. I need to ramp up production to a significantly larger batch size.

The problem\question I have is with packaging. I'm currently using an ice cream scooper to plop a glob into the jar and bang the jar on the counter a few times to get the soap to settle in. After the first couple, the soap is getting more firm and this becomes harder to do.

So can I simply add a lot more aloe vera juice to get the product to be more pourable and just allow for a longer cure time? Or will adding more liquid change the soap into a soft goop that never firms up?

I know I can try and see what happens, but thought I'd ask first to save on costs.

Thanks!

"..After the first couple, the soap is getting more firm and this becomes harder to do...."

Since you've told us absolutely nothing about your soap or how you make it, it's tough to give decent advice about what will work. The only clue I can glean from your post is this tidbit I've quoted. From this, I wonder -- are you using a hot process method? Why not keep the soap sufficiently warm during packaging to maintain the fluidity you want?

I guess I was really vague. It is hot process dual lye. Not including various additives, the base is 40% stearic acid, 20% tallow with the rest butters/oils.
I do let it cool down before adding fragrance

I'd much rather keep the soap warm enough to package than enough add extra liquid to make the soap stay soft enough to package. It could take a loooong time to firm up -- even with the lid off, water can only evaporate off the top of the soap.

Back