pour separated - need help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perry

Reaction score
Pour separated into two layers when cooled. How can I prevent this from happening? Also can I remelt and pour again?

Thx, Perry

If it was melt & pour you MUST spray the dry layer heavily with rubbing alcohol & pour the second layer quickly BEFORE before the alcohol evaporates. This is true anytime you want to make layers, insert soap chunks or even toys into the soap base. It acts as a glue kinda sorts....

Yes, you can remelt the base & start over.

Nope, it was not a melt & pour... We mixed lard/lye and cooked the soap... But when we poured it, it separated into 2 layers with some oil in the boundary. The ambient temp was 96*F when we poured, and we did not want layers at all...

:cry:

Was this a CP or HP soap? I know you said you cooked the soap but I am just wanting to make sure. Did you use milk or honey in the recipe? How accurate were your weights? If CP, your mixture might have gotten too hot and separated. Or you could have got a false trace. If HP, perhaps your soap didn't fully saponify during the cook. I don't do HP so that is just a guess.

You can grate it down and rebatch and see how it comes out.

Sounds like it didnt trace, or maybe you had very light trace and it wasnt enough and the soap seperated.. but said "cook" HP soap?

Care to share so we can help?

Back