Pour new layer over cured soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyp

Reaction score
Hey there.

Made a two layer soap, but forgot my OO for the top layer. (facepalm)

I let it cure and cut it out. I will rebatch the top layer separately, but I'm wondering- if I simply make a new top layer and pour it over the other cured soap will it adhere? Or, after the new layer cures, will it tend to come apart?

Advice? Experience?

Thanks!!

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can re-batch lye heavy soap if it's been more than 24-hours. You may need to toss that.

Yes, it does work to pour one layer, let it dry, and then pour another layer. I've done it same day and next day successfully. I don't know what happens if you wait longer than that.

You can rebatch that top layer just fine as long as you know what you whats missing from it. If you don't, I wouldn't really attempt to rebatch. Too much guess work. You can use it as a laundry soap in that case.

Since you already let the bottom cure, I'd warm it in the oven at 170 for a bit and score the top before pouring the new batch. Make sure the top soap gels. The heat and gelling itself will help make the new soap adhere to the existing soap.

I wouldn't pour rebatch soap on top of the existing bottom though becasue it would have a very hard time adhering. You're going to need to make a new CP batch to pour on top of the existing bottom. Use the rebatched top for another soap or pour it into individual molds.

I've poured a new layer on long after I made the soap. One layer, like yours, was lye heavy but I was hoping it was mild enough to cure out. No go. I did just what galaxy said in terms of some prep work and using fresh soap for the new layer, although I did not preheat the soap. I did gel however. I did this well over a year ago and it's still holding together!

This all makes perfect sense to me. If you think about it, it's not really different from using CP inclusions or confetti soap. I don't recall seeing a lot of posts about how those sorts of things are falling out.

Remembering how we caution people not to grease their molds with olive oil, b/c it will just saponify and glue the soap to the mold, I thought I was very clever and painted a thin layer of OO over a layer of week-old soap, then pour new soap on top of it. NOPE.

Back