potatoes/starch in CP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've been trying to come up with a soap that has "local flair" and being from Idaho, I was thinking about potatoes.
Before I go and do something I shouldn't, anyone know what a starchy juice might do? I was thinking about using potatoes juice in place of part water or maybe even adding in some instant potato flakes.
Fun idea or just stupid?

Reactions: BWt
I am not sure, but I think Hazel once made potato soap. You might send her a pm.

Cute idea! You'll have to let us know what happens if you try it.

When I visited Idaho a few years ago I bought some potato Lotion and it was pretty good.

Corn starch is said to give more bubbles, so it's very plausible that the starch in the potato will do the same thing. I'm wondering if potato wouldn't discolour. When exposed to air, they get that brownish blackish purple colour. Maybe try putting a bit of lye on a raw potato and see what colour you get. That might give you an idea of what to expect when lye meets potato and help you pick out suitable colourants and scent.

I spoke with someone who made a potato soap before, she used raw potato and it did discolor to a medium brown. I'm going to cook my potato and hope for the best. I'll not use any color but I think I'll do a spiced cranberry/orange blend.

Sounds lovely! Not colouring the soap will give you a chance to see what its basic colour is when using boiled potatoes and that's always good to know. Did your friend mention anything about the lather? In any case, I'll be curious to hear how your soap turns out and what qualities it has. :)

Last edited:
That's a great idea for an Idaho soap. I've been toying with an idea for a soap that represents my resident state, Oklahoma. Now I'm thinking we should have a State Soap challenge!

She said there was a bit more lather with the potato. I was thinking about using a bit of ground cloves to do a speckled swirl, that way it will look interesting while still being natural.
I'll have to save a bit to make a couple "potatoes" with, that could be really cute. I actually though about using purple potatoes but we all know what most purple does in soap. I'd end up with rotten grey potato colored bars.

That's a great idea for an Idaho soap. I've been toying with an idea for a soap that represents my resident state, Oklahoma. Now I'm thinking we should have a State Soap challenge!

That is a great idea! Sounds really fun:)

I love the state soap challenge idea! California can have so many interpretations, some of them in my freezer right now. Hey, I have goat milk, sea kelp and pureed sangria.

potato starch should increase lather and the soap feel should be silkier/smoother. Let us know when you make it?

Bumping this thread because I like it. I spent most of my life living in North West Alberta Canada .. so the only thing I can think of for a regional soap is SNOW!

We also grew a lot of canola around that area but I have a feeling no one would want to use yellow snow soap, LOL!

Bumping this thread because I like it. I spent most of my life living in North West Alberta Canada .. so the only thing I can think of for a regional soap is SNOW!

We also grew a lot of canola around that area but I have a feeling no one would want to use yellow snow soap, LOL!
ooh, I think a hard pass on the yellow snow soap. haha.
This may be too generic but a Canadian soap could be Maple infused somehow?
I am really curious about the potato soap. Has anyone used starch in soap before? Im thinking of adding it to cold process in the phase where one adds fragrance and other additives. thoughts?

I spent summers in oklahoma city with my great grandmother and was always fascinated by the red clay. Perhaps that could inspire you for Oklahoma?

ooh, I think a hard pass on the yellow snow soap. haha.
This may be too generic but a Canadian soap could be Maple infused somehow?
I am really curious about the potato soap. Has anyone used starch in soap before? Im thinking of adding it to cold process in the phase where one adds fragrance and other additives. thoughts?
Just some info, this thread is from 9 yrs ago and mzmolly hasn't been around for 5 yrs so not likely to see your quoted post to her.lf you look at the top left hand side of each post the date that it was made is there, a lot of people from this far back are not here anymore.

I spent summers in oklahoma city with my great grandmother and was always fascinated by the red clay. Perhaps that could inspire you for Oklahoma?
This person hasn't been here for 3 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back