Potato soap update

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Others here use boiled pasta water for their lye solution. I think Zany does. I have not tried it myself because I never boil pasta without added oil to prevent pasta from sticking together & I always use my boiled pasta water in soup (I make a lot of soup).
Naturally, I have to ask why? I've never heard of doing that with pasta water, let alone making soap.

Hey everyone.......what do you think about using boiled pasta water???
Now thats a thought' hmm. Sorry for my late reply just saw your post.

Others here use boiled pasta water for their lye solution. I think Zany does. I have not tried it myself because I never boil pasta without added oil to prevent pasta from sticking together & I always use my boiled pasta water in soup (I make a lot of soup).
I add oil to my pasta water too.

I realise that I never posted an update on my potato soap. Of course, I had forgotten! And after all these years, I don't know anymore. So, I made another one. I used mashed potatoes as part of the water amount and added them to the melted oils before adding the lye mixture. It thickened a bit but not massively.
The soap feels very bubbly but whether it is the recipe or the mashed potatoes, I am not sure... It feels very nice anyway.
Thank you for posting. Thats sounds like a nice moisturizing bar soap, I like your soap stamp too. 💫🧼

The water left over after you've boiled the pasta will have starch in it. So it will help thicken a soup.
Good to know. 💫👍🏼

I have a fabulous recipe for a GF orange cake with mashed Potato instead of flour. Sounds awful but it is great.
I've never used it in soap. But you can use rice so I guess it's just like another starch.
Wow' now thats interesting, Im thinking your cake would be super moist, i'd never think of replacing flour w/ potatoes but would be healthier in many ways. @nframe posted her picture above using mashed potatoes.

Ive tried aquafaba in my soap & it makes wonderful lather. but i can detect a underlining pungent scent' just as I did w/ raw potato juice in my recent soap' maybe its me but I wont use it cause of it.

Last edited:
The water left over after you've boiled the pasta will have starch in it. So it will help thicken a soup.
On that thought, what of the water from rinseing your rice before you cook it? (Sticky sushi rice most commonly but probably other types of rice as well)
It's a rice water of sorts and probably has some starch. 🤔

Naturally, I have to ask why? I've never heard of doing that with pasta water, let alone making soap.
Why what?

Why I add oil to pasta water to prevent the pasta from sticking together & to prevent the water from boiling over? Because my mother taught me to do it this way and it is also recommended by just about every Italian cook I've ever seen on Cooking shows as well as in cookbooks I have read.

For finer questions of oil preventing pasta from sticking together (some say noodles don't stick even without added oil) - I find that lasagana noodles do stick together, and that even spaghetti noodles can stick together without added oil, in spite of some articles online that claim otherwise. Even home-made pasta (I do make my own pasta sometimes) still benefit from added oil in the boiling water. But that's me; others may do it differently, and I am not saying they have to cook the way I cook.

Why I use the pasta water in making soup? Because it adds to the flavor and since soup requires added water, less waste of water. I usually save the pasta water from pasta one day and make soup with it the next. Sometimes I use the pasta water for steaming vegetables or tamales, etc. (just another way of not wasting water.) Then that goes into soup when soup is on my agenda within a day or so.

Ive tried aquafaba in my soap & it makes wonderful lather. but i can detect a underlining pungent scent' just as I did w/ raw potato juice in my recent soap' maybe its me but I wont use it cause of it.
I had to look that up. Water from cooking chickpeas (garbanzo beans) is what I found. Another thing I love! I actually sometimes drink that water because I love how it tastes. Or I add it to soup. I suspect it would really add a wonderful lather to soap as well. Brilliant.

On that thought, what of the water from rinseing your rice before you cook it? (Sticky sushi rice most commonly but probably other types of rice as well)
It's a rice water of sorts and probably has some starch. 🤔
Yes, rice water added to soap. We have a few threads here at SMF about that. Search for Dawni's Triple Rice soap.

Last edited:
I had to look that up. Water from cooking chickpeas (garbanzo beans) is what I found. Another thing I love! I actually sometimes drink that water because I love how it tastes. Or I add it to soup. I suspect it would really add a wonderful lather to soap as well. Brilliant.

Yes, rice water added to soap. We have a few threads here at SMF about that. Search for Dawni's Triple Rice soap.
@earlene I buy the "caned garbanzo beans" drain the liquid off & use that. save the beans for humus' yummy' I love the lather it gives in soap' it doesn't take that much either. I never tasted it' hmm next time I'll take a swig. 🤗🧼💫

Last edited:
I had to look that up. Water from cooking chickpeas (garbanzo beans) is what I found.
The term “Aquafaba” usually refers to the liquid that is drained out of a can of beans, but can also refer to the bean cooking water. I’ve used both to make some fun recipes like vegan macaroons. My experience is that the liquid from the cans is more consistent in texture and easier to use.

I’m not on Facebook anymore, but used to belong to a group called “What Fat Vegans Eat.” 😁 They had some great aquafaba recipes. I also got an aquafaba recipe ebook on Amazon. I’m personally not vegan or even vegetarian, but I do like having tasty things available for family and friends who are.

The term “Aquafaba” usually refers to the liquid that is drained out of a can of beans, but can also refer to the bean cooking water. I’ve used both to make some fun recipes like vegan macaroons. My experience is that the liquid from the cans is more consistent in texture and easier to use.

I’m not on Facebook anymore, but used to belong to a group called “What Fat Vegans Eat.” 😁 They had some great aquafaba recipes. I also got an aquafaba recipe ebook on Amazon. I’m personally not vegan or even vegetarian, but I do like having tasty things available for family and friends who are.
Ive read the liquid from Garbanzo Beans can be whipped up like " Whipping Cream" who knew? however I've never tried it, but its mainly used this way for Vegans or vegetarians.

Latest posts

Back