Potato soap update

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
6 months ago I made a batch of soap using around 5oz of pureed potato. I never really did try it after cure since I have so many other soaps to try.

Well, I just pulled a bar out and washed my hand and its great! I had handfuls of huge lush bubbles just running down my arms. Skin feels really nice too, will try it in the shower tomorrow.

I can't find my notes on this batch tonight but I'll locate them tomorrow. If I remember right, it was just a basic recipe made HP.
I think I need to try potato in my reformulated basic recipe so I can really compare lather but so far, I really like what I see.

This is very interesting. I've never thought to put potato in soap. I'll be interested to know what your notes say. What made you think of putting in potato? Was it the starch/sugar content?

I found my notes, it was just a real basic recipe and I do still have a couple soap made from the same one but without the potato so I'll compare them later today.
I was trying to come up with a local soap that might appeal to tourist or be a interesting novelty item, I live in Idaho so using potato seemed the way to go.

I made potato soap a few yrs ago and found it gives a great lathering soap. I just did not like the look of the tiny specks it would leave in the soap, same goes for using plantains. Once in awhile if I have leftover mashed potatoes and I am making a dark soap I will dump them in. Not much I have not tried in soap...:D

I don't notice any dark specks but I also added a tiny bit of cinnamon so maybe I just can't tell the difference. I did blend mine in a bullet blender and strain it though so I only used a fine puree in the soap.

I did use it this morning in the shower and so far, my skin feels really nice. I used 8% SF in my base recipe but I did add a little extra avocado for SF since it was HP. My skin also has a nice lingering cinnamon scent but I know it won't last too much more.

Hazel was kind enough to send me a sample of her potato soap and I must say I really loved it. The potato adds so much to the final recipe.

Thanks for the update from your own batches. One question for you though, did you use cooked potatoes or raw?

Oh all you forum people are terrible!! :crazy: Now I have another experiment in my book!!! I have 4 waiting to be tried - all from this forum!! :wink: It is one of my favorite things to do - try new things with a twist. :cool:

Thats what we are here for:lol:

Keep in mind, when I made this soap it separated something terrible. It took a good 10 minutes of hand whipping to get it back together. I did add the potato to the lye, turned into a thick gooey mess, maybe that had something to do with it.
My next potato soap will be made CP and I will add the puree at thick trace and I'll prevent gel by freezing. Hopefully that way it won't separate but if it does, I'll HP it back into shape.

Oh, I want to try this now too! This sounds like a good one to add to a holiday scented soap. I love the Idaho relationship though!

I made soap with purple potatoes last year thinking that beautiful deep color would come through. The answer is a big fat nope, looks like a regular bar of soap. The lather is wonderful though, and it feels very nice on my skin.

Potato soap on the menu for today. I saved the water from last night's potato and was thinking I would throw in some of the leftovers but realized at the last minute that I put some Cheeze Whiz in the mash so can't add them to the soap. I guess I'll just make mine with potato water.

I was trying to come up with a local soap that might appeal to tourist or be a interesting novelty item, I live in Idaho so using potato seemed the way to go.

I never thought of potato!! That's a great experiment.

When I lived in south bc I would get my coconut oil from Bonners while getting my groceries there too. We were allowed one bag of Idaho potatoes to bring back. :) and Idaho does have awesome potatoes.

Small world.

Back