Potassium Citrate vs. Sodium Citrate?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnez

What if I....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With some batches down I think I'm ready to leap into the world of additives. The background for this question is I'm making shave soaps and use 100% KOH and would like to continue going the heavy KOH route (possibly with some 10-30% NaOH in the future) and have heard it advised to keep the citrate the same as the lye. However I have also heard it likely doesn't matter. I would procure potassium citrate, however it is difficult to find in some soap supplier sites and I'd like to combine my orders and these sites generally have sodium citrate. Perhaps an easy compromise would be citric acid with added lye. Hmm. Any wise words?

As a citric-acid-the-hard-way-with-all-the-math savant, I can hardly be neutral. But with the alkali salts, and all other things (like price, availability) equal, potassium citrate is the better choice IMHO. A few % of potassium won't do much harm to bar soap (except a slight increase in lather, and calming castile slime), but a few % sodium in liquid soap can mess up your thickness (mind the salt curve).

As a citric-acid-the-hard-way-with-all-the-math savant, I can hardly be neutral. But with the alkali salts, and all other things (like price, availability) equal, potassium citrate is the better choice IMHO. A few % of potassium won't do much harm to bar soap (except a slight increase in lather, and calming castile slime), but a few % sodium in liquid soap can mess up your thickness (mind the salt curve).
Interesting information regarding KOH and the slime RO, I've never run across that piece of information. After making shave soap with a hefty amount of RBO, and being thoroughly satisfied I'm kinda tempted to ramp it up. Anti-oleic shave soapers can look away lol.

For as little as is used in soap, either potassium citrate or sodium citrate will be fine unless you're a purist and insist on everything having to be "matching".
Thank you DeeAnna. I'm purist/matchy only if there's a benefit, any benefit at all. Glad to know I won't be missing anything.

Latest posts

Back