poster removed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mouse. My guess is that they overheated. Is it the first time soaping these 2 FOs? If they heat up anyway, maybe the one hour at 170 is too much for this particular FO. I'm basing that more on the way the tops of the Nag and Rose soap look (sort of crinkly, alligator skin). I get this type of top when my soaps overheat. I've really stopped leaving my oven on at all. I heat it up to 170, then turn it off and put the soap in for a few hours at least. If it's a soap that doesn't seem to be heating up quick enough, I will turn it back on for just a minute or two.

Will the soap gel in the wooden mold on the table covered in a towel? My wooden molds always gel so much better on the table than my silicone molds. I don't even put my wooden molds in the oven.

I can't speak to the crystals on the first batch. If they don't zap, perhaps it's some form of ash.

Based on the last photo, I do believe your soap is overheating. Especially if you're using wood molds. I preheat my oven to low (170) and turn it off before I put my soap in. Even then, occasionally I get overheating, even with a silicone mold.

Regarding the bubbles, they might also be the result of overheating. If you check the sides of your soap and they look pock marked instead of smooth, it's probably the result of steam bubbles. Or, assuming your stick blender technique is good (you burp the bell, don't pick it up and put it back in), your seal may be damaged. In that case, you probably need a new one. This happened to me with a fairly pricey Cuisinart stainless steel model. I replaced it with a plastic Hamilton Beach (about $19 at KMart) and it's been going strong for at least a year.

overheating - yes. plus it may be that your SB is indeed acting up.
If it's an Oster brand, just throw it away - I hate that brand. But actually any brand can lose a seal somewhere and start adding bubbles to your soap.

Back