Post your happy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My happy is that I received my big order of soap making supplies yesterday which included a box of dried flowers for decorations, and it was so much better than I thought it would be. All the pretty colors and smells. It was so inexpensive too. All I need to get to start soap making for the first time is a thermometer, a scale, and a mixing bowl. I can't wait to get started!

I'm also seriously happy right now because I've seen the Snyder Cut of Justice League. I don't expect most of you to understand what that is, but I'm on cloud nine right now! Any DC comics fans out there?
Exciting! :) FYI, while you definitely need a good scale for soaping, you don't actually need a thermometer for soaping. If the oils and lye have cooled off enough that you can comfortably rest your hand on the side of the container to feel a gentle warmth, then they are cool enough for soaping. Mixing bowls are very easy to come by at the Dollar Store, or a thrift store; if possible, look for the #2 or #5 in the recycle symbol.

I've been visiting goodwill every week and amassed a very good collection. I'm hoping this week they will have what I need. If not, I might just break down and buy something new. 😗 I was wondering about the plastic numbers. I knew #5 was okay, but I hadn't heard about #2. Thanks for that!

Actually the #2 will be more heat resistant than the #5, but either will work.

I love that you are scouring the thrift stores. I love doing that and scored a great folding craft table. Brand new they are usually $300+ so I was thrilled to take it, scuffs and all, for $20.

Exciting! :) FYI, while you definitely need a good scale for soaping, you don't actually need a thermometer for soaping. If the oils and lye have cooled off enough that you can comfortably rest your hand on the side of the container to feel a gentle warmth, then they are cool enough for soaping. Mixing bowls are very easy to come by at the Dollar Store, or a thrift store; if possible, look for the #2 or #5 in the recycle symbol.
with the exception of my pouring containers with spouts, all of my bowls came from the dollar store. They are all perfect. I had spatulas from there too, but they come apart after a while, at which point they become mixing sticks lol.

I splurge finally and got a nicer set of spatulas from amazon at @TheGecko recommendation. They are perfect and all one piece so you dont have to worry about the spatula coming apart from the stick.

2 days 19 hours 51 minutes 19 seconds @AliOop Changing of the guard FRIDAY at 3pm lol. I park outside of trauma and everyday i walk in they are like “whats the countdown!!??”

Everybody says i should get the cake. Not gonna do it…i think it might earn me an unpleasant trip to HR lol. Especially since she will be working in another department still.

with the exception of my pouring containers with spouts, all of my bowls came from the dollar store. They are all perfect. I had spatulas from there too, but they come apart after a while, at which point they become mixing sticks lol.

I splurge finally and got a nicer set of spatulas from amazon at @TheGecko recommendation. They are perfect and all one piece so you dont have to worry about the spatula coming apart from the stick.

2 days 19 hours 51 minutes 19 seconds @AliOop Changing of the guard FRIDAY at 3pm lol. I park outside of trauma and everyday i walk in they are like “whats the countdown!!??”

Everybody says i should get the cake. Not gonna do it…i think it might earn me an unpleasant trip to HR lol. Especially since she will be working in another department still.
Get the cake but don't bring it into work... take it to the bar for everyone to share after the shift is over. 😜

+1 on the one-piece spatulas. I had a bunch of the two-piece ones from Dollar Store that made me lose my religion every time the end came off in the batter bowl. The Amazon sets with all different sizes are perfect. I just made sure to get a different color for soaping than the color I use in the kitchen. I'm not worried about getting soap in my food, as much as food in my soap. 🤢

+1 on the one-piece spatulas. I had a bunch of the two-piece ones from Dollar Store that made me lose my religion every time the end came off in the batter bowl. The Amazon sets with all different sizes are perfect. I just made sure to get a different color for soaping than the color I use in the kitchen. I'm not worried about getting soap in my food, as much as food in my soap. 🤢

I had a bunch of them and thankfully I'm down to the one. I have a bunch of the 'stick' ones, they are all designated as soaping tools after one came apart when pulling it out of the dishwasher and I found mold inside (I wanted to throw up). The one piece ones that I bought from Amazon are a little spendy, but I don't have to worry about moldy spatulas. But the stick ones are still good for soaping...no mold with the lye, just soap.

I did get a two piece spatula from goodwill, so I guess I'll have to learn that lesson the hard way for myself. 😆

I thought about going to dollar tree today, but it would have been out of my way. I got myself a cheap stainless steel mixing bowl from Walmart.

Get the cake but don't bring it into work... take it to the bar for everyone to share after the shift is over. 😜

No, don't get the cake. Even to take to the bar for others. Someone will take a picture of it and it will get back to her and/or to HR. NOT worth the risk. You've had your fun with the photo. Let sleeping dogs....

My happy is waking up to somewhat clearer skies this morning. All the wildfire smoke has been blowing over from Oregon and settling in our valley, so it's been a few weeks of not being outside much for me, since any amount of smoke really bothers my sinuses and lungs.

Another happy was a really fun bunco group last night. After a full work-week, I am always wiped out on Friday nights and have to drag myself out each time that bunco night comes up on the calendar. But I'm always so glad when I go. We have such a good time trash-talking each other about this silly, simple game - and then having dessert afterwards, of course. 😋

I have been wanting a KitchenAid mixer for years. Yesterday I found one in the clearance section of our Walmart. A $299 mixer for $165. My husband told me to buy it. I got it home and of course, it didn't work, but my husband is an appliance repairman. He took a look at it, and had it fixed in 10 minutes. No parts needed or anything. So I finally have my own KitchenAid, and didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for it. :)

Hehe, congrats! I'm refusing to get any of these fancy kitchen helpers precisely to pay with arms and a legs for it – I see it as a question of sportsmanship to knead my doughs or whip cream with bare hands. Grain mill as an exception, but honestly when I bought mine, I was tempted for a moment to go for the manual one – until I compared the throughput numbers (IIRC, it'd be > 5 minutes of strong cranking for the flour of one bread).

Hehe, congrats! I'm refusing to get any of these fancy kitchen helpers precisely to pay with arms and a legs for it – I see it as a question of sportsmanship to knead my doughs or whip cream with bare hands. Grain mill as an exception, but honestly when I bought mine, I was tempted for a moment to go for the manual one – until I compared the throughput numbers (IIRC, it'd be > 5 minutes of strong cranking for the flour of one bread).
I have always kneaded by hand, and love it. :) But I've been wanting to try some doughs that have a high water content, and the recipes recommend not even attempting them by hand.

My in laws grind their own flour, too! They love it.

I have always kneaded by hand, and love it. :) But I've been wanting to try some doughs that have a high water content, and the recipes recommend not even attempting them by hand.

My in laws grind their own flour, too! They love it.
I also prefer hand kneading. It is very good for the hands, too.

Latest posts

Back