Post your Gripe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@msunnerstood I'm sorry to hear that. My grandson recently went through that - his D level was at 12. Once treatment started, his improvement was immediately noticeable and steady. I pray that it will be like that for you, with quick response even if full healing takes time.
Thank you! Mine was at 8.4. I had my first high dose, hoping it goes quick and I start feeling better

I've had an unpleasant PM conversation with a SMF member (that I won't mention by name). An active member which I actually would like to appreciate as a well-informed and helpful contributor to this community.

I am convinced that keeping personal interpretation out of conversation (or at least explicitly distinguishing it as a such) is necessary when talking about topical things. Such a topical thing was addressing issues with the conversation style of that forum member. Not as if communication is difficult enough across technical and language barriers anyway.
But said person has repeatedly mixed up factual things with their personal interpretation, in my impression not always in best faith, and eventually overdone my patience.
Replying to me (after I had called myself a “self-critical and open-minded” person) that they have no hope to “change [my] mind”. Heck, they even had the chutzpah to accuse me of lie, without even attempting to figure out what I could have meant!

Said person is either unwilling or unable to accept that s/he has not a natural monopoly on some topics, and prefers escalation over clarification when bringing this up. I don't care if out of envy, grief, or something I don't know – but I can't know (and won't guess) as long as said person doesn't show any sign of good will/cooperative behaviour.
Instead of talking, coming back to topic, and finding out if the criticism was justified, or maybe only a misunderstanding, they suggested to mutually block ourselves, to not accidentally expose oneself to a differentiated view on the situation. Please what? That's not a civilised style of communication. I am not willing to resort to such crude behaviour, the least in a community which I like to visit to distract myself from the plenty other stupid and unpleasant things around me. TherThie is no point in giving myself and others a hard time without reason. And if there is a reason, then why not talk about it?

Out of my natural optimism, I did not tune in into their destructive, toxic undertone (though I would have had all the right to do so). I think that a well-meaning personality should be able to keep friendly and professional things on a friendly and professional level. Thus I have kept doors open, and stayed polite and diplomatic. Was I too permissive?

This is sad and indeed in this day and age has become quite the norm in today's society when we can't have discourse with differences of opinions being shared with civility. The written word is even harder since the way in which we 'read' something is usually based on our own perspective. In other words if someone is looking for an argument, they will usually find it. I don't get it but such is life. So sorry you have to experience this.

Out of my natural optimism, I did not tune in into their destructive, toxic undertone (though I would have had all the right to do so). I think that a well-meaning personality should be able to keep friendly and professional things on a friendly and professional level. Thus I have kept doors open, and stayed polite and diplomatic. Was I too permissive?

Everyone is different. Obviously, you like to resolve things. In similar situations, I have found myself wanting everyone else to see how I've been wronged and for others to also find fault with the other person (i.e. look how right I am and look how wrong, unreasonable, mean, etc. this other person is). However, if this person is either being malicious toward you or spreading misinformation about soaping, then you should report this person to the administrators of this blog. Someone like that will only continue to do so, toward others. As much as we peacemakers would like to have harmony and work things out with others, some folks don't have ethical boundaries and have to be stopped by rules, regulations, and/or laws.
One thing I have learned in this world is that life is short, it's simply not worth spending too much energy trying to resolve something when the other person doesn't want to. I try to leave the door open for reconciliation and then do my best to move on.

Ok, this isn't really a gripe, since it was hilarious. But I have to share my airport story from yesterday, and I'm not sure where else it would fit. So here goes...

Flew the grandkids home yesterday with a two-hour layover in Las Vegas. For those of you familiar with McCarran airport, we were at the end of the B terminal, which has a big circle of gates and a ton of folks sitting and milling around at all times.

The flight leaving before ours started boarding, and one guy starts having a loud conversation with the gate agents, telling them they needed to wait for his travel companion who was "right over there" and "will be here in just a moment."

With the rest of the plane loaded and waiting to push back, the gate agents let him know they have to close the doors. This guy gets louder and louder, yelling about how Southwest is always screwing him. Most of the terminal by now is watching his antics, until he finally blows his top and yells, "I wish I had a gun right now, I'd f'n shoot you!!"

At this point, the entire terminal starts booing him. He starts yelling back to folks about how Southwest is "f'd up" and he wishes he had a gun. Finally the gate agent gets on the mic and says, "Folks, we appreciate all the love and support we feel from you, but no need to escalate, because law enforcement is on the way."

The entire terminal erupts in cheers and clapping, while the guy is still waving his arms. His female companion shows up at this point, her arms filled with various food boxes, and a drink in one hand - clearly not suffering from any delay due to the airline's fault. She tries to reason with the gate agents, and appears to be getting somewhere until the guy comes over and starts yelling at them again. The female turns to him and says, "SHUT UP, DAVID, JUST SHUT UP!"

In response to which, of course, a bunch of folks start yelling and taunting, "Yeah David, just shut up! Shut up, David, shut up!"

By now my two grandkids have actually stopped playing games on their tablets and are watching wide-eyed. I'm desperately trying not to laugh, and wishing I'd pulled out my phone to video this when it first started.

LEOs show up at that point, with the whole terminal cheering for them. A large and loud woman stands up and starts singing, "Bye-bye, David, bye-bye David." As I'm barely maintaining my composure, my oldest grandson leans over and says to me with a big grin,

"Grandma, this is way better than playing video games."

And now I'm laughing so hard that tears are streaming down. Planning to check YouTube today in the hopes that someone caught the whole thing on video.

Last edited:
I was so conflicted on who to feel the most sorry for! But, yes, so hilarious!
I know, right? At first I thought David was drunk, but then it seemed more like mental health issues. Being as we were in Vegas, it could have been simple sleep deprivation, too. Whatever the cause of his behavior, my reaction to what should have been a stressful situation, as is typical for me, was irrational hilarity.

Last edited:
Not so sure. If someone thinks that their comfortable position allows them to lack basic interpersonal manners, and is unwilling to at least take into consideration a misunderstanding, and (ab)uses uninvolved third parties by giving misleading information without context, and then even blames me for that, I'm pretty sure that there is something wrong here.

Let me explain better; You get to choose your response, and if you want to honor your optimistic nature, then that is the right decision for you. You're aware of the possible consequences because you've already experienced some of this other person's unfortunate attitude and behavior, yet you still want to leave the door of possibility open. You've taken the. high road essentially, and I think that takes heart and maturity. (I'm a believer that almost every one is redeemable)

Huh, so Amazon have their own delivery drivers over there? Here my Amazon parcels come by the regular post. (Our postal service is very good though...)
I think it depends where you live and the item ordered. I live in the suburbs of a larger city where there are sorting facilities and fulfillment centers. Some of my items are delivered with an Amazon van, others come by UPS or our postal service, sometimes from in the same day.

FWIW, we rarely have an issue with the USPS or UPS. Not much seems to come by FedEx, but no particular problems there either. Maybe we've just been lucky, but we've had a lot of deliveries during Covid times. (And I did knock on wood just now, which made the guy at the end of the bar wake up and bark.)

Its been a rough few weeks. Ive been sick for over 2 weeks with odd symptoms. after a ton of tests, im grateful my issue is not the worst of what I was tested for. Im down because the severe deficiency of vitamin D means Ill likely feel like this until the high doses of D they are giving me build up. 8 weeks of feeling like this? I get it could have been something worse but knowing this continues a while is depressing me.
I hope your D levels are restored to "normal levels quickly. Also I'd like to say it's not uncommon for many to have low levels of "D" sadly cause of our farming today its lacking in our diet' great news Vitamin "D" can be restored safely, to add to your Medicine Regimen also consider 20 minutes in the sun daily will give you the "Natural Vitamin D Needed if you can expose as much skin possible to absorb it.

Not so sure. If someone thinks that their comfortable position allows them to lack basic interpersonal manners, and is unwilling to at least take into consideration a misunderstanding, and (ab)uses uninvolved third parties by giving misleading information without context, and then even blames me for that, I'm pretty sure that there is something wrong here.
Just like your name so fitting " All things can be Resolved if the situation & both parties willing " You gave it a good try' as it sounds good for you. You nailed key points above & agree' having said this often a situation it is best try not to hold on to resentful feelings & move on.

Ok, this isn't really a gripe, since it was hilarious. But I have to share my airport story from yesterday, and I'm not sure where else it would fit. So here goes...

Flew the grandkids home yesterday with a two-hour layover in Las Vegas. For those of you familiar with McCarran airport, we were at the end of the B terminal, which has a big circle of gates and a ton of folks sitting and milling around at all times.

The flight leaving before ours started boarding, and one guy starts having a loud conversation with the gate agents, telling them they needed to wait for his travel companion who was "right over there" and "will be here in just a moment."

With the rest of the plane loaded and waiting to push back, the gate agents let him know they have to close the doors. This guy gets louder and louder, yelling about how Southwest is always screwing him. Most of the terminal by now is watching his antics, until he finally blows his top and yells, "I wish I had a gun right now, I'd f'n shoot you!!"

At this point, the entire terminal starts booing him. He starts yelling back to folks about how Southwest is "f'd up" and he wishes he had a gun. Finally the gate agent gets on the mic and says, "Folks, we appreciate all the love and support we feel from you, but no need to escalate, because law enforcement is on the way."

The entire terminal erupts in cheers and clapping, while the guy is still waving his arms. His female companion shows up at this point, her arms filled with various food boxes, and a drink in one hand - clearly not suffering from any delay due to the airline's fault. She tries to reason with the gate agents, and appears to be getting somewhere until the guy comes over and starts yelling at them again. The female turns to him and says, "SHUT UP, DAVID, JUST SHUT UP!"

In response to which, of course, a bunch of folks start yelling and taunting, "Yeah David, just shut up! Shut up, David, shut up!"

By now my two grandkids have actually stopped playing games on their tablets and are watching wide-eyed. I'm desperately trying not to laugh, and wishing I'd pulled out my phone to video this when it first started.

LEOs show up at that point, with the whole terminal cheering for them. A large and loud woman stands up and starts singing, "Bye-bye, David, bye-bye David." As I'm barely maintaining my composure, my oldest grandson leans over and says to me with a big grin,

"Grandma, this is way better than playing video games."

And now I'm laughing so hard that tears are streaming down. Planning to check YouTube today in the hopes that someone caught the whole thing on video.
OMG Thats so funny! 🤣😂😂

Yup, that pretty much sums it up 🤣
That is not my experience at all.
My Humira (medication that must be kept on ice) is delivered via FedEx, as are a few other items. They always deliver on time and besides placing safely on my doorstep (without banging it about), they also ring the doorbell upon delivery and I get a text at time of delivery.

Same with UPS, although sometimes they do block the door so I cannot get it open. I have gone to the front door while the driver was returning to the vehicle and yelled, "Wait, I can't get the door open. You blocked the door!" and the driver returned to move the package to the side so the door would open.

The USPS delivery of heavy packages has done the same thing by blocking the door. I don't know why, but it sure is stupid to put a heavy package directly in front of the door so the owner cannot get outside to pick up the package. I have done the same if the postal person is still walking away, yelled, "Hey, you blocked my exit; I can't open the door!" and they return to move the package.

This blocking the door thing is a recent (within the last couple-three months) and never used to happen, so I don't know what the deal is with that. But I have informed the Postal person who did it a few times that blocking the door of an elderly person is really a dangerous thing to do and asked that they let other carriers know it is an unsafe practice. I believe I said the same to the UPS carrier as well.

I am thinking of getting a sign to put on my front step that says, "DO NOT BLOCK DOORWAY". You'd think they all would know better and such signage would not be necessary.

As for who does the delivery, Amazon driver, UPS, USPS when it's an Amazon package, well that really is different depending on all kinds of factors. When I was living in San Antonio, we had Amazon drivers in Amazon vehicles doing many of the deliveries. Here in this small town, I have only actually seen one Amazon vehicle deliver on our street. Usually it is UPS or USPS. Sometimes it's both; first UPS carries it across country, then USPS picks it up and delivers it to the house. That's the most frustrating method, IME, because it seems to delay delivery when UPS transfers the package to the USPS. Sometimes it gets 'lost' in some sort of limbo during that transfer and the tracking information is useless. Sometimes it doesn't seem to slow it down too much, but it seems a little bit wasteful to switch off between UPS & USPS when UPS is still driving in my neighborhood anyway.

What really annoys me about the USPS though (and I used to work for the USPS when I was 18, so I actually am a loyal USPS person), is that my neighbor keeps ordering stuff using my address for delivery and I get the notices that a package is delivered to my house, but it's not. The USPS carrier knows who lives where and just delivers to the correct address, then when I place a report that I did not receive a specific package with xxx tracking number, the carrier treats me like I'm delusional or confused or like it was a scam text that I got and she knows nothing about Informed Delivery (a USPS service that I use which informs me of all deliveries via USPS to my address). However, FedEx will not deliver to the correct person, only to the address, so when a package for my neighbor came (in her name to my address), I marked it with permanent marker with a request that she get her address corrected with that vendor (it was the same vendor). So far, no more packages in her name are coming here. But if it happens again, I will be returning it to the sender (on principle).

I'm not one to gripe...but I do have a legitimate gripe that I need to share. I interviewed with a company and everything was going well. So well that at the end of the last interview they said, "We will contact your references and then extend you an offer letter."

Great! They called my references and all conversations went very well. They even told their final reference call that they were going to hire me. Yay! And now? Crickets. It's not quite been two weeks.

I'm trying hard to not freak out. My husband told me to "keep looking" for a job because until they send me an offer letter, the job is not mine. The last job I had, this was the same thing. So I know that the process on their end to get the role approved, deciding on the compensation package, getting that approved, then creating the formal offer letter, etc., takes time. But holy heck, I'm about to lose my mind. It has been a long road of being unemployed since April 2020. On top of that, I turned down two other offers because the jobs were not the direction I wanted to go. But goodness, right now I wish I had accepted the one offer of one of the jobs.

I'm trying hard to not freak out. My husband told me to "keep looking" for a job because until they send me an offer letter, the job is not mine. The last job I had, this was the same thing. So I know that the process on their end to get the role approved, deciding on the compensation package, getting that approved, then creating the formal offer letter, etc., takes time. But holy heck, I'm about to lose my mind. It has been a long road of being unemployed since April 2020. On top of that, I turned down two other offers because the jobs were not the direction I wanted to go. But goodness, right now I wish I had accepted the one offer of one of the jobs.
Oh no - how VERY frustrating. I'd be losing my mind too. Maybe keep reminding yourself of the time intensive "process" with which you are well familiar. How I DO hope they contact you SOON.

Back