Post your Gripe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waxy coating on vegetables. I hate it! The outer surface of rutabagas & turnips is so darn thick with this unspecified waxy coating, I can't get it off without wasting the outer part of the vegetable. I won't put waxy crap in my soup stock! What a huge waste of good food and the nutrients I have always relied on to be added to my soup stock.

It's been bothering me for a few years now, but it just seems to be getting worse, with a thicker coating on them this year than ever before. When I was young, there were no waxy coatings on any of the fruits or vegetables I bought. Now even apples and avocados, and even tomatoes are coated with a thin layer of wax, it seems. The rinds are something I have always eaten, now I have to toss them out because I can't figure out how to get that slick waxy stuff off of them. I suspect lemons & oranges may have the coating as well. How annoying!

Supposedly there are edible waxes used, but I can't really trust that is always true, and there's really no way I want to add unknown substances to my diet, so I am left with tossing out the good with the waxy coating. I may just have to start growing the root vegetables myself because I'm getting tired of this.

There are methods for removing the wax, which with apples seems to work, but it just uses up more water & resources and adds even more cost to food preparation. Vinegar, lemon juice, time-intensive scrubbing; it's just annoying.

So a few weeks ago I sent out an email to my family, including some estranged siblings, saying essentially, "I moved, I make soap and body products for fun, and my roommate got a kitten. Here are pictures of some soap and the kitten." So now the aforementioned estranged siblings are trying to get my parents to convince me to sell my soap on Etsy.
It's not my parents' call, all my endeavors are funded by me, and my finances aren't tight. I'm really enjoying learning and experimenting with all the things, and am not planning to enter the soap market for a lot of reasons, all of which I would explain if my siblings talked to me directly about it. And while I could reach out to try to explain things, the odds are decent it would just sound like me chewing them out. They have never even seen the soap in person, nevermind smell or use, so I don't understand why they're pushing me to sell... And using my parents, rather than having a conversation with me. Or, even, just replying to the email.
Anyways, I have to keep explaining to my parents why I'm not selling, why I'm not planning to, and I guess I get to add why my siblings' opinion on the topic doesn't matter to me.

So a few weeks ago I sent out an email to my family, including some estranged siblings, saying essentially, "I moved, I make soap and body products for fun, and my roommate got a kitten. Here are pictures of some soap and the kitten." So now the aforementioned estranged siblings are trying to get my parents to convince me to sell my soap on Etsy.
It's not my parents' call, all my endeavors are funded by me, and my finances aren't tight. I'm really enjoying learning and experimenting with all the things, and am not planning to enter the soap market for a lot of reasons, all of which I would explain if my siblings talked to me directly about it. And while I could reach out to try to explain things, the odds are decent it would just sound like me chewing them out. They have never even seen the soap in person, nevermind smell or use, so I don't understand why they're pushing me to sell... And using my parents, rather than having a conversation with me. Or, even, just replying to the email.
Anyways, I have to keep explaining to my parents why I'm not selling, why I'm not planning to, and I guess I get to add why my siblings' opinion on the topic doesn't matter to me.

Siblings! (I'm the eldest of 7... I get it) If your siblings are going through your parents to get you to sell, explain it ONCE to your parents and let it go. If your parents keep passing the messages on, just remind them that you've already told them why you're not ready for that and let THEM deal with the sibs.

You put in your note that you're making for fun; they don't know what goes into selling so it isn't up to them. Sell when, and if, you are ready and only then.

Siblings! (I'm the eldest of 7... I get it) If your siblings are going through your parents to get you to sell, explain it ONCE to your parents and let it go. If your parents keep passing the messages on, just remind them that you've already told them why you're not ready for that and let THEM deal with the sibs.

You put in your note that you're making for fun; they don't know what goes into selling so it isn't up to them. Sell when, and if, you are ready and only then.
I'm the second-to-youngest of 7. Unfortunately, my Dad has some cognitive impairment from strokes. He can speak and converse ok, but has a hard time with verbal instructions. He also can't follow written complex sentences. I'm afraid a one-and-done conversation won't work, since he won't remember it. Mom's memory is good, but she gets tired of constantly explaining things as well. I would have to somehow boil my reasons down into a written list of items (not reasons or statements) that would be simple enough for Dad and definitive enough for the siblings. It's easier and well within my right to just say, "That isn't what I want." It's just annoying to deal with, is all.

Your siblings may or not may not be using your parents as a soundboard on their opinions of what you should do with your life and endeavors; of course, it they are, then that's really unkind to your parents, and they should stop. Or perhaps one or both of your parents are possibly just remembering the one original conversation and repeating it or remembering it again (that happens sometimes.) The mind plays funny tricks on us when cognitive impairment comes into play.

Of course, either way, it's tough to deal with.

When my parents were alive, we had an estranged sibling, which created some dificulty within the family because my parents felt the need to maintain contact pretty much no matter what, because of the grandson, which we all did understand; they did not want to lose contact with a grandchild.

Since both parents have passed, and our nephew reached adulthood, we all agreed that said estranged sibling will not not take up our time and conversations because it serves no positive purpose when that happens. It is easier without having to consider the impact on our parents. But while they were alive it was not easy. I feel for you and your parents.

People who are not wearing their mask at work like they are too important or something.
And then when the complaint gets to them they say it was someone else.
Put your Mask On Eejit !

Oh and all the jr high and High school kids all hanging around each other............ gee wonder why the schools are still closed but you allow the elementary school to stay open. SMH, most of those little ones have OLDER Siblings ! DUH !
:beatinghead:

Gripe, we just got a foot of snow and it Would have been nice to have had a white Xmas......

Nope, going to pour rain thursday all through Friday

I am so glad 2020 is coming to an end. I'm having a hell of an end to the year.
My first rant is holiday gifts. Ok I mean I'm not materialistic but why do people keep buying me SOAP FOR XMAS! These are people who have actually bought soap from me. They know I make soap. And they didn't even buy me soap from another soap maker, they bought me soap in a holiday box at Marshall's (the tag was still on the box). A full box of commercial crappy soap that really smells like playdough. AHHHHHHHHH!

Christmas Day someone stabbed the side walls of my driver's side tires so today I had to go buy a whole set of 4 tires at the tune of $980.
However some nice gentleman at the repair shop actually paid $150 towards my tires when I was outside having a meltdown to my sister about how lovely it was to get slashed tires for xmas. It was very kind of him but still the stress of having my tires gutted on Christmas Day is still there.

My job is sucking my will to live and I've been in such a crappy attitude lately. I'm overworked and now covering for 2 coworkers that are on vacation. Because of my heavy workload for the past 3 months my work has been poor and I know it's poor but I can't really do anything about it because I am carrying way too much on my plate to keep everything up to date. I'm basically just putting out fires because I can't give them the attention they deserve. My manager isn't too much on me about it because he knows we are all carrying a heavy workload but I hate doing a crappy job. I actually care about doing a good job but I just can't and it's eating at me.

My Mail carrier has decided to stop delivering mail to my house because of my dogs but he won't say why. My mailbox is outside of my fence and the dogs are inside the fence and he won't talk to me and basically drives away from me when I've tried to ask him what the issue is. So now I have to drive up the hill to the post office and stand in line for an hour just to get my mail every week.

The soap shipments I sent out December 18th to customers via USPS priority still have not been delivered even though they were supposed to be there before Christmas and the only tracking I can get on them says they are delayed but have no estimated delivery date so I have some unhappy customers. I can't afford to have unhappy customers since my business is just getting off the ground and I have a tiny customer base right now.

I am just mentally exhausted and just want to sleep for 20 hours a day. PLEASE let 2021 get better. Ok I'm done.

YIKES! My heart goes out to you @CatahoulaBubble for all you're going through. That man who chipped in on the tires was a blessing! Angels come in many disguises. Have a nice flute of champagne on New Years Eve and be grateful that 2020 is in the rearview mirror. :thumbs:

I am so glad 2020 is coming to an end. I'm having a hell of an end to the year.
My first rant is holiday gifts. Ok I mean I'm not materialistic but why do people keep buying me SOAP FOR XMAS! These are people who have actually bought soap from me. They know I make soap. And they didn't even buy me soap from another soap maker, they bought me soap in a holiday box at Marshall's (the tag was still on the box). A full box of commercial crappy soap that really smells like playdough. AHHHHHHHHH!

Christmas Day someone stabbed the side walls of my driver's side tires so today I had to go buy a whole set of 4 tires at the tune of $980.
However some nice gentleman at the repair shop actually paid $150 towards my tires when I was outside having a meltdown to my sister about how lovely it was to get slashed tires for xmas. It was very kind of him but still the stress of having my tires gutted on Christmas Day is still there.

My job is sucking my will to live and I've been in such a crappy attitude lately. I'm overworked and now covering for 2 coworkers that are on vacation. Because of my heavy workload for the past 3 months my work has been poor and I know it's poor but I can't really do anything about it because I am carrying way too much on my plate to keep everything up to date. I'm basically just putting out fires because I can't give them the attention they deserve. My manager isn't too much on me about it because he knows we are all carrying a heavy workload but I hate doing a crappy job. I actually care about doing a good job but I just can't and it's eating at me.

My Mail carrier has decided to stop delivering mail to my house because of my dogs but he won't say why. My mailbox is outside of my fence and the dogs are inside the fence and he won't talk to me and basically drives away from me when I've tried to ask him what the issue is. So now I have to drive up the hill to the post office and stand in line for an hour just to get my mail every week.

The soap shipments I sent out December 18th to customers via USPS priority still have not been delivered even though they were supposed to be there before Christmas and the only tracking I can get on them says they are delayed but have no estimated delivery date so I have some unhappy customers. I can't afford to have unhappy customers since my business is just getting off the ground and I have a tiny customer base right now.

I am just mentally exhausted and just want to sleep for 20 hours a day. PLEASE let 2021 get better. Ok I'm done.

Sorry that you're having such a stressful year...

As far as the USPS thing: that's happening to everyone. I have a package I shipped to my dad (in state...TWO hours away) on Dec 8 that is still in transit. Finally a package I mailed to a customer on the 14th was delivered yesterday. I think they are still backed up. It's all that people are talking about in my Etsy groups...mad customers, etc. It's really unfortunate that people cannot be more understanding.

Oh, honey! I would want a 20 hour nap if I were you too. Ugh. Your story has really struck me for some reason, perhaps because your posts I remember are of a positive nature. If it helps:
1.) The people that bought you soap are pelicans (none too bright). I have a confession: I giggled at that until I read the rest of your story. Then I read that part again and I was sad. One could say it's the thought that counts, but that's like buying an astronomer a telescope from WalMart for Christmas (not that I mind Wally-World).
2.) What the heck, over?! I might have been having a meltdown with you over those tires.
3.) I've been there. It stinks so bad. Like shoes that have been worn on wet feet, bad. I had a meltdown on a supervisor once over such a thing during a hurricane, so I admire your tenacity. I pray the situation improves quickly for you.
4.) OOOOOYYYY! Honestly, I hope you file a complaint online with USPS. It's possible to word even a complaint such as this with grace and fairness.
5.) I think Megan's right in that your customers might be understanding since everything USPS has been slow the last year or so, even pre-covid.

Oh, honey! I would want a 20 hour nap if I were you too. Ugh. Your story has really struck me for some reason, perhaps because your posts I remember are of a positive nature. If it helps:
1.) The people that bought you soap are pelicans (none too bright). I have a confession: I giggled at that until I read the rest of your story. Then I read that part again and I was sad. One could say it's the thought that counts, but that's like buying an astronomer a telescope from WalMart for Christmas (not that I mind Wally-World).
2.) What the heck, over?! I might have been having a meltdown with you over those tires.
3.) I've been there. It stinks so bad. Like shoes that have been worn on wet feet, bad. I had a meltdown on a supervisor once over such a thing during a hurricane, so I admire your tenacity. I pray the situation improves quickly for you.
4.) OOOOOYYYY! Honestly, I hope you file a complaint online with USPS. It's possible to word even a complaint such as this with grace and fairness.
5.) I think Megan's right in that your customers might be understanding since everything USPS has been slow the last year or so, even pre-covid.

I'm sure it will get better. Just everything seems to hit all at once and it gave me a quite terrible attitude. It's been kind of building though but the stabbed tires just sent me careening over the edge.

I do kind of roll my eyes at the people who bought me soap for Christmas. It happens without fail almost every year. Ever since I was a kid I always got people gifting me body lotions, shower gels. and other girly things and I've never liked them. I don't even really use my own lotion bars for the most part because I don't have dry skin. I don't like shower gels because they make me feel slimy and as for the bar soaps, head meet desk, my worst soap is better then any kitchy holiday soap they can buy from Marshall's. They really didn't overly piss me off, it was just like one more thing on the mountain of other crap that landed on my plate last week.

As for the USPS thing, all but one have now been delivered and USPS can't tell me where it actually is. They just say that it's still in transit and arriving late. I guess if it doesn't show up by the 1st I will file a claim against it.

Well my shipment was finally delivered yesterday (11 business days after I shipped it on a 2 day priority) but it must have gotten caught in the machine because one end was mangled to all heck and the lotion bar tin was so smashed and damaged that my customer couldn't get it open. Thankfully all of the soap was intact and undamaged and the soap cupcake that I was worried the most about came through just fine. So I just have to send out a new lotion bar.

My gripe today...I have been using Lumify eyedrops for a while. They seriously make your eyes super white. I can't tell how much is left in the bottle, so I literally used the last drop on one eye lol. And it works in like 10 seconds, so I had one bright white eye and one not so white one LOL.

I know this sounds stupid right now.

But since I needed to do something, I had a bottle of Clear Eyes brand that I accidentally washed and dried in a pocket. What's the harm right? So I put a drop into the other eye. Instant burning, and now I have one super blood shot eye. Its been about two days.

Never use an eye drop that you have washed and dried LOL. I am assuming it has an infection, so I have been rinsing with saline, which helped. It's not all gross like pink eye though thank goodness, just really red.

My gripe today...I have been using Lumify eyedrops for a while. They seriously make your eyes super white. I can't tell how much is left in the bottle, so I literally used the last drop on one eye lol. And it works in like 10 seconds, so I had one bright white eye and one not so white one LOL.

I know this sounds stupid right now.

But since I needed to do something, I had a bottle of Clear Eyes brand that I accidentally washed and dried in a pocket. What's the harm right? So I put a drop into the other eye. Instant burning, and now I have one super blood shot eye. Its been about two days.

Never use an eye drop that you have washed and dried LOL. I am assuming it has an infection, so I have been rinsing with saline, which helped. It's not all gross like pink eye though thank goodness, just really red.
The picture of of your eyes in my mind right now has me fully tickled, and honestly, I needed a good laugh.
I am so sorry, but thanks for sharing.

Back