Post your Gripe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never personally used hand sanitizer nor have I ever contracted a norovirus. Now watch, I’ll come down with it tomorrow! Argh!

Some people are less likely to get it. If you are B or AB type blood, you're not exactly immune, but you are less likely to contract it and more likely to be asymptomatic if you do. Type O people are the most likely to get it.

How interesting.I am A-. Perhaps that explains it. Thank you so much for sharing this!! My Dad was a universal donor - was never sick a day in his life. Aren’t we interesting creatures?!

Dad was O-. I still remember our phone ringing in the middle of the night because the local hospital needed Dad’s blood. Interestingly, my mom was A+. Had they had a second child, the RH factor would have been an issue. My mom was married and had two children (my half brother and sister but mom and Dad had only me together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people are less likely to get it. If you are B or AB type blood, you're not exactly immune, but you are less likely to contract it and more likely to be asymptomatic if you do. Type O people are the most likely to get it.
That's so interesting. I've read before about various blood types and susceptibility to some of the major diseases, but hadn't heard it's relation to norovirus. DH (O-) is quite susceptible to it ... when he gets it, he gets it BAD. Our first son who got married, a friend of his brought their sick preschooler to the wedding (in June) ... more people got sick the next week than people who didn't! (The mom didn't know it was a norovirus till afterwards.) DH got it so bad he passed out. Son who got married came down with it on their 2-day drive to their honeymoon destination. He was having to pull over at times to get sick. The weird thing is that I'm O+ and I don't often come down with norovirus. Not that time, either.

Norovirus. 2nd time its happened to me around Thanksgiving and this time, the only place ive been recently is Walmart. With so many people out buying last minute items for the holiday (And ahead of an approaching blizzard) I can imagine thats where I got it. Just woke up from my morning Coma and am soo tired, week.. and icky in "Other" ways.

I'd put a good old fashion Irish curse on whomever gave it to me but I have to believe they are already suffering enough..

My whole family came down with Norovirus after Thanksgiving, my niece brought it home from preschool. I didn't venture home this year so I missed out on the annual plague this year but a few years ago my nephew infected all of us and it was so miserable. There weren't enough bathrooms to deal with all of us. Hope you feel better soon.

I have a Visual Migraine right now :( makes reading Very difficult for the next 1/2 hour. But I guess I w3ill take that over a regular migraine !

I have a Visual Migraine right now :( makes reading Very difficult for the next 1/2 hour. But I guess I w3ill take that over a regular migraine !
I get migraines as well and I get the aura for 40 minutes to an hour before the pain kicks in it sounds like you have the aura a for the entire headache. For me the aura is the worst part of the headache so I can't imagine having it for an entire day I hope you feel better soon

Norovirus.

Funny story...I got a message one day from my youngest son's daycare saying they had a case of Roskilde disease. I had to do some googling to figure out what they were talking about because Roskilde is a city where they have, among other things, a large music festival. They were of course referring to the Norovirus. It would be like getting a notice of the SXSW stomach flu or the Burning Man malady. Hope you are all better!

My husband and I are in the process of opening a coffee shop (well, mostly he is, I have a day job elsewhere). Anyhow, we've been at this with contract negotiations and contractors for almost a whole year and we were finally ready to hire people and open in a few weeks. Then, this morning, a water main broke in front of the shop and flooded the place so now the nice new floor is covered in mud and water and hopefully wont need to be replaced...and we are delayed at least another two weeks on top of the two weeks we originally planned.

My husband and I are in the process of opening a coffee shop (well, mostly he is, I have a day job elsewhere). Anyhow, we've been at this with contract negotiations and contractors for almost a whole year and we were finally ready to hire people and open in a few weeks. Then, this morning, a water main broke in front of the shop and flooded the place so now the nice new floor is covered in mud and water and hopefully wont need to be replaced...and we are delayed at least another two weeks on top of the two weeks we originally planned.
Oh no! That sounds like Murphy’s law has taken hold. Hopefully the new year will be perfect!

I am so sorry for that unfortunate event. It is truly a nightmare, but...now this might sound a little bit weird, but if your mud is fairly clean, you can make some bricks out of it to remember how the coffee shop started. You might even be able to reduce it to a clay that could be used in soap. It depends upon where you are. I live in a place where water main breaks could truly be unsanitary---in fact, when I was teaching, we lost school days due to water main breaks. I do hope your new floor survives or can quickly be replaced. I wish you much luck in starting your new venture!

So? What's the worse case scenario if you had done that?

Megan, dear heart, I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but I'm worried about you taking care of you. You are in serious overload and heading for total burnout. And when that happens, you're no good to anyone, including yourself.

There are no easy answers. I suggest you take a Time Out. If you can't sit down and talk with your hubby about what you need from him then you might want to see someone on your own to help you get through this period. It's not going to last forever, but you could sure use some help getting through it.[/Q
That's a "control" issue on your part. Moms often feel they know what's best for the kiddos. We parents all go through that. But, as my dear hubby once said to me, "there's more than one way to skin a cat". If you can let go, let him do things his way, without judging his style of parenting, you will both be better off.

Try it. Give him notice that, as of Monday, you will no longer be taking the twins to day care. They need their Daddy to be there for them too.

And, geeze Louise, you're smart enough to know you don't need feedback when you're doing the very best you know how to do. You'll get plenty of feedback if you mess up, but I doubt you're that kind of employee. Sounds to me like you want a pat on the back for the good work you are doing. Be happy and give one to yourself. I know it's hard to go to work when your efforts aren't appreciated. Just let it go. If you're satisfied, that should be enough.

Hug.View attachment 42653

Uh....preschoolers are my specialty. Definitely did the right thing NOT leaving them unattended, when they know there isn't a woke/cognizant parent around - especially when they come in pairs! They know where the interesting, mysterious "dangerous" grow-up things are and a parent can count themselves lucky if they only paint each other in mom's lotion.

I don't know you Megan, and you didn't ask for my advice. But if you want to get life to dial down at bit; consider focusing on one thing you'd like improved first. That might give you some breathing space to gain some control and help you deal with the rest. Three year olds, especially if they're strongly "twinning", can be a huge challenge. (Your husband might even feel clueless how to work with them!)

ETA; wow, just saw you're trying to open a business and have water issues. So sorry to have so much more stress on your plate.

Last edited:
Uh....preschoolers are my specialty. Definitely did the right thing NOT leaving them unattended, when they know there isn't a woke/cognizant parent around - especially when they come in pairs! They know where the interesting, mysterious "dangerous" grow-up things are and a parent can count themselves lucky if they only paint each other in mom's lotion.

I don't know you Megan, and you didn't ask for my advice. But if you want to get life to dial down at bit; consider focusing on one thing you'd like improved first. That might give you some breathing space to gain some control and help you deal with the rest. Three year olds, especially if they're strongly "twinning", can be a huge challenge. (Your husband might even feel clueless how to work with them!)

ETA; wow, just saw you're trying to open a business and have water issues. So sorry to have so much more stress on your plate.

The water main break, while unfortunate and aggravating, did not do as much damage as we had initially thought. Yes, it will delay (that's the most aggravating part as we were in the home stretch prior to this event) but it shouldn't be a huge cost to us as we had originally thought. I really am lucky that my husband took/is taking care of the negotiating yesterday, because I don't have the mind for that.

The twinadoes have actually been very pleasant in the mornings this week so I feel a bit more centered lately (and they are great kids overall, so I'm grateful for that)... I think you have it right as my husband really doesn't know what to do a lot of the time. I am luckily the more patient one of us two and am immune to 90% of toddler antics. The day that the toddler-pocalypse went down, I'm glad I did what I did. Looking back, it wasn't so big a deal to be late to work.

Minor gripe, but I hate the trapezoid shape my soaps are coming out of a 10" silicone loaf mold. I want them to be rectangles. Everyone claims that these molds hold their shape, but they long sides bow out. I may have to build a little wooden frame to hold them in, which is a pain in the butt.

I live in an old house that is basically falling apart, but was flipped improperly the way @Lin19687 talked about on page 86. New coat of paint, new windows ect, but once moving in the problems are constant.

All sinks in the house drain slowly, the bathroom sink doesnt even have a drain, the refrigerator is broken, and all of the walls are bowing in...

But Today's new gripe is a doozey. This house was built in 1840 and uses an old fashioned oil heater. The tank of oil is a long antique cylinder laying on its side. The basement isnt perfectly flat and the side of the tank with the spout for oil to come out is at a 10° angle higher than the other. Our meter says we have 1/4 of a tank of oil, but all of the oil is sitting in tbe opposite side of the tank from the spout and our heat has turned off.

My boyfriend had the landlord's number in his phone that broke 2 weeks ago and I dont have it so in 7.5 hours he is going to go to the property management office and tell them we dont have heat. Cherry on top. For some reason that makes no sense to me the bedroom is connected to the central air system for the unit next door. That unit has been empty since july and was left with the a/c on high, so while the rest of the house is already freezing the bedroom has a/c blasting!

My chemistry final is also in 7.5 hours so I am wrapped up in a bunch of layers under a blanket to study. Since the water heater runs on the same gas line as the house's heating I'm uncertain if the water heater is working, and I may just skip a shower before going in for my test.

/rant

Ok, I know it's the season of giving, but why do people buy gifts of soap and lotion for someone who MAKES soap and lotion?!

Granted this was a secret santa gift exchange but we each had to fill out forms of things we like and things we don't like and I was very specific when I said "no lotions, bath bombs, soap, or other spa like items!" And yet the box I got is filled with those exact things. I also asked for no candy because I'm staying away from sugar and I ended up with a bunch of candy too. The whole group knows I make soap and lotion. They order from me all the time. They all bought items from me for Christmas gifts! I really hate doing secret santa gift exchanges , I always end up with stuff I won't use or eat and yet I make sure to get truly thoughtful gifts that my person will really enjoy. Every year I say no and end up getting guilted into secret santa.

Ok I'll shut up now.

I live in an old house that is basically falling apart, but was flipped improperly the way @Lin19687 talked about on page 86. New coat of paint, new windows ect, but once moving in the problems are constant.

All sinks in the house drain slowly, the bathroom sink doesnt even have a drain, the refrigerator is broken, and all of the walls are bowing in...

But Today's new gripe is a doozey. This house was built in 1840 and uses an old fashioned oil heater. The tank of oil is a long antique cylinder laying on its side. The basement isnt perfectly flat and the side of the tank with the spout for oil to come out is at a 10° angle higher than the other. Our meter says we have 1/4 of a tank of oil, but all of the oil is sitting in tbe opposite side of the tank from the spout and our heat has turned off.

My boyfriend had the landlord's number in his phone that broke 2 weeks ago and I dont have it so in 7.5 hours he is going to go to the property management office and tell them we dont have heat. Cherry on top. For some reason that makes no sense to me the bedroom is connected to the central air system for the unit next door. That unit has been empty since july and was left with the a/c on high, so while the rest of the house is already freezing the bedroom has a/c blasting!

My chemistry final is also in 7.5 hours so I am wrapped up in a bunch of layers under a blanket to study. Since the water heater runs on the same gas line as the house's heating I'm uncertain if the water heater is working, and I may just skip a shower before going in for my test.

/rant
You need to move asap. If you are a renter and it is like this then the Ll doesn't care and it will NOT change.
:( I was a LL for a while, never again for other reasons but I would Never rent a place like that. BTW, unless the LL pays the heat/AC then that is illegal to do and sure would piss me off if I lived there.
Get out while you can see what you can do to break the lease if you have one. Winter moving is hard but really, it is not going to get better.

My Gripe, LL that do this, or anyone that does this to anyone. I hate flippers for this reason, glad houses around here are too $$$ to make that worth while.

You need to move asap. If you are a renter and it is like this then the Ll doesn't care and it will NOT change.
:( I was a LL for a while, never again for other reasons but I would Never rent a place like that. BTW, unless the LL pays the heat/AC then that is illegal to do and sure would piss me off if I lived there.
Get out while you can see what you can do to break the lease if you have one. Winter moving is hard but really, it is not going to get better.

My Gripe, LL that do this, or anyone that does this to anyone. I hate flippers for this reason, glad houses around here are too $$$ to make that worth while.

Luckily our lease ends Jan 9th and we are looking at more well managed apartment complexes to move to... with electric AC and heating for each unit! This whole house seems like the property management company has just given up keeping it up all, and they're just waiting for it to become completely unlivable.

While the house itself is old and in bad shape, within the last 10 years a grocery store and shopping center have been built across the street, another shopping center with an Urgent Care clinic is catty corner from the end of the block, and a 3 story radiology/ medical office center was built on the other side of our parking lot. It's become a great location and I suspect they're waiting until a point no one is willing to live here to tear it down and put in something commercial.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back