Post your Gripe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ladies please look into AA. That sounds like a trite answer - but a good AA group has the knowledge and experience to help support you. They'll know exactly what you're experiencing and believe you.
A group for me might help me be able to better deal with him when he falls off. Thanks

My Tropical Fire soap is now Tropical TAN..no vanillan in the fragrance, it just decided to hate on me. :mad:

A group for me might help me be able to better deal with him when he falls off. Thanks
I spent many years on that roller coaster ride. Find an al anon group or even just a group of friends who get it. One of their slogans that is soo important is take what you need and leave the rest. you may not agree with everything they say but chances are you will find something that keeps you sane.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you cannot find Al-Anon (not nearly as available in some areas), and choose to go to AA, make sure it's and Open meeting. Closed AA meetings are for alcoholics only. Sometimes they will let you stay, but it is suggested that for the welfare of the group, non-alcoholics don't attend closed meetings. However, most will be very willing to help you find a group that will fit for your needs. Many large metropolitan areas and even small rural areas maintain a meeting schedule and a hotline where you can call and get some help finding a meeting locally. Try the phone book or look online and you will surely find one.

@SoapAddict415 I can also recommend Al-Anon to you. As others have said, it will help you find ways to take care of yourself, recognize things that you can change. You can't change someone else, only yourself and how you react to the situation. My dad was an alcoholic, and AA and Al-Anon were good for my parents. Going to Al-Anon helped my mom recognize enabling behavior. One thing I believe is that an alcoholic really can't have 'just a beer now and then'. It always seems to eventually lead to the same end. At least that has been what I have seen with quite a few friends and family with substance abuse problems. I feel for you, and am sending you virtual hugs.

This weekend I am doing a two-day show that I have done for three years, I pay my next years space fee on the last day of the show so that I can get placed in the high traffic area. I have an email confirmation from March verifying that I didn't owe any money due to changing fees and I would still have the priority placement. I got the vendor map yesterday and not only is there another soap vendor (the 100% lard GM lady that I've talked about before) but they put her in the high traffic spot and I'm clear out in the boonies! So I made a phone call last night hoping that when they assigned spots they just got the two soap vendors mixed up. Nope! I was told they no longer do priority placement for repeat vendors and it's first come first serve (so they fill the priority spaces with whoever signs up first and fill the boonies with whoever is left). I then argued that I signed up last year on the last day of the event and there's no way she could be "first" because she has only been in business since February! Her response was "well this is our planned vendor space based on everyone's needs, we're not going to change it." This is my biggest show of the year (seriously, 25% of my soap income the last two years) and suddenly I'm bumped out of a high traffic spot TO ANOTHER SOAPER??? It seems wrong to me. I am making another phone call tonight because the contact person with the map is just an assistant to the organizer. Otherwise I'll be trying to contact as many customers from that area as I can to let them know that I am there and where they can find me.
Were you able to get your booth sorted out with the event planner?

Were you able to get your booth sorted out with the event planner?
I never got an answer from the main organizer, so I decided to ride out the storm. Glad I did! The other soaper showed up an hour after the gates opened and left an hour early and didn't even bother to show up for day 2! Better yet I did a record in sales and had customers that came looking for me :) I guess I griped too soon! Already registered for next year.

I never got an answer from the main organizer, so I decided to ride out the storm. Glad I did! The other soaper showed up an hour after the gates opened and left an hour early and didn't even bother to show up for day 2! Better yet I did a record in sales and had customers that came looking for me :) I guess I griped too soon! Already registered for next year.
Yay! I am so excited for you. That is awesome news. I'm so glad this was a 180 for you.

Better yet I did a record in sales and had customers that came looking for me :)
Good job! I tried the "farmers market" twice in Sundance and it was lost time. The customers parked in the lot, walked directly to the seller they wanted to buy from, and then went back to their vehicles. There was NO browsing. I had no chance.

I discovered today that the wallpaper peeling from the wall was not caused by the water heater leak I had a couple of months ago. I finally decided to get it taken care of because it had a musty smell to it. Well, the musty smell (soft & damp drywall) and peeling paper were from a different leak. A leak called Max. I camethisclose to beating the heck out of that dog. But, it wouldn’t have served any good purpose. He wouldn’t have any idea why he was being beaten and that would have been exactly what my mother would have done. So, I grabbed some gloves, the trash can and tore the wall apart until the drywall was hard & dry. I have a product called “Furry Freshness” for pet odors & stains; I saturated all of the area under the removed drywall. I’ll check to see if the smell is gone tomorrow. If not, I’ll spray again. I have no idea how long he was peeing on the wall. I’m going to fire the house cleaners. If they had been doing their job, the wall and base molding wouldn’t be in my trash can right now.

gripe, Heat.

teresa, you better start to close off that area and/or crate your dog till he understands that he needs to pee outside. If the wall was that wet I bet he was doing it for a while.
He will most likely go back to that spot as he Marked it.

I discovered today that the wallpaper peeling from the wall was not caused by the water heater leak I had a couple of months ago. I finally decided to get it taken care of because it had a musty smell to it. Well, the musty smell (soft & damp drywall) and peeling paper were from a different leak. A leak called Max. I camethisclose to beating the heck out of that dog. But, it wouldn’t have served any good purpose. He wouldn’t have any idea why he was being beaten and that would have been exactly what my mother would have done. So, I grabbed some gloves, the trash can and tore the wall apart until the drywall was hard & dry. I have a product called “Furry Freshness” for pet odors & stains; I saturated all of the area under the removed drywall. I’ll check to see if the smell is gone tomorrow. If not, I’ll spray again. I have no idea how long he was peeing on the wall. I’m going to fire the house cleaners. If they had been doing their job, the wall and base molding wouldn’t be in my trash can right now.

I feel your pain! When we moved into our new house, one of the cats did not adjust well to the move and chose a spot behind the boiler to use as a litter box. The cat passed away a few months after our move (hit by a car, not illness related), but now her sister cat has suddenly decided to use that spot occasionally. It's a concrete floor, so we're still in experimental mode to get it cleaned up properly so the cat won't use that spot. Animal urine is so hard to clean up! They can smell what we can't.

Been having issues with the husbands work shorting him on annual holiday pay. Printed off documents to hand into work and they basically threw it back at my hubby and the other guys saying oh it said should so that does not mean we have to factor in other things like normal over time and driving for work (i.e from factory to job sites). My husbands work pays him for 39 hrs as "basic pay" so that is 7.8 hrs a day any thing over that they call over time (which they say they don't have to pay him legally for his annual leave) . My hubby works over 12+ hrs a day and I est he is losing around £50 ($64) at the lest per day because of these jerks! That's around £257 ($332) they are shorting him by I feel this is breaking a UK law some where some how. So now I'm going to have to get my hubby to see if the other guys being shorted to want to lawyer up as the documents were from a public arm of the UK government which over see's workers and employees and I would have thought a smart person would realize that maybe they should shut up and read the whole thing and not pick out the word should and say oh we don't have to legally follow this.

It really bothers the heck out of me because my husband does the similar type of work my father did (glazing), my husband fits (and makes) wood windows and doors and fits glass into them etc. This company is run by a bunch of idiots and have no clue how they are still in business (most likely from ripping off their workers!) they have a shop floor manager who has no clue how any of the machines work his qualifications you ask? well he knows how to drive lorries (big rigs) that it oh plus he is fooling around with a chick that works in the main office so thats prob why he keeps is job. This chick he is messing around with messes up glass orders (that's putting it lightly to!) yet those to idiots still have a job (I would fire them) the guy and chick that does the scheduling for jobs are idiots to these two could not find their way out of a wet paper bag with a plastic viewing bit in it! they ask my husband how far a job is because apparently they either 1 are lazy as hell 2 never heard of google maps or 3 both 1 and 2.

This company normally has my husband out from 5am til 9pm+ most nights not only is this because they fail to schedule correctly they also add extra jobs i.e of I forgot to add x or oh so and such called they have a issues with door or window go here it's a emergency (even tho he still has loads of other jobs). It's wearing him out and it really bothers me that they can't even pay him right for all the hard work he does!

Last edited by a moderator:
gripe, Heat.

teresa, you better start to close off that area and/or crate your dog till he understands that he needs to pee outside. If the wall was that wet I bet he was doing it for a while.
He will most likely go back to that spot as he Marked it.

Thanks!! I’ve ripped the wall apart. Literally there is a huge gaping hole. I’ve also sprayed the area with an enzyme that has gotten rid of the odor and stain. I used an ultraviolet light to see if there was anymore biological evidence left and it’s all gone. Just to be on the safe side, I’m going to do a second treatment tonight. I’ll fix the wall once everything is dry.

I feel your pain! When we moved into our new house, one of the cats did not adjust well to the move and chose a spot behind the boiler to use as a litter box. The cat passed away a few months after our move (hit by a car, not illness related), but now her sister cat has suddenly decided to use that spot occasionally. It's a concrete floor, so we're still in experimental mode to get it cleaned up properly so the cat won't use that spot. Animal urine is so hard to clean up! They can smell what we can't.

I cannot recommend Furry Freshness enough. I bought the cat formula because it’s designed to neutralize the ammonia in cat urine. I bought it to remove an old stain that several other “top” products failed to do. I assumed this would fail, too. Boy was I surprised!! The stain was several years old and had been treated with several other products. It took two applications, but the stain is 99% gone. There’s a bit of shadowing left behind, but I think that’s actually residual bleaching from all of the products used.

. Animal urine is so hard to clean up! They can smell what we can't.

Hydrogen peroxide. I use full strength on the concrete and it gets rid of that enzyme. I liberally spray the floor and wait for it to stop bubbling then spray once more to be sure. It may mar the finish if you have painted concrete but it works.

(Our litter boxes are in the basement on concrete flooring. It’s worked well on the overspray)

Hydrogen peroxide. I use full strength on the concrete and it gets rid of that enzyme. I liberally spray the floor and wait for it to stop bubbling then spray once more to be sure. It may mar the finish if you have painted concrete but it works.

(Our litter boxes are in the basement on concrete flooring. It’s worked well on the overspray)

Thanks, that might work for a quick fix, but my research has indicated that hydrogen peroxide doesn't get rid of uric acid (I think it was called... my brain only holds fatty acid for soapmaking names, lol) which means the cat will probably gravitate back to that corner unless an enzymatic cleaner is used. It's behind the boiler, so getting back there to clean is a pain in the butt, I'm going to try to get the clean up job done right the first time so I don't have to go back and do it again. I suspect that part of her problem is that my husband has been buying a different brand of litter, so I'm taking over the pet care purchases again. [I might have had these duties stripped once before because I came home with $20 in cat toys and nothing for dinner...] I checked with some large renovation and cleaning companies in my state (three of them) and they all recommended a product called OdorXIt, which can be bought almost anywhere - WalMart, Menards, Lowes, etc - It's fairly expensive, $25 for 4 oz I think when I looked, but you use very little of it for each application. They did tell me it will take multiple cleanings to get it all up, which is why I've been dragging my feet on it because of where the spot is located. I am going to check out @TeresaT product suggestion as I hadn't seen that one in my researching.

@amd A friend had that problem, and between cleanings used one of those floor mats that go under a desk chair with the pointy side (bottom of the mat) up. The cat didn't want to step on it. I think that worked for her. I know she left the mat in place for quite awhile even after the clean up was all done.

Back