Post your Gripe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Michele50 We are in Canada, but I have to assume that we have similar rules regarding rentals. I often read about landlords feeling like the laws are unfairly in favor of tenants and tenants can get away with abusing the system. I will imagine that what they have done is highly unethical and illegal. Being that all this retirement home's clients are elderly, they probably are taking advantage of the fact that disputing these things are more than the elderly want to have to deal with, or can due to cognitive decline. I will bet that this happens a lot, especially in this particular home. We have not told my father in law about what has gone on as he would be highly distressed about this situation.
We do have before and after pictures of the carpet. When my husband went there and demanded to see the damage to the carpets, they showed him all the carpet cut into large squares. He found the piece that they said could not be cleaned and said that he was taking it and if it came clean, that deposit better be returned. I have after pictures of it now, and the clean carpet to show as evidence. There should be no way that they can dispute that this carpet is clean as it genuinely looks brand new.
My father in law is very happy about the serving sizes in the new place, and the quality of the food. He was ecstatic that he finally felt full. He has access to a full salad bar for his meals as well. At the last place he was lucky to get a tiny portion of salad a couple times a week. The shocking part is, the price is actually slightly cheaper at the new home. It is definitely a better environment too. He constantly had drug addicts shooting up right outside his room in front of his living room and bedroom windows at the last place. The people running the building made no real effort to move these people along. It is a sad world we live in these days.
I'm so happy to hear that the place he now is living is taking better care of their tenants. In our loved one's later years, they shouldn't have to be concerned with such things as you described. Even being younger, for me it'd be scary if I lived in a place where druggies were hanging about, let along shooting up near where I lived. I'm thrilled you found such a place. It's hard some times for me to remember that the internet opens doors to folks from all over the place. Lol, I don't often pay attention to where they live, yes, all countries have different rules of thumb and laws. It seems, maybe because it's just the right thing to do, that all countries should have laws to protect the most vulnerable. It's good he has you guys to watch his back. I feel better now that I hear he's full after eating and his place is less costly--all worked out well; I'm a happy camper.

FWIW, I'd like to mention just in case somebody is looking for a great place for their folks, my 99-year-old mother is in a facility in Phoenix AZ that is so wonderful, early retirees are grabbing up new units as fast as they can -- for the convenience and good food. Prices are comparable to what a unit costs here in CO, but what in difference in terms of management and atmosphere!

Everything is available on campus - doctors, dentists, hair salon, barber, second-hand store, gift shop, post office, etc. and there's a strip mall across the street to buy groceries, ice cream, liquor, and several other shops. A shuttle bus to take you there.

The "campus" looks a lot like a college campus. They have many amenities as well as a raised garden where residents can grow stuff and even help themselves to whatever is in season. There are 3 restaurants - A bistro for light meals; a fancy restaurant for special occasions; a large restaurant where most of the residents have their main meal at lunch time. Every table seats 10 -- no choice -- you have to engage with other people. I've never seen so many happy seniors!

https://beatitudescampus.org/
WoW, WoW, and WOW!! That place sounds amazing!! Thanks for the sharing of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Michele50 We are in Canada, but I have to assume that we have similar rules regarding rentals. I often read about landlords feeling like the laws are unfairly in favor of tenants and tenants can get away with abusing the system. I will imagine that what they have done is highly unethical and illegal. Being that all this retirement home's clients are elderly, they probably are taking advantage of the fact that disputing these things are more than the elderly want to have to deal with, or can due to cognitive decline. I will bet that this happens a lot, especially in this particular home. We have not told my father in law about what has gone on as he would be highly distressed about this situation.
We do have before and after pictures of the carpet. When my husband went there and demanded to see the damage to the carpets, they showed him all the carpet cut into large squares. He found the piece that they said could not be cleaned and said that he was taking it and if it came clean, that deposit better be returned. I have after pictures of it now, and the clean carpet to show as evidence. There should be no way that they can dispute that this carpet is clean as it genuinely looks brand new.
My father in law is very happy about the serving sizes in the new place, and the quality of the food. He was ecstatic that he finally felt full. He has access to a full salad bar for his meals as well. At the last place he was lucky to get a tiny portion of salad a couple times a week. The shocking part is, the price is actually slightly cheaper at the new home. It is definitely a better environment too. He constantly had drug addicts shooting up right outside his room in front of his living room and bedroom windows at the last place. The people running the building made no real effort to move these people along. It is a sad world we live in these days.
I'm in BC, too. Four words....normal wear and tear. It's in the Landlord/Tenant act.

I'm in BC, too. Four words....normal wear and tear. It's in the Landlord/Tenant act.
I am in Kelowna as well. :) Yes, there is no way they have a leg to stand on with this if we have to legally dispute this. It is just frustrating that they would do this in the first place. My father in law has us to step up for him, but lots of elderly have no one and $1600 is no small amount.

FWIW, I'd like to mention just in case somebody is looking for a great place for their folks, my 99-year-old mother is in a facility in Phoenix AZ that is so wonderful, early retirees are grabbing up new units as fast as they can -- for the convenience and good food. Prices are comparable to what a unit costs here in CO, but what in difference in terms of management and atmosphere!

Everything is available on campus - doctors, dentists, hair salon, barber, second-hand store, gift shop, post office, etc. and there's a strip mall across the street to buy groceries, ice cream, liquor, and several other shops. A shuttle bus to take you there.

The "campus" looks a lot like a college campus. They have many amenities as well as a raised garden where residents can grow stuff and even help themselves to whatever is in season. There are 3 restaurants - A bistro for light meals; a fancy restaurant for special occasions; a large restaurant where most of the residents have their main meal at lunch time. Every table seats 10 -- no choice -- you have to engage with other people. I've never seen so many happy seniors!

https://beatitudescampus.org/
Oh man! That sounds incredible! There should be places like this for our seniors everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man! That sounds incredible! There should be places like this for our seniors everywhere.
I agree. I've never seen anything anywhere like it. Seniors in walkers would stop to ask us if we were lost or needed help finding something. So nice. AND happy! Oh, and the food was tops! The large dining hall was open to the public. They had prime rib dinner on Thursday night for $16.00.

The elevator to Mom's floor opened to a large community area with an on-going jigsaw puzzle and a grand piano -- a concert pianist lived in one of the units and often played for them. One of the residents was a guitarist from a well-know band of the 60's/70's that I liked but can't think of at the moment. :(

I am in Kelowna as well. :) Yes, there is no way they have a leg to stand on with this if we have to legally dispute this. It is just frustrating that they would do this in the first place. My father in law has us to step up for him, but lots of elderly have no one and $1600 is no small amount.

PM 'ing you... come say hi

Field Mouse in the livingroom and I MISSED GRABBING IT !!!!!!
Worst part was that the Old Cat was sitting RIGHT THERE.
:oops:
I ran to grab a towel but I was not fast enough. Should have just took my jamma shirt off

Field Mouse in the livingroom and I MISSED GRABBING IT !!!!!!
Worst part was that the Old Cat was sitting RIGHT THERE.
:oops:
I ran to grab a towel but I was not fast enough. Should have just took my jamma shirt off

Get yourself a mouse cup. I had one in the house as well the cats were playing with. Scoop it right up with the cup and take it outside and across the street to the vacant lot.

Of course now my one cat is going to end up breaking my tv trying to get on top of the cabinet I set the mouse cup on while I was finding my shoes. She thinks it's still there and is determined to get her "friend" back

Denver's famous for that. You might be right. Yikes!
Smack Laugh.gif

Get yourself a mouse cup. I had one in the house as well the cats were playing with. Scoop it right up with the cup and take it outside and across the street to the vacant lot.

Of course now my one cat is going to end up breaking my tv trying to get on top of the cabinet I set the mouse cup on while I was finding my shoes. She thinks it's still there and is determined to get her "friend" back

normally I would have just grabbed it but I thought it was a mole and their funny nose hairs give me the willies for some reason :smallshrug:
I put out 2 covered mouse traps . I am hoping it will be caught by tonight

I went to the Cemetary today to check on my Step Dads marker. It was not the marker I ordered. I am so f........mad. I asked to have a Veteran's Bronze marker and it is a cheap Vetren's granite marker. Why would I want a granite when I could get a Bronze. I am so freak'in mad. Rose Hills will be hearing from me. Why should I be surprised after everything else that is happening? :hairpulling::hairpulling::hairpulling::hairpulling:

Latest posts

Back