Post your Gripe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might have to start but might not work, he missed the smell of cooking soap and my mold & clamps melting so I'm thinking a note wouldn't have helped.
I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. You put the note over the controls so they can't turn on the oven without seeing the note. If he doesn't read the note and just turns on the oven anyways, I would revoke his oven privileges :p

Amazon has a hard enough time keeping up with their guaranteed two-day delivery, now they are promising one-day delivery. Well, I guess that's been going on for awhile, but I don't usually count on the one-day delivery claim.

But when my husband put in an order for 2 books and said, if I order them today they'll be here tomorrow and I said, don't count on it. They weren't. But even worse, my order that I made a few hours before his order was also supposedly going to arrive in 1 day. So watching the progress of these orders has been interesting and as a result frustrating and irritating.

His books arrived a day late. Okay, that's what I expected, even though the promise was 1 day. Not surprised, but still not what was promised.

My order was broken up into 2 deliveries. The one with a UPS delivery in 2 days, did come on time. But the other one that was supposed to arrive in 24 hours still hasn't arrived. It should have arrived on Thursday if the one-day deliver was true. Or on Friday if they had kept to their old promise of 2 days, but her it is on Saturday and still no one has any idea where it is. Could still be in Chicago, for all anyone seems to know.

According to the tracking information on Amazon, it arrived in my town 2 days ago. But according to the US Post Office, it has never left Chicago. It traveled from Nebraska to Chicago in less than a day, but now it's lost.

Today I called Amazon and the CSR admitted it appears the order is 'lost in transit' and she will call me again on Monday to determine what action to take next as 'maybe' it will arrive by then. And she said she would apply a $5.00 promotion coupon or some such thing. We shall see.

I wish Amazon would stop claiming to be able to deliver in time frames they just can't manage and don't even care that they can't.

And there you go.... this is what happens when you make a Biz TOO big ;) I hope I don't have any stock in it as I think it will go down.
Also can't tell you how many items I have sent back because they came USED or DIRTY or BROKEN. They pay crap to the warehouse so..

Gripe... nightmares :( I so hate them, so tired of them. But i just hope that for every one I have, no child has them :)

Gripe: the college I was teaching at terminated my employment as of last Friday with no notice or due process (or any process really -- yes, they'll be sued). I'm also a foreign national so this means will need to leave the US in 57 days, pack up, sell the house, etc.
Anyone interested in any soap supplies?? :)

Gripe: the college I was teaching at terminated my employment as of last Friday with no notice or due process (or any process really -- yes, they'll be sued). I'm also a foreign national so this means will need to leave the US in 57 days, pack up, sell the house, etc.

Atiz, I am so sorry to hear this! Is there any possibility of securing another job and not having to leave, or was your visa contingent on that particular position?

Atiz, I am so sorry to hear this! Is there any possibility of securing another job and not having to leave, or was your visa contingent on that particular position?
Thanks, Earlene. Yeah it was contingent on the position (H1B; the school had contacted USCIS before I was even told that I was terminated) so unless I can secure another one in a month or so I can't stay. (I have been here for 9 years now...). But I'll figure things out when my head cools down a little bit (it has cooled a lot but not quite yet), I'm pretty tough :D.

Gripe: the college I was teaching at terminated my employment as of last Friday with no notice or due process (

sorry to hear atiz--can I ask where you are from? I don't think all states have the same laws regarding job loss. well I guess that might apply to plant closings--in Minnesota if a business employees so many people they need to give a 60 day notice of shut down, at least those were the laws 6 years ago when our plant closed. if you are in a right to work state they don't need to give you any notice or reason

sorry to hear atiz--can I ask where you are from? I don't think all states have the same laws regarding job loss. well I guess that might apply to plant closings--in Minnesota if a business employees so many people they need to give a 60 day notice of shut down, at least those were the laws 6 years ago when our plant closed. if you are in a right to work state they don't need to give you any notice or reason
Thanks Marilyn! I'm originally from Hungary, but was working in Missouri. It's a complicated case though because I was working for a small religious institution (seminary college) and they can do pretty much whatever they want. I may get some compensation for lack of due process (if I sue them), but with the visa it doesn't help. Well, a few options are starting to slowly take shape, and after all if I have to go back to Europe that's probably not the end of the world either :)

Gripping about the only product I would be able to make in my Florida home is soap. Haven't moved there yet, but it's my plan. Can't afford the license and a commercial space. Well, I'm retired, so maybe soap will be enough. Gives me time to do other things!

Amazon has a hard enough time keeping up with their guaranteed two-day delivery, now they are promising one-day delivery. Well, I guess that's been going on for awhile, but I don't usually count on the one-day delivery claim.

But when my husband put in an order for 2 books and said, if I order them today they'll be here tomorrow and I said, don't count on it. They weren't. But even worse, my order that I made a few hours before his order was also supposedly going to arrive in 1 day. So watching the progress of these orders has been interesting and as a result frustrating and irritating.

His books arrived a day late. Okay, that's what I expected, even though the promise was 1 day. Not surprised, but still not what was promised.

My order was broken up into 2 deliveries. The one with a UPS delivery in 2 days, did come on time. But the other one that was supposed to arrive in 24 hours still hasn't arrived. It should have arrived on Thursday if the one-day deliver was true. Or on Friday if they had kept to their old promise of 2 days, but her it is on Saturday and still no one has any idea where it is. Could still be in Chicago, for all anyone seems to know.

According to the tracking information on Amazon, it arrived in my town 2 days ago. But according to the US Post Office, it has never left Chicago. It traveled from Nebraska to Chicago in less than a day, but now it's lost.

Today I called Amazon and the CSR admitted it appears the order is 'lost in transit' and she will call me again on Monday to determine what action to take next as 'maybe' it will arrive by then. And she said she would apply a $5.00 promotion coupon or some such thing. We shall see.

I wish Amazon would stop claiming to be able to deliver in time frames they just can't manage and don't even care that they can't.
I have ever, repeat, never had Amazon miss a deliver date and we buy scads of good from them.

Gripping about the only product I would be able to make in my Florida home is soap. Haven't moved there yet, but it's my plan. Can't afford the license and a commercial space. Well, I'm retired, so maybe soap will be enough. Gives me time to do other things!
Can you not make it in your home in Florida?

Thanks Marilyn! I'm originally from Hungary, but was working in Missouri. It's a complicated case though because I was working for a small religious institution (seminary college) and they can do pretty much whatever they want. I may get some compensation for lack of due process (if I sue them), but with the visa it doesn't help. Well, a few options are starting to slowly take shape, and after all if I have to go back to Europe that's probably not the end of the world either :)
Sadly, unless you are tenured, you have little recourse. Faculty contracts are one-year terms. Even tenured faculty get an annual contract ( even though everyone know they will not be terminated for anything short of murder). Sorry you have lost your job-can you take your supplies and start your business when you get back home? I am in Columbia and may be interested in some of what you have for sale. Can you email me? [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, unless you are tenured, you have little recourse. Faculty contracts are one-year terms. Even tenured faculty get an annual contract ( even though everyone know they will not be terminated for anything short of murder). Sorry you have lost your job-can you take your supplies and start your business when you get back home? I am in Columbia and may be interested in some of what you have for sale. Can you email me? [email protected]
Thanks, Melinda. Well, my next contract (3-year) was signed already so it was not that; I was accused of something and the evidence for it was substantially misquoted emails and demonstrably false bits of information, with no possibility to even defend myself. So I can probably get some compensation at least for that (of course it won't give me a job). But will see what AAUP says (they give advice even if they can't represent you).
Will see where I end up. The soap supplies I have is actually not that much, just a couple of small molds and liners, an opened 16 oz jar of lye (but I can just drain clean with that much), and some odds an ends like colorants and EOs. Will see how packing goes and how much stuff I can take. Will email you!

I have ever, repeat, never had Amazon miss a deliver date and we buy scads of good from them.

Well, you are fortunate, I must say. They miss our delivery dates as often as not. Two day deliveries often turn into 3 or 4 days. One day delivery has never happened as far as I can recall (maybe once, just to be fair, but I don't really remember for sure) - I don't even count on it. But the two-day deliveries used to happen at the beginning more consistently. And I am not talking about counting week-ends; I know better than to order on a Thursday or Friday and expect fast delivery. I'm talking about ordering on Monday or Tuesday and expecting delivery before the week-end.

I am still waiting on my 0ne day delivery that was supposed to be delivered on May 16. According to the tracking information it spent 38 hours in Elk Grove, IL before it left there at 6 a.m. this morning, 5 days after it was due to arrive at my house. Supposedly I will have it by tomorrow. We shall see.

Last edited:
Oh no! I’m so sorry!

Thanks, Melinda. Well, my next contract (3-year) was signed already so it was not that; I was accused of something and the evidence for it was substantially misquoted emails and demonstrably false bits of information, with no possibility to even defend myself. So I can probably get some compensation at least for that (of course it won't give me a job). But will see what AAUP says (they give advice even if they can't represent you).
Will see where I end up.

Sad to hear about this! Even if you don't mind going home, 8 years is a long time to put down roots somewhere only to have them yanked up BY SOMEBODY ELSE. And then to have been terminated in this way, this is all tough stuff, @atiz . I really feel for you :-(

Thanks, Earlene. Yeah it was contingent on the position (H1B; the school had contacted USCIS before I was even told that I was terminated) so unless I can secure another one in a month or so I can't stay. (I have been here for 9 years now...). But I'll figure things out when my head cools down a little bit (it has cooled a lot but not quite yet), I'm pretty tough :D.
So, basically, you need to find another college who will take over your H-1B visa. Sadly, this costs the college and more and more are declining to do so. When I worked at a university, I was in charge of the H-1B employees the process is not difficult but it is time-consuming and cost our department approximately $2,000 per candidate. I understand some colleges/universities have the visa holders pay a portion of the fees, we never did so. They are going to need time to post the fair labor document, etc., etc., etc. I am so very sorry for you in this situation. What discipline is your Speciality?

Sad to hear about this! Even if you don't mind going home, 8 years is a long time to put down roots somewhere only to have them yanked up BY SOMEBODY ELSE. And then to have been terminated in this way, this is all tough stuff, @atiz . I really feel for you :-(
You are so close to having your green card-CPI,d they not be convinced to hold off one Year?

So, basically, you need to find another college who will take over your H-1B visa. Sadly, this costs the college and more and more are declining to do so. When I worked at a university, I was in charge of the H-1B employees the process is not difficult but it is time-consuming and cost our department approximately $2,000 per candidate. I understand some colleges/universities have the visa holders pay a portion of the fees, we never did so. They are going to need time to post the fair labor document, etc., etc., etc. I am so very sorry for you in this situation. What discipline is your Speciality?
Thank you Melinda -- yeah, I know visa is expensive and time-consuming, but they should probably consider that *before* hiring someone and not after... It was probably not just that but also some power-struggle between the people on whose recommendation they hired me (academic dean & rector) and the people who are my official employers (business office -- guess who won :( ). I would have started the application for permanent residency next year.

Of course if I could find a college to take it over that would be great, but the academic jobmarket (especially in philosophy, that's what I do) is extremely tough, it takes people years to get a job.
But I'll be fine -- have cooled down quite a bit since it happened, such unexpected changes are just difficult at first. Maybe I'll just go and soap one for some relaxation....

Latest posts

Back