Post your Gripe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I just lost the knitting needle I was using for cables. It’s part of my interchangeable set so it’ll bug me until I find or replace it. My guess is that it’s hiding at home, it’s my “Monday” and I haven’t touched my knitting all “weekend”

I woke up yesterday morning to the smell of burning rubber (the sort of smell that car tyres make when someone lays some rubber on the road ... that smoky smell), only it was persistant and a lot more acrid.

Up north 70 homes were destroyed or damaged, but so far it looks like the warning systems worked and people got out in time.

The fire I smelled was about 100 kilometres away (the wind was strong at dawn yesterday), it was about 17 homes destroyed and there was no warning for the poor people there, it seems like they all got out alive (some by literally running for their lives). The winds were huge and they reckon a lightning front set it going. Lots of lost stock and buildings. Poor communities :(

They have just announced that the insurance council have labelled the fires as a castrophe (which is actually good - insurance claims will get processed quicker). A tiny small mercy.

Hopefully they'll get the fires out soon so people can return and start the cleanup.

Thank you to the CFA (Country Fire Authority) and our emergency service workers. You do a fantastic job.

Last edited:
:( That is sad SaltedFig about the homes, but glad all are safe !

Back down to low teens this week, had to put back the heated Waterer in the chicken coop. Other waterer was frozen

No matter how often it happens, bush fires are something I imagine you never get used to. My heart goes out to all those who lost their homes. Tragic.

It's snowing here now... kind of a surprise... it was sunny and blue sky, but cool, all day today. We need the moisture, so it's a good thing. No complaints.

I woke up yesterday morning to the smell of burning rubber (the sort of smell that car tyres make when someone lays some rubber on the road ... that smoky smell), only it was persistant and a lot more acrid.

Up north 70 homes were destroyed or damaged, but so far it looks like the warning systems worked and people got out in time.

The fire I smelled was about 100 kilometres away (the wind was strong at dawn yesterday), it was about 17 homes destroyed and there was no warning for the poor people there, it seems like they all got out alive (some by literally running for their lives). The winds were huge and they reckon a lightning front set it going. Lots of lost stock and buildings. Poor communities :(

They have just announced that the insurance council have labelled the fires as a castrophe (which is actually good - insurance claims will get processed quicker). A tiny small mercy.

Hopefully they'll get the fires out soon so people can return and start the cleanup.

Thank you to the CFA (Country Fire Authority) and our emergency service workers. You do a fantastic job.
SaltedFig, I hope you and yours are safe. I am a catastrophic insurance adjuster for multiple insurance companies, and I never get use to the how total the disasters can be. But yes the claims will get handled faster. When I get deployed for a catastrophe our team works 7 days a week 12 hours a day until all the claims are handled.

I am a bit bummed that they are saying it will be wet heavy snow...

My shovel got a crack in the middle section. I was hoping to finish this year and not have to buy a new one till NEXT Winter.

i have had this shovel for 6 years :D I am so lucky !

I am a bit bummed that they are saying it will be wet heavy snow...

My shovel got a crack in the middle section. I was hoping to finish this year and not have to buy a new one till NEXT Winter.

i have had this shovel for 6 years :D I am so lucky !
Sounds like your ready for warmer weather :) . We are just coming out of a rather hot summer and I am enjoying the cooler mornings and evenings. So have to get my firewood in as will be needing it soon.

Aww bummer !

I have to go to a funeral tonight :( hate those. But he was a Best friend to my Brother and my Brother is in Seattle and can't come out. SO I am going as "Family Representative" , Yes I knew the guy too

It is nice outside today, about 73F and we decided to cook outside, on the grill. As I am carting the food out I stepped wrong on our steps, twisted my ankle, bruised my knee really bad, and also hurt my hand. So now my hubby is cooking and I am sitting in a chair with ice packs. My hand is swelling pretty bad, and hubby thinks I broke my finger, but I don't think it is that bad. Anyway, that is my gripe right now.

Back