Post your Gripe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suppliers, thats my gripe today. I ship things, I know how it works. Dont tell me you shipped something 5 days ago from a mere 200 miles away and say your post office must be slow.. umm the tracking says you printed the label and they are waiting for the package.

My very sad gripe; looks like we're going to lose our very special guinea pig soon. He's the very first one we had - the one our little girl chose the moment she saw him and refused to take the adorable little baby girl pigs instead. He follows you around like a puppy, comes when he's called and purrs when you pet him.

It's taken hundreds of dollars to get him diagnosed with bladder stones, and surgery/recovery is hundreds more. The thing is surgery is even riskier on pigs than cats/dogs, and recovery can have a lot of complications....and bladder stones often return. It he were a cat or a dog, it would be worth investing the money, but....well, we're collecting estimates with the hope that something comes in lower than we expect.

108 degrees yesterday. There was pwr outtage in the mid of the night so AC was off for few hrs. :mad: Always afraid that will happen when Im at work and Ill come home to a rabbit dead from heatstroke. I guess the silver lining is it happened when I was hm to open the windows...not that it helped much...and my soy wax soap didnt melt. :thumbs: Bracing for another scorcher today...

gripe... Someone said our heat wave will come back later this week :(

There is heat wave in CA, MA and Ireland. I think that makes it global (warming?)

Last edited:
And I think in England too !

I should be quiet, I just saw the news and it says around 90F so i should not complain

edit, haha, I just got what you said . I am tired

Well - It's not really a gripe, more of a dilema. I come here to ask for advice from people who are not my close friends or family as they are not really giving me advise based on reality, they are pretty much telling me what they think I want to hear.

Some of you know as I posted a few months back that my mom passed away a year ago and shortly after my sister passed. I am the only surviving family member of my "original family" So when my mom was in the hospital before she passed away she made me promise to take care of her little 7 lb Shitzu "Princess" and a princess she is! lol - My mom said if I don't take good care of her I'll have hell to pay!!! My mom lived with me so Princess has been here a while. My sister also had a puppy which I took as well but found him a great home with a friend. And I have a 90 lb American Bulldog of my own. I'm retired and I'm home quite a bit. PRINCESS IS MAKING ME MENTAL! She has to be with me 24/7, she is jealous of my big dog and she is afraid of the rain ( its rainy season here in Florida ) I love her but feel like its too much for me. She is constantly under my feet and she is very very small. I have almost stepped on her numerous times and to avoid her I have almost fallen like 100 times. My sons tell me to find her a new home - but how do I do that to her? She's 8 years old. She already lost my mom and now if I find a good home for her I'm going to feel guilty. Besides my mom put the "curse" on me with "Ill have hell to pay!" lol I went away for a weekend with my BF and I sent my big dog to the canine ranch as she can run around there, kind of like a country club for dogs - mostly big dogs. But Princess had to go to a kennel as she is too small to go there. The lady told me that she drove them crazy being crated! I cannot stop traveling as I'm retired now and this is my time to do stuff. At 63 and the last trimester of my life, I find that she is putting a serious crimp in it. I've already raised my kids. WHAT DO I DO??? I'm torn!

Have you tried feliway? I have cats so I’m familiar with the feliway name, for som ereason I feel like they have a different name for the dog version.

They have various products (wipes, sprays, diffusers) that are supposed to mimic a mother’s horomones and calm the animal. They claim that over time it can help permanently adjust personality, but I’m not sure I’ve seen permanent changes. It may help if your princess is feeling intimidated/lost now that your mom isn’t around for cuddles on demand or immediate defense if your larger dog is playing a bit rough. It may boil down to a form of separation anxiety/grieving for your mom.

If you don’t think feliway is an option you can ask your vet about medication. Is this a change in behavior since your mom passed or something that’s has always happened?

If it helps, one of my cats shows similar behaviors. For us, it’s been an issue since we moved from 700 sq ft in the middle of town to nearly 2000 sq ft on the border of the woods (with appropriate nature and convenient 4 wheeler trails).

Shih tzus can be quite clingy and nervous anyway and she has beeen through so much - but if she has been living there a while why is it only now that she is getting to you? Whats changed?

TBH they are such different breeds and in time she would settle but right now her whole world has changed and you are the only constant, of course she wants to be with you! If you were in the UK I would take her in a heartbeat. They are the most wonderful loving dogs and all they really want is to be loved.

If you are going to rehome please please please dont leave her at a shelter, the stats for the number of dogs pts in US shelters are horrendous and as for Craigslist or the internet, I've seen soo many dogs taken and used as bait dogs. If you give her up please find a good reputable rescue who could find her a new home.

Eighy year old nervous dogs get PTS all the time - dont let anyone tell you that its only big dogs or old dogs or aggressive dogs. When the shelters are full (like they are right now) they will kill any dog that isnt perfect. I am not trying to be rude I just hate to think that something terrible could happen to her.

She loved your mum and she feels lost; you have ended up with a dog you dont want. You have to either find a way to bridge that gap or find someone to love her as much as your mum did.

My very sad gripe; looks like we're going to lose our very special guinea pig soon. He's the very first one we had - the one our little girl chose the moment she saw him and refused to take the adorable little baby girl pigs instead. He follows you around like a puppy, comes when he's called and purrs when you pet him.

It's taken hundreds of dollars to get him diagnosed with bladder stones, and surgery/recovery is hundreds more. The thing is surgery is even riskier on pigs than cats/dogs, and recovery can have a lot of complications....and bladder stones often return. It he were a cat or a dog, it would be worth investing the money, but....well, we're collecting estimates with the hope that something comes in lower than we expect.
I know how you feel Lenarenée, our 2nd last piggy had a stone, we got the op done, he recovered really well. It eventually came back and another op but we had to let him go under the op.:( The stones come because of too much calcium in the diet, can be too much Lucerne. Just because he was a piggy didn't make a difference to us versus a cat or dog, it's still a life, and not about investing money for the size of the animal. His friend died not long after about 2 months, he was older but I think he was fretting. :(

Last edited:
At 8 she is only 1/2 through life, think of it that way. MANY more years left that maybe someone who is looking for that breed will find to be the perfect pet !!

Ask your Vet or any other Vets to put up a sign to help find a home for her.
Make sure she is up to date on vaccines, spayed, Teeth cleaned (teeth are a big issue with small dogs) and Groom her to perfection :tub:

You might just find that someone who just had their doggy pass would be SO HAPPY to find another that needs their love as much as they need the doggies love .
Unfortunately accidents and age happens and it may be a blessing for someone who is hurting.

@redhead1226 Look into rover.com for boarding when you travel. The in home dog sitters (usually their home) have a profile to review before you contact them that gives info on what they have to offer. This includes things like their work schedule, size of dogs, whether or not they have a dog/will have other dogs boarded or just one at a time. We found a perfect sitter for our pupper and the cost isn't really any more than a regular boarding kennel. He is allowed to sleep on the bed with them, someone is home all day and they have a large fenced yard for him to play. Since my hubby retired, we are traveling more and our dog gets super excited when we pull into his sitter's driveway. You might be able to find someone who would be happy to have a needy dog around when you travel.

As for rehoming, if that is what you need to do there are ways to find them a new home. Research the shelter well. Three of our family members have adopted four dogs from the same shelter, and my daughter volunteered there when she lived in town. The dogs are all kept with a foster care giver until they are adopted - none are kenneled on site. My cousin recently lost a 16 year old shitzu, so 8 really isn't so old for that breed.

One thing I will say about 'no kill' shelters. Some are no kill because they transfer the old, sick and injured dogs to shelters that do euthanize.

Have you tried feliway? I have cats so I’m familiar with the feliway name, for som ereason I feel like they have a different name for the dog version.

They have various products (wipes, sprays, diffusers) that are supposed to mimic a mother’s horomones and calm the animal. They claim that over time it can help permanently adjust personality, but I’m not sure I’ve seen permanent changes. It may help if your princess is feeling intimidated/lost now that your mom isn’t around for cuddles on demand or immediate defense if your larger dog is playing a bit rough. It may boil down to a form of separation anxiety/grieving for your mom.

If you don’t think feliway is an option you can ask your vet about medication. Is this a change in behavior since your mom passed or something that’s has always happened?

If it helps, one of my cats shows similar behaviors. For us, it’s been an issue since we moved from 700 sq ft in the middle of town to nearly 2000 sq ft on the border of the woods (with appropriate nature and convenient 4 wheeler trails).

My mother got her when she was 81 years old. We got her from a different state as she was trained for older people. She was the perfect dog for her. But my mother spoiled her rotten. I had to change her diet as my mom fed her everything. She has a Thunder shirt that I put on her that my mom used to do so I keep it on her when it rains and she has a collar that release pheromones that are supposed to comfort her. But I can tell you my mom used to fall all the time and now I know why. She is constantly under your feet. I can maneuver, but I don't think my mother could. Falling a lot was one of the reasons I brought my mom to live here with me. I dont want to medicate her if I can help it. Thanks ill check into your suggestions.

My gripe is that Sunday is supposed to be Date Day. I work days, Ken works nights and Sunday is the only day that we both have/had off. Well, it used to be. He's decided that at age 54 he wants to train to be an American Ninja Warrior. I support that but how serious is he if he's still drinking beer and eating doughnuts, ice cream and other junk food? Sunday used to be, Ken comes home from work, gets a nap & the rest of the day is ours. Now, he gets off work, takes a nap, goes to the gym, comes home where he needs a few hours to recover then MAYBE we'll do something together before he has to take a nap before he goes to work. I wish I had something else to do with my time so I wouldn't miss him so much [emoji22].

Shih tzus can be quite clingy and nervous anyway and she has beeen through so much - but if she has been living there a while why is it only now that she is getting to you? Whats changed?

TBH they are such different breeds and in time she would settle but right now her whole world has changed and you are the only constant, of course she wants to be with you! If you were in the UK I would take her in a heartbeat. They are the most wonderful loving dogs and all they really want is to be loved.

If you are going to rehome please please please dont leave her at a shelter, the stats for the number of dogs pts in US shelters are horrendous and as for Craigslist or the internet, I've seen soo many dogs taken and used as bait dogs. If you give her up please find a good reputable rescue who could find her a new home.

Eighy year old nervous dogs get PTS all the time - dont let anyone tell you that its only big dogs or old dogs or aggressive dogs. When the shelters are full (like they are right now) they will kill any dog that isnt perfect. I am not trying to be rude I just hate to think that something terrible could happen to her.

She loved your mum and she feels lost; you have ended up with a dog you dont want. You have to either find a way to bridge that gap or find someone to love her as much as your mum did.

I would NEVER put her in a Shelter. I rescued my AB from one. I don't buy dogs - I rescue and have many times.
I clearly understand. Its not an issue of I don't want her. Its an issue of it is the wrong time in my life right now for so much chaos. And she is a lot of work. I have not been well myself and have also suffered a lot of loss. My mom and my sister in a 4 month period. And I have medical issues that can shorten my life as well ( Stage 4 liver disease ) . I have a bucket list that I would like to start checking some off the list. This is like having a new baby at 63 who requires 24/7 attention. Thanks

At 8 she is only 1/2 through life, think of it that way. MANY more years left that maybe someone who is looking for that breed will find to be the perfect pet !!

Ask your Vet or any other Vets to put up a sign to help find a home for her.
Make sure she is up to date on vaccines, spayed, Teeth cleaned (teeth are a big issue with small dogs) and Groom her to perfection :tub:

You might just find that someone who just had their doggy pass would be SO HAPPY to find another that needs their love as much as they need the doggies love .
Unfortunately accidents and age happens and it may be a blessing for someone who is hurting.

She is at the groomer once a month as I kept up with what my mother did. But her breath was so bad that when I took her for her shots the vet told me that they needed to be cleaned. My mom never did that even though her breath was bad as she didn't want to sedate her. We discussed it many times but she said no. So I ended up doing it 4-5 months ago and she had 10 teeth that needed to come out. And when I saw them they were so rotten. Her breathe is so much better now. She's a beautiful little thing but my mom was stubborn and when she said no it was no. I don't want her to go to a stranger as I want to be able to stay on top of how she is treated. It's a very tough decision for me obviously. I attached picture. Princess.jpg Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe see if there is some other older person that would like her. Beings she specially trained for old people that training at least wouldn’t be waisted. I don’t think it’s worth using approx 8 years of your life tripping and falling over a little dog. Or if you really do want to keep her just step on her a couple times when she gets in the way like that. Not hard but enough so it’s not comfortable and maybe she’ll learn.

@redhead1226 Look into rover.com for boarding when you travel. The in home dog sitters (usually their home) have a profile to review before you contact them that gives info on what they have to offer. This includes things like their work schedule, size of dogs, whether or not they have a dog/will have other dogs boarded or just one at a time. We found a perfect sitter for our pupper and the cost isn't really any more than a regular boarding kennel. He is allowed to sleep on the bed with them, someone is home all day and they have a large fenced yard for him to play. Since my hubby retired, we are traveling more and our dog gets super excited when we pull into his sitter's driveway. You might be able to find someone who would be happy to have a needy dog around when you travel.

As for rehoming, if that is what you need to do there are ways to find them a new home. Research the shelter well. Three of our family members have adopted four dogs from the same shelter, and my daughter volunteered there when she lived in town. The dogs are all kept with a foster care giver until they are adopted - none are kenneled on site. My cousin recently lost a 16 year old shitzu, so 8 really isn't so old for that breed.

One thing I will say about 'no kill' shelters. Some are no kill because they transfer the old, sick and injured dogs to shelters that do euthanize.

She would never go to a shelter. If I cannot find a loving home (if that is the route I go ) then she will obviously be here with me. This is why I am so conflicted. I promised my mom. But when my mom was here she was always with my mom so I didn't have the issues I have with her now. Wherever my mom was she was. She slept with my mom and would constantly be with her. I never imagined the situation would be like it is now. My mom passed away a year ago today. As far as her age, she might even out live me!

Maybe see if there is some other older person that would like her. Beings she specially trained for old people that training at least wouldn’t be waisted. I don’t think it’s worth using approx 8 years of your life tripping and falling over a little dog. Or if you really do want to keep her just step on her a couple times when she gets in the way like that. Not hard but enough so it’s not comfortable and maybe she’ll learn.

If an older person ( older then me lol ) takes her then what if they pass away before her. Again trauma. I need to try to decide on this. Thank you . :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back