Post your Gripe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really want to paint my dining room - it's the most depressing two shades of olive green from the previous home owner. My husband has vetoed all color choices. Last night when I was showing him colors, he said "How about two shades of olive green?" I knew we would struggle a bit before I married him - I love really bright colors and he likes more subdued colors... but the whole house is neutral colors and I can't do it. I need some personality added to the house! I feel like I'm living in someone else's house. I hate it.

Surely some compromise is possible - perhaps involving the rooms you spend more time in than he does? Or painting one accent wall? I feel for you!
Our house was originally painted the fashionable "neutral" gray. UGH! Looked and felt like a prison - it had to go!

Surely some compromise is possible - perhaps involving the rooms you spend more time in than he does? Or painting one accent wall? I feel for you!
Our house was originally painted the fashionable "neutral" gray. UGH! Looked and felt like a prison - it had to go!
Yep, I keep throwing out suggestions - and I haven't even suggested the colors I REALLY want to do because I know those won't go over. My house (before we got married and moved in together) had a bright orange and blue dining room, that I absolutely loved. (see attached photo)

labolt_diningroom.jpg

Our new dining room has a window seat and plate rail, which makes for a more formal feel to begin with. I was hoping to do something a bit on the neutral side for paint (but NOT olive green, there's just no working with it) and then brighten it up with colorful accents - changing the window seat covering, valance, and dining room chair cushions, and colorful accents on the plate rail. It would still be formal feel but with cheerful accents. Sigh. I really think the issue is that he does not want to paint because he sees it as "a lot of work" whereas I see it as "just paint - if it doesn't work, try a different color". And he knows I tend to putz around with projects (it took me 18 months to do my old dining room - I stripped wallpaper, built a bookshelf, primered everything, repainted the woodwork, and then painted the walls - but I was also a single mom working 3 jobs at the time...). Anyways... I'm sure he is thinking I'll start painting the dining room and then leave a mess for months on end, when reality is that it is probably a one weekend project because it's just taping off woodwork and painting. I'm going to spend the next month giving him color suggestions, then I may just do it anyways and see what happens?

Oh, amd, I do so empathize! Painting walls is the one worst thing for my husband & I to do together. Choosing the colors for the living room took a lot of back and forth and my husband won out. I have adjusted to the color scheme but I won't paint a room with him again.

We've chosen other rooms to paint in the house since then, and at least we have managed to agree on colors, but if he paints, I find something else to do and if I paint, I do it only when he is at work. We can't paint together without him being critical every step of the way.

When I re-painted the small bathroom, I did it alone and it was so much more peaceful!

For the most part he really likes to give me what I want, but when it comes to color schemes and some of that, it's just not as easy as that. I hope it works out for you, sometimes it happens with enough time. When we talked about re-tiling our master bathroom a few years ago, I totally gave up on the plan when Hubby rejected every idea and sample I brought home with me. He rejected heated tile flooring, the colors, the finish, all of it. So nothing got done. Was I surprised when yesterday he said he wants a heated floor in the master bath and when we looked at tiles, his color choices were so much in line with mine that I thought perhaps he forgot what he'd disliked a few years ago. Not that I expect it always to work out like that. He can be pig-headed about the most insignificant things sometimes.

I really want to paint my dining room - it's the most depressing two shades of olive green from the previous home owner. My husband has vetoed all color choices. Last night when I was showing him colors, he said "How about two shades of olive green?" I knew we would struggle a bit before I married him - I love really bright colors and he likes more subdued colors... but the whole house is neutral colors and I can't do it. I need some personality added to the house! I feel like I'm living in someone else's house. I hate it.
I have met some people who aren't 'colour minded' but are very positive what they want. I think its more a teensy control issue and a 'safe option' mentality rather than a 'I understand it and I still love x'.
My cousin does the oddest colours (to me) and they work ok! really. Once they are up on the walls the colours work.
I hope you can find a solution to your colour challenge, I know I wouldnt like olive green on the walls. Though my fav colours are green, and my walls are a sort of pale mint green which can go grey or blue in different light. (my cousin hates it!). After much deliberation with my husband over 5 years... he wants something different, but he doesnt know what either! I expect I will just end up buying what I think (hope) we can both enjoy.
best wishes

I painted my living room last year, very pale green with chocolate on the chimney breast. I wouldn't normally go for the browns, I was thinking more burgundy, but I chose the green first (after several days research and deliberation) and stuck to it.
The paint brand
dulux
has these colour charts on the website that show what colour matches other ones, and samples of the others that match, a very handy tool. All the colours match my couch and teal cushions, and even my deep green Celtic throw. I recommend calming colours, just to have a room to relax in.

Sometimes you just have to go for it. I have a hubby that likes Whited or Eggshell. When he was gone once I painted the downstairs an Ice Blue and added in a Cranberry Couch and Chair. He actually liked it. But I am not one for dark colors but I do like colors. While the kitty is gone the mice will play :dance:

(post #176) My neighbor is an a*** ... I've tried being neighborly, ... Each time I've spoken she's rolled her eyes at me, she's seen me entering/exiting our building & she's slammed the door shut, she's just a very nasty person so I stopped trying to be neighborly. ... I told her it was maintenance doing a repair. ... She's been in her apartment slamming doors and making all sorts of noise ever since!
Oh my! She actually called the front office & reported us for the noise! .... Lol he (plumber) said he had "enough hair to make a chinchilla!"

Not offensive at all, its a genuine gripe, nobody likes someone like that. You'd be surprised how often that happens to guys in Ireland, you'd say hello to a girl and she'd start rolling her eyes like your an embarrassment. I don't say hello any more, saves a lot of heartache.
If I were in your position I would think about doing the following...
If there is a regular time she is banging doors. have whoever is in the front office come around to witness it, or get a recording and bring it to them.
I would also think about slamming a few doors myself, just until she realizes how annoying she is.
I might even hire a large gong, and on the days she is throwing things around, I would wait until about 3am and bang that gong as hard as I could, just once mind. The next week it would be a klaxon.

Last edited:
While you think this, might have not been offensive, others do, I suggest you read Rule 1 of the Message Board Rules and refrain from this type of language. I have discussed this with the OP.

While you think this, might have not been offensive, others do, I suggest you read Rule 1 of the Message Board Rules and refrain from this type of language. I have discussed this with the OP.
Apologies
will edit reply to remove offending word

@Techie Joe, a klaxon! That's funny! Thanks, I needed that lol! I don't know why she's so rude to me. DH has never had a problem with her. I think maybe it's a case of mistaken identity & she thinks I'm somebody she hates. It's her loss cuz I'm a freaking awesome person!

There aren't enough hours in the day to do all the things that need to get done!
Ain't that the truth! Just thinking of my to do list today makes me shudder. (Actually it's almost a relief to be at work because that's easy compared to what I have going on at home...) So my list:
  • making 50 lip balms (that have to be labeled and delivered by tomorrow)
  • Labeling and delivering 50 lip balms that I made yesterday
  • labeling and delivering the snake soap
  • Bottling and brewing 2 batches of Kombucha
  • Washing dishes for the church luncheon on Saturday (dishes have been in storage for a year)
  • My future boss is in town from China and wants to do dinner tonight which is always a 3-hour and too much beer situation
  • making dinner for the children because the hubby is not home tonight [this summer I am going to start making the children learn to cook properly. It is ridiculous that we have four kids ages 16, 15, 13 and 10, and between the three teenagers the only things they know how to make are frozen pizzas and ramen noodles. I was actually discussing this with the 16 year old last night, and he stepped up and got a lesson in how to make homemade pizza. it is just ridiculous to me. At 14 I was making full meals for my family of 9 because my mom didn't get home from work until 7pm.]
Although my daughter - she really is a sweet girl - did volunteer to do the dishes when she heard my to do list last night. So even if half of them get done tonight, we can finish the other half tomorrow night. It is still an overwhelming lot to do in one night. I feel like I have been 'on the run' since last Friday, and I am tired.

Oh, amd, I do so empathize! Painting walls is the one worst thing for my husband & I to do together. Choosing the colors for the living room took a lot of back and forth and my husband won out. I have adjusted to the color scheme but I won't paint a room with him again.

We've chosen other rooms to paint in the house since then, and at least we have managed to agree on colors, but if he paints, I find something else to do and if I paint, I do it only when he is at work. We can't paint together without him being critical every step of the way.

When I re-painted the small bathroom, I did it alone and it was so much more peaceful!

For the most part he really likes to give me what I want, but when it comes to color schemes and some of that, it's just not as easy as that. I hope it works out for you, sometimes it happens with enough time. When we talked about re-tiling our master bathroom a few years ago, I totally gave up on the plan when Hubby rejected every idea and sample I brought home with me. He rejected heated tile flooring, the colors, the finish, all of it. So nothing got done. Was I surprised when yesterday he said he wants a heated floor in the master bath and when we looked at tiles, his color choices were so much in line with mine that I thought perhaps he forgot what he'd disliked a few years ago. Not that I expect it always to work out like that. He can be pig-headed about the most insignificant things sometimes.

I think our DHs are related!
My DH is the most consiliatory guy. Rarely argues. Except about wall colours. I ended up giving him free rein with the colours but there is no way we can paint together. He watches every drop or splash of paint and woe betide anyone who leaves holidays or roller or brush marks in the paint!

Last edited:
Wow amd, your to do list made me tired and all I did was read it lol. It's good that you have kids that are willing to help.
My gripe is that I have "work kids"! I'm not sure how I got them but everyone seems to think they're mine lol. Joe is the oldest. He'll be 35 next week (I'm 49). He's admitted to bring bipolar with a side order of ADHD. He's very hyper & chatty today. His machine is right across from my work station so I'm his break relief but today he seems to need a break or something every 10 minutes! There's Kaite. She's 25 and today she's more whiny than usual today. And lastly there's my Eddie. He's 22 and autistic. He's such a sweetie. It's part of my job to make sure he has parts to install rings in. I have no more parts or rings for him. He's gone thru everything that needs to be shredded. He's done all of the scrap grinding. There's really nothing left for him to do but sweep. The problem with that is that when he can't find anything to sweep, he starts crawling under machines & tables or he's in the front office crawling under desks looking for trash. He's also been known to wander out to the parking lot to pick up trash to bring in so he can sweep it. Our boss won't send Eddie home when there's no work for him to do but he won't take responsibility for him either. So when Eddie gets into something he shouldn't, everyone comes to me like it's my fault! I have 7 orders to get out of the door today plus whatever the trim department brings me and a couple of my female co-workers have made me feel uncomfortable about my outfit. I normally don't dress like this but I've lost about 20 pounds & I was feeling confident for the first time in a long time so I wore this today. Other women here who are larger than me dress this way all the time so I didn't see a problem with it. Now I wish I could go home & change.
524227796598_PART_1524227796562.jpg
please excuse the junk on the side table. For some reason the forum won't let me post the cropped version of this pic.
Edit: oh joy! The owner just put a rush on 2 more orders. No stress here lol!
Sent from my Z828 using Soap Making mobile app

Last edited:
! I have 7 orders to get out of the door today plus whatever the trim department brings me and a couple of my female co-workers have made me feel uncomfortable about my outfit. I normally don't dress like this but I've lost about 20 pounds & I was feeling confident for the first time in a long time so I wore this today. Other women here who are larger than me dress this way all the time so I didn't see a problem with it. Now I wish I could go home & change.View attachment 29986 .

Are you kidding? You look fantastic! Never mind what they say.

Back