Post your Gas prices

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the thing with the virus. People got desperate so everyone started signing up to it and most of them shouldn't be involved in anything customer service oriented. All my reviews are 5 stars. And today I was given a $30 cash tip "to help with gas" (per the customer). It paid for the first eating out we've had in weeks. I just grabbed us a couple burgers.

I've been working in customer service since I was 12 years old and I'm almost 46. I take pride in it. I can't stand working a traditional job, but I do know I'm good with customers. I think I am anyway.

When you get your order isn't based on how well you tip up front. It's based on how well you tip. Dashers make the same per hour that waiters and waitresses do. In my state, that's $2.75 per order. A $3 payment (all payments show including a tip in the app) will mostly likely get a refusal for the delivery from any drivers, especially if they have to drive more than a couple miles. A $6 payment, it will likely be taken, but the farther you live and when you order will impact how fast the food gets to you. I had to walk out of an order the other day because I was waiting 15 minutes to pick up the order and the restaurant kept telling me it was coming. I couldn't wait any longer. Time is money for a driver. Imagine how long it takes you drive to the house and you only make $5 especially if you know it's a 45 minute trip.

So, here's how it works. Doordash pays a small amount (as do all the delivery services) which is usually somewhere around what waiters and waitresses make. But the driver isn't considered an employee, they are considered contractors. That means the driver pays their own taxes, and any other fees the gvt decides to add on plus their car maintenance, insurance, registration and gas. That means that, if they get a $6 payment, half of that is going to the government and other fees off the bat. So if you order food and only give a $6 payment, they are effectively working for $3 for that delivery.

Today I had two very good deliveries with a $12.75 including tip and $30 cash tip. I can hide the cash tip because it wasn't recorded on the app. Doordash paid me $2.75 for the $30 one and they don't know about the tip, nor will they.

Meaning, if the app shows that the driver is going to receive at LEAST $7 in the end, you are more likely to get it picked up by a driver. Personally, I pass on anything that's less than $6 and if it shows anything further than 6 miles from where I am at the moment in time it shows up. I have bills to pay, it causes wear and tear on my vehicle, and I need to eat. It's not to be mean or lazy. If your order took a long time to be picked up then its probably because the restaurant took a long time, a driver didn't accept your order (we choose what we accept), or there was a problem on the way to your house.

That being said, when I went to get gas yesterday, it was $3.999 and the get Upside app gave me a 25 cents per gallon discount. I don't have a huge amount in the app yet, but it's better to get some money back than not and I highly recommend it.
So, the drivers see their tip prior to accepting the order? A lot of the time I tip minimal in the app, then hand them cash when the arrive. I am wondering if thats why i have problems with orders sometimes…they dont know that they are getting more when they get here.

Today for instance, I tipped 10% in the app, but i planned on giving them $6 or $7 when they got here. It would have been a 50% tip all together. I am a cash tipper, having waitressed and bartended for a long time when i was younger, so I know the cash is appreciated. I got my usual updates, and after an hour and a half of “dasher waiting for order” I texted them asking if there was a problem with the order. She instantly cancelled the order lol. …guess I’m cooking. Which I wasnt thrilled to do since I just worked overnight and was in the middle of a soaping mess in my kitchen.

Cancellations are becoming more common lately. I see your point of view completely, but a tip is based on service. If I go out to dinner and the food sucked, but the server was awesome, I dont take it out on the server by leaving a bad tip. But if a dasher shows up with cold food when the app already said the dasher was on the way…2 hours ago. They arent getting the extra cash i planned on giving them.

I have had orders arrive cold because the driver picked up another order. Once i had a burger king bag and empty soda cup inside my bag. A friend of mine just posted on fb that the same thing just happened to her.

Recently a friend of mine in Philly had unexpected company and no food or snacks to feed them. They just showed up at the door (like drove a whole 2hours to his house with no notice, who does that lol). I sent him a door dash platter of pretzels and cheese dip from 1100 miles away. I tipped the driver WELL within the app, cause i wasnt there to give her cash. I texted her that i was sending from florida, and to please make sure she handed it to him with a message from me, which she did. She was actually excited for being part of the surprise delivery.

But, thank you for you door dash service. Sometimes i wouldnt get a lunch at work without you guys. I guess the trick is an upfront nice tip.

That's the thing with the virus. People got desperate so everyone started signing up to it and most of them shouldn't be involved in anything customer service oriented. All my reviews are 5 stars. And today I was given a $30 cash tip "to help with gas" (per the customer). It paid for the first eating out we've had in weeks. I just grabbed us a couple burgers.

I've been working in customer service since I was 12 years old and I'm almost 46. I take pride in it. I can't stand working a traditional job, but I do know I'm good with customers. I think I am anyway.

When you get your order isn't based on how well you tip up front. It's based on how well you tip. Dashers make the same per hour that waiters and waitresses do. In my state, that's $2.75 per order. A $3 payment (all payments show including a tip in the app) will mostly likely get a refusal for the delivery from any drivers, especially if they have to drive more than a couple miles. A $6 payment, it will likely be taken, but the farther you live and when you order will impact how fast the food gets to you. I had to walk out of an order the other day because I was waiting 15 minutes to pick up the order and the restaurant kept telling me it was coming. I couldn't wait any longer. Time is money for a driver. Imagine how long it takes you drive to the house and you only make $5 especially if you know it's a 45 minute trip.

So, here's how it works. Doordash pays a small amount (as do all the delivery services) which is usually somewhere around what waiters and waitresses make. But the driver isn't considered an employee, they are considered contractors. That means the driver pays their own taxes, and any other fees the gvt decides to add on plus their car maintenance, insurance, registration and gas. That means that, if they get a $6 payment, half of that is going to the government and other fees off the bat. So if you order food and only give a $6 payment, they are effectively working for $3 for that delivery.

Today I had two very good deliveries with a $12.75 including tip and $30 cash tip. I can hide the cash tip because it wasn't recorded on the app. Doordash paid me $2.75 for the $30 one and they don't know about the tip, nor will they.

Meaning, if the app shows that the driver is going to receive at LEAST $7 in the end, you are more likely to get it picked up by a driver. Personally, I pass on anything that's less than $6 and if it shows anything further than 6 miles from where I am at the moment in time it shows up. I have bills to pay, it causes wear and tear on my vehicle, and I need to eat. It's not to be mean or lazy. If your order took a long time to be picked up then its probably because the restaurant took a long time, a driver didn't accept your order (we choose what we accept), or there was a problem on the way to your house.

That being said, when I went to get gas yesterday, it was $3.999 and the get Upside app gave me a 25 cents per gallon discount. I don't have a huge amount in the app yet, but it's better to get some money back than not and I highly recommend it.
Thanks for explaining. But from a customer POV, this is why I rarely use Doordash, Grubhub, Waitr, etc. anymore. Like CatscanKim, I work in a busy hospital and our cafeteria isn't very good. BUT there are a ton of great restaurants downtown that are literally 2 minutes from our hospital. These restaurants upcharge for delivery services so a meal I would purchase in person that would be $20 (let's say a gourmet burger and fries from a nice local place) is $25+ in a delivery app. And then the app charges additional fees - so now that $20 meal is well over $30. I always choose the 20% tip in the app so now I'm paying around $40 for my meal. OK, sometimes I'm fine with that when I haven't packed a lunch or I'm craving something. What I'm not fine with is paying that amount of money to have to wait over an hour for a delivery from a restaurant less than five minutes away and getting cold food. This happened way too often, so I don't even bother anymore.
Maybe it was because the 20% tip was only in the $6-7 range?

I paid $4.39 and even with $0.40 off a gallon with my savings card, it was still too expensive.

Fuel was very expensive in Italy. We rented vehicles twice. One used diesel. The other used gasoline. The prices rose as soon as the war broke out in Ukraine and continued to rise. Far less expensive since our return, but still more than before we left for our trip.

The worst part of buying fuel in Italy was not the price, however. It was the difficult time my husband had trying to figure out how to get the pumps to work. No attendants at most of the places he stopped & printed instructions in a language he was unable to understand (or minimal or no instructions-I'm not sure.) He finally was able to get some help from another customer who explained the process, but it was a lot different from how we do it in the US, so it took some time to fill the tank that first time.

It generally cost about $90 - $100 US to fill up while we were in Italy. When I got back home, I knew we'd have higher prices than when I left, that always happens, but since I replaced my C70 with an XC60 and no longer need to buy premium gas, I was still shocked at the over $50.00 fill-up in Texas, where gas is usually much cheaper than here at home. The tank is bigger, but not that much bigger.

But today, my online research tells me it would cost me $67.50 to fill my tank at Costco in Iowa. Think I'll hold off on that trip as long as possible. The estimates I read are that it will take 4 months for the gas prices to drop after the oil prices drop. If that's true, it will probably impact my travel plans. But then, maybe not. I still prefer driving to flying.

Back