Post you ugly soap pics here - Troubleshooting thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now its charcoal and slight metallic bronze with purple tints ! I was at the studio today and took pics of the rebatch version of this monster. Ill post some in a bit. I also found out the CULPRIT of this mishap ! Poor hibiscus, I blamed it for naught ! It was rancid HEMP OIL that Is GUILTY ! & thanks yea it tickled me too.

Last edited:
My first tallow soap. I used a new FO...Neopolitan Ice Cream from WSP...which smells yummy, but I knew it was going to turn a dark brown, so I thought I'd mix a bit of the batter with TD. The swirl attempt was a failure! I guess it was too thick. Good learning experience though, because now I know that if my batter is too thick to try something different.

Also, not too thrilled about the crackled TD. And look at how dark the top and edges are! Oh my...this is going to be even uglier when the brown really kicks in.

I was going to use this strawberry FO to pipe ice cream. Pic #1 shows it before it put the petal to the metal and acceleratored like a teenage boy in a new porche. Pic #2 shows it scooped out of the piping bag and stuffed into a mold. #3 show how horribly this FO discolored and it really doesn't smell good either so at this point, it got chunked into the trash where it sat for almost a week. So tonight, I pull it out of the trash and decide to photograph it for this ugly thread and then cut into it. #4 shows that it wouldn't be that bad if it would only stay pink inside! But we all know that won't happen. This was one of the most disappointing FO's I ever purchased. And right after I purchased it, they discontinued it. Sure wish I could get my money back! This one wasn't cheap!

Strawberry mess.jpg

I was going to use this strawberry FO to pipe ice cream. Pic #1 shows it before it put the petal to the metal and acceleratored like a teenage boy in a new porche. Pic #2 shows it scooped out of the piping bag and stuffed into a mold. #3 show how horribly this FO discolored and it really doesn't smell good either so at this point, it got chunked into the trash where it sat for almost a week. So tonight, I pull it out of the trash and decide to photograph it for this ugly thread and then cut into it. #4 shows that it wouldn't be that bad if it would only stay pink inside! But we all know that won't happen. This was one of the most disappointing FO's I ever purchased. And right after I purchased it, they discontinued it. Sure wish I could get my money back! This one wasn't cheap!

Wouldn't it be cool if it world stay like this! Cherry chocolate for the holidays.

What a pity for the FO and what a pity they won't stay like that, they sure look great now..!
Does it smell that bad? If not, maybe you could use it in one part of the batch and the rest could stay pink, it would altogether smell like strawberry (hopefully?) but would be with chocolate! Yaeee!!!!

I have added it to my basket of donations. I have a friend who frequently gathered friends to make sandwhiches to hand out to the homeless. Sad though, the city made her stop doing it because she doesn't have a food permit. Sometimes life just doesn't make sense. I'm going to call another friend who has an "in" with a local women's shelter. There are children there too, so I think I will throw in some pretty ones from my kid's line.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1413754952.937653.jpg

Here's mine! Top that! I'm almost ashamed to share it. If couldn't blame it on the silicone mold and cpop'ing, I'd probably say someone else made it. I'm kidding. No one is perfect and I am queen of imperfection ;) . And of owning it, good and bad. I actually had no idea what the heck happened to my soap, though I had a suspicion and a few of you here confirmed that it wasn't TOTALLY my fault (this time). Needless to say, I may never cpop in a silicone mold EVER again.

Last edited:
My very first attempt at cp resulted in alien brains. Was a beer soap I decided to try and cpop :oops:

What does it mean she the soap looks wrinkled like that on top? I had on do that but it turned out fine. I thought it looked kind of neat.

What does it mean she the soap looks wrinkled like that on top? I had on do that but it turned out fine. I thought it looked kind of neat.

Sometimes when soap overheats this happens. It's not bad or unsafe, just not the look I was going for :)

OH… OH… Separated!! It’s hard to tell in the photo, but there is about ½ an inch of oil on top of the soap. It is an unscented batch with pink, white kaolin clay and activated charcoal for the swirls. It went to a false trace. So disappointed… more so because I hate to rebatch! It was a big recipe, and seemed BIGGER because I had to rebatch it. The total weight was 17 lbs. all together. I don’t have a photo of the rebatched soap, but it turned an UGLY gray.

separated_soap.jpg

I'm laughing out loud looking at this soap it's sort of a dog poop diarrhea soap. I think you win with this one. If I made this I would save it for Christmas stocking stuffers just to see everyone expression when they saw it.

What the heck is that? I can't stop laughing. As soon as I think I like one soap as the ugliest I see an even crazier one.

OH… OH… Separated!! It’s hard to tell in the photo, but there is about ½ an inch of oil on top of the soap. It is an unscented batch with pink, white kaolin clay and activated charcoal for the swirls. It went to a false trace. So disappointed… more so because I hate to rebatch! It was a big recipe, and seemed BIGGER because I had to rebatch it. The total weight was 17 lbs. all together. I don’t have a photo of the rebatched soap, but it turned an UGLY gray.

Well thankfully you could rebatch it. That's an awful thought to waste 17 pounds worth or soap, expensive. Looks kind of Halloween-ish (like Halloween, my b-day :) ) So when it separated, you think maybe it wasn't mixed well enough? I keep my fingers crossed with every batch. I'm lucky so far, I haven't had this happen yet(I shouldn't say yet because that's me acknowledging that it is inevitable and WILL happen). What do you do just remix and let it set up? Is that what happens after you get a false trace and then pour it in the mold. Or does something else cause it?

Rainwater, Too funny… It was a bit frightening and it did look like runny dog poo.

Bubli, I actually made this batch last winter. I mixed my lye/water outside and left it sitting in the snow to cool down. I am not sure what happened.

I was able to swirl the soap without a problem. The soap set up fine in the mold. I covered it up really well and it went into a gel stage quickly. The first time I checked it to make sure it wasn’t overheating, it looked alright. After about 24 hours when I took the blanket off and checked again, I found the running dog poo soap. I always try to double check my oils, water and lye when I am weighing them out, but maybe I didn’t weigh something correctly.

Years ago I made a small 2 lb. batch that actually went to a false thick trace, then went completely liquid in the mold. This batch wasn’t anything like it. It just had ½ inch of oil on top.

WOW, I actually like it though. NIIIICE!

View attachment 10075

Here's mine! Top that! I'm almost ashamed to share it. If couldn't blame it on the silicone mold and cpop'ing, I'd probably say someone else made it. I'm kidding. No one is perfect and I am queen of imperfection ;) . And of owning it, good and bad. I actually had no idea what the heck happened to my soap, though I had a suspicion and a few of you here confirmed that it wasn't TOTALLY my fault (this time). Needless to say, I may never cpop in a silicone mold EVER again.

That looks crazy :crazy: I made one like that though

View attachment 9211
View attachment 9212

Pine tar gone bad: extreme case of zombie teeth. Stupid me did not sb the pt to the oils like usual. Stupid me poured hot lye to rt oils (with the pt not mixed properly). Another case of: don't soap when you're.....

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Dear god! kill it! Kill it with fire!

This is why you SB in your goats blood before coloring with earth from a virgins grave. What ever you made there is seriously unholy.

Back