Post you ugly soap pics here - Troubleshooting thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your FrankenSoap looks a lot like the first time I ever rebatched, and it was all the shavings and left overs too. I did it in the crockpot, added too much water and mangled it into a pan. I have 1 bar left sitting on the utility room sink, and that was 4+ yrs ago. It is the ugliest soap I ever made, and one of the best actually. It is still almost pliable, you can squeeze it. I have just always referred to it as Ugly Soap.

UglySoap.jpg

Kansas Farm Girl.... for my vote, you are in the lead at this point for flat out Ugly Soap! :D That's disgustingly awesome! And of course, probably impossible to replicate, and naturally, ends up being one of your best.

Wow! Kansas Farm Girl, that looks like some kind of wound infection! IMO you win so far!

Ok, I was able to dig up three fails and snap pictures of them. The first is a failed beer soap. Came out with ugly whitish spots on it. Almost looked diseased. Turned out to be a really nice soap from a technical standpoint...just really ugly.

The second was my first attempt at a goat milk soap. I wanted to keep a creamy color and was concerned about it overheating and turning brown so I used the goat milk as half my water amount and added it at trace. I immediately put the mold in a super cold freezer and left it there for 24 hours. Then I let it come up to room temperature on the counter before I cut it. Even so it went through a partial gel. The outer edges were the color I was looking for. The partial gel in the center, not so much. It actually turned out to be a great soap. Wonderful on the skin and smells heavenly, just a bit of an ugly duckling.
The third was my first attempt at a mantra swirl. This batch was a bugger from start to finish. The colors behaved badly and morphed on me, the scent all but completely disappeared, and it traced so quickly that by the time I got it in the mold and removed the divider there was a large gap left where the divider had been. Foolishly I attempted to do the swirl anyway(because I'm stubborn) and it was like trying to cut a semi-soft cheese. I managed to smoosh everything back together for the most part, insulated it like crazy, and prayed that a nice hot gel would at least mesh everything back together so it wouldn't be a total loss, which it did. It feels great on the skin but has virtually no scent and looks like hell. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1406520248.641352.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1406520265.038084.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1406520280.387491.jpg

Ah, this is just what I needed ... a good laugh! I feel like I make more bad soap than good sometimes. Here's today's disaster - I'm still trying to figure out what happened so if someone can tell me that would be great. I used the same recipe yesterday and it was fine. The temp was 37C/100F. It's only the top half of the soap (coloured with mica) that is crumbly on the edges and sort of ashy all the way through. It cracked a little on top so I can only guess that it was hot in the middle and it got too cold on the outside. I'm not sure about why the colour has gone whiteish.

Cedar & Rose 2014-07-29 002.jpg

I think I just made my ugliest soap last night.... turmeric and sage.... what a sick color. It was a chocolate colored rebatch and I thought the dark color would hide it. I was wrong. I just thought the spices smelled earthy and would go with tea tree nicely. Now I have soap the color of a baby diaper. Icky!

I think I just made my ugliest soap last night.... turmeric and sage.... what a sick color. It was a chocolate colored rebatch and I thought the dark color would hide it. I was wrong. I just thought the spices smelled earthy and would go with tea tree nicely. Now I have soap the color of a baby diaper. Icky!

pics???

Soon. I wrestled it out of the mold last night. Of course I added to much liquid during the rebatch. Ugh. I'll poke it a little after work. ..

This is scented in bite me. This was before I knew about vanilla stabilizer. Of course it's totally brown....lol

1407633700517.jpg

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1408373153.240356.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1408373196.734964.jpg

Pine tar gone bad: extreme case of zombie teeth. Stupid me did not sb the pt to the oils like usual. Stupid me poured hot lye to rt oils (with the pt not mixed properly). Another case of: don't soap when you're.....

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

ROTFLMAO!!! :D :D :D they are pretty scary in real life...

Back