Post you ugly soap pics here - Troubleshooting thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always wanted to make alien brains soap! Is there a way to do that and be sure (or pretty sure) you won't get separation instead? Or is it just a crap shoot?

:think:*I* would pipe the top with a plain round tip, at a fairly firm, but not stiff trace (so it settles slightly), and just randomly and thickly squeeze soap onto your bar.

All the brains with none of the crapshoot. ;)

Seven, I love this statement: "don't soap when you're half tipsy. you just forgot everything, including your common sense. it's better to sleep it off till the next day :grin:"
It is SOOO true and so "me". Mind if I borrow it?

I don't seem to have a pix of my latest failures, but I can tell you they were UGLY. I had to glop the batter into the mold and I ended up rebatching a soon as I could

You asked for it... ;)

This one is an attempt to use some of the rose embeds I had left after a rose fo seized on me. I wanted to do a lavender rose but when I put the purple colorant in (actually it was blue but had morphed to purple before so I thought it would be perfect) the color turned pink so I decided to not swirl cause I thought the little rose embeds wouldn't stand out. Next morning it turned purple. Argh!
1406084151049.jpg

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1406210586.832093.jpg

It was a mistake to put it on uneven surface and to cover with cling wrap. So many mistakes in this batch !!!

ooo I think I win with

partial gel + OP + chocolate espresso FO + not paying attention to temperature = exploding coffee MUFFIN TOPS

HP in crock returned them to bars but they've never been the same since. They look like molded dog turds and are dry, hard, nasty soaps ... but they still smell good enough to eat and they lather .. so who cares!

IMG_3900.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

IMG_3933.jpg

Seven, I have some accelerated ones that look lumpy and spiky and some ugly rebatches. :) I will try and get a photo on the weekend.
Those muffins are great. :D

I don't take pictures of my fuglies. However I name my worst fugly loaves. So far I've had :

Only a maker could love

The loaf forsaken

Devil's advocate (Cause that one was a demon from start to rebatch even the rebatch wouldn't behave!)

and the Crummy Crumbler

Of course we use these sad loaves, they are just butt ugly.

I don't take pictures of my fuglies. However I name my worst fugly loaves. So far I've had :

Only a maker could love

The loaf forsaken

Devil's advocate (Cause that one was a demon from start to rebatch even the rebatch wouldn't behave!)

and the Crummy Crumbler

Of course we use these sad loaves, they are just butt ugly.

I LOVE YOUR NAMES LOL ! Especially devil's advocate ! It really sounds like a soapmaker's nightmare !!!!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1406299574.292590.jpg

I had a batch go bad last night! Everything looked good on the outside until I cut just now. Crumbly, gel ring, way overheated haha.. What a waste! I got too generous with the honey!!

^^^
those look awfully similar to my overheated honey batch.

Avocado soap with avocado pulp. It separated so I had to mix it right in the mold. Ugliest soap ever made, plus it took about a year to harden up. After that it was a pretty good soap. Went into the sales basket right away. It had its fans as ugly as it was. I learned a couple of lessons from that one.

avosoapslimeandunscented1trimmed.jpg

Avocado soap with avocado pulp. It separated so I had to mix it right in the mold. Ugliest soap ever made, plus it took about a year to harden up. After that it was a pretty good soap. Went into the sales basket right away. It had its fans as ugly as it was. I learned a couple of lessons from that one.

A year to harden up ?!?! That's so long ! You have such patience !

Well, peeps, I think many of these soaps are pretty darn cool looking! I know people who would have been all over those soaps - buying them up right out of your unhappy hands! :crazy:
Do you think we are sometimes too hard on ourselves? (I am. I am looking at 2 of my line and wanting to dump them and start from scratch - but my testers say no.)

FrankenSoap

This is a brilliant thread!
I don't feel nearly so bad now that I can proudly post my most recent fail-soap.
(I had to fish it out of the trash)

I took all my accumulated shavings, heated them slowly in a microwave until they began to bubble, then mushed them into a PVC pipe mold.
shavings.jpg
The result is FrankenSoap...
FrankenSoap.jpg
Doesn't look good, doesn't smell good, doesn't cut very well and crumbles at the touch.
It cleans OK...you can see the one bar we're using.
Enjoy
Todd

shavings.jpg

FrankenSoap.jpg

Back