Post you ugly soap pics here - Troubleshooting thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seven

Reaction score
To all the forgotten soaps out there..

Please don't be shy!

(1st 2 pictures) - Pencil line disasters:
early batches. ditched the sieve and decided to do a hand pencil line instead, coz hey.. i knew it all! so, pencil line = sieve = a must.

(last picture) - Zombie teeth:
jasmine FO, stupid me didn't put the mold in the freezer first and just left it there. no fan, no nothing. it was a mild case that happened only to these 2 bars out of 10.
some floral FOs can behave like a naughty kid, prone to overheating, ricing, etc. make sure you check the temp of your mold by hand to look for overheating signs.

i will dig some more..

another case of zombie teeth - the soap with a hole

don't soap when you're half tipsy. you just forgot everything, including your common sense. it's better to sleep it off till the next day :D

too much honey plus a heater FO = deadly combo! the whole loaf was a mess, with a partial gel to boot.

yuck1.jpg

yuck2.jpg

zombie teeth.jpg

zombie teeth2.jpg

I love that you started this thread. I think it will be very helpful, especially to newcomers. Maybe somebody could make this a stickie. I've got some serious uglies to post. I'm in the middle of fixing a dryer right now but I'll take some pics and post them later this evening.

Didn't SB enough. Poured and then it separated in the mold because it wasn't at emulsion yet. Decided to put the stick blender into the mold and just stir it all back together right there because, you know, of course you would. Why dirty another bowl? Because then you don't get a soap that look like a sinus infection, that's why.

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

Didn't SB enough. Poured and then it separated in the mold because it wasn't at emulsion yet. Decided to put the stick blender into the mold and just stir it all back together right there because, you know, of course you would. Why dirty another bowl? Because then you don't get a soap that look like a sinus infection, that's why.
Yup that is Ugly :p. Had a few of those myself over the years, but never tried sb'ing in the mold... I always dump it back in the bucket and re-mix

Here are my oddballs. First pic is glycerin rivers. 2nd is the soda ash I battle when the humidity drops really low. 3rd is zombie teeth from me trying to outsmart clove EO. Once I won the wrestling match getting it into the mold I thought I could dress it up by dripping a bit of purple color on top (since I wasn't able to do the beautiful swirl I envisioned!) That made it look worse, lol. Smells good though....:lolno:

Glycerin Rivers.jpg

Soda Ash.jpg

Zombie Teeth.jpg

Great thread!
I laughed out loud at zombie teeth and sinus infection (I had plenty of those so I know what they mean lol).
I don't have any pics as all fails are rebatched the next day but I should try and take photos sometimes.
My last fail was super oozy, I'm guessing it's mixture of FO and measuring one of the oils twice. It's rebatched but still oily.

^^
make sure your fails are properly documented from now on for all the world to see :D

the following are pretty ordinary, but might be useful to a newbie:

Picture 1, first row, left: partial gel
Picture 2, first row, right: this overheated honey soap is quite bizarre. i tried to poke at the zombie teeth and the soap was pretty crumbly. you can dig a hole there easily. this soap is more than a month old.
Picture 3, 2nd row, left: glorious ash!
Picture 4, 2nd row, right: glycerin rivers caused by overheated TD and a heater FO.

photo 4 (27).JPG

photo 3 (32).JPG

photo 2 (58).JPG

photo 1 (60).JPG

^^^
LOL! i have a castile exactly like that :D i didn't cpop mine, it was heavily insulated in hot and humid weather which was an overkill.

i think it looks kinda cool!

Bummer, last week I had two rice at the same time and fought them both after trying like heck to stickblend them had to put them on the heat just to bring them together. Wish I had taken pictures of that **** show.....Haven't had that happen in ages.

What my beer soap (with clove eo!) usually looks like:
1406057914644.jpg

What my restock of said beer soap did last week:
1406057992339.jpg
I've never had this recipe move fast, nevermind the fastest seize I've ever seen. It was gelling in the pot right after I took this picture. My one and only encounter with Soap on a Stick :-( I blame the supermarket lard I was subbing for lack of locally pastured lard, must've been a bad bucket.

Latest posts

Back