Post you ugly soap pics here - Troubleshooting thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be. Still, it's just aesthetic and I really don't think it looks that bad. I bet if you show it to people who didn't make soap, they'd be in awe of your creative design. :)

Is this a case of lye pockets? It's my Dirty Hippie soap. Neroli & Shea Blossom, Amber, and Honey Beeswax. Smells great and feels fine. But what are those crystal flaky things?

AmoretLO-20.jpg

Not really. How's this? Those crystal thingies on the sides? What gives? It is otherwise totally normal soap.

AmoretLO-25.jpg

I see what you are talking about, my soap gets that too sometimes. I'm not sure what causes it but if they don't zap, then don't worry about it.
Look at my pumpkin soap, see the large pale spots on the sides? Its the same thing but in large form.

Looks like ash beginning to form to me, I don't think it is lye. Zap test to be sure of course but if it is ash you can just wait a few weeks into cure then wash it off. Some people steam it, some water dunk it, some spray it with alcohol and wipe it off.... whatever works for you.

Thanks, folks! What a great relief! It's not ash. My artsy pictures don't show it too well but the gunk is not on the surface; it's all the way through. It doesn't zap and feels normal, not gritty.

It could be just some bits of stearic or something to do with your fragrance. I've seen certain FO's that did something really similar. Seemed to bind with the oils and harden into the little flakes.

Hey! Do they look like small white gel bits, like silicone beads out of a diaper or small round pieces of curdled milk that aren't only on the surface, but run throughout the entire soap? Not a great explanation, but it's the best I could think of. That happened to me with bb black Amber lavender. I didn't use palm, and these white speckled spots were throughout the soap. The soap darkened to dark brown, and the spots turned darker, like freckles! No zap, so I assumed maybe me soaping cooler and the fo bonded to the fats that may have become slightly solid?? Either way, it was just aesthetics, and it looked similar to yours.

This thread is great! I love ugly soap. I'd like to contribute!

First picture: This could happen if one were to spritz the soap with alcohol immediately after pouring.

Second picture: This is what happens when one is trying to be clever and use a re-inforced milk carton with the printed side up. (This has happened twice)

Third picture: This could happen if you cover your soap and leave it on the kitchen counter. My cat's official seal of approval.

ojdå.jpg

mjölk.jpg

kattfot.jpg

I think you should have an up-charge for your cat's autograph - just his way of saying instead of soap, you should be paying attention to me.

I like the second one. Gives a abstract feel to the soap. :) But I love the third one! Best soap stamp I've ever seen. Might have to take the cat on as a partner if you go into business, cause I'm pretty sure that paw is copyrighted.

Stupid failure, hurts my feelings and makes me sad.
IMG_4441.jpg
The one on the left was about what I was going for and what cam out of my little sample I poor with every batch. The right was the best out of 2kg worth of molds.

Last edited:
Stupid failure, hurts my feelings and makes me sad.
View attachment 11191
The one on the left was about what I was going for and what cam out of my little sample I poor with every batch. The right was the best out of 2kg worth of molds.

The one on the left is awesome, and the one on the right isn't that bad.

The one on the left is awesome, and the one on the right isn't that bad.

Did the colour fade or did it just not mix in the way you intended?

It was a spoon drop through an AC pencil line. I was paranoid I'd use too much AC and come out with grey bubbles but I think I used way too little and maybe should have used smaller drops.

I really dislike this bar. So the story was that my brother contacted me on short notice and said he wanted a lavender loaf for Christmas. I made a recipe real quick and figured I'd use alkanet root for the color, as it worked excellent on past lavender bars. What I forgot to do was infuse it. So about an hour into the process and right at the time for color, I panicked and just started adding powder to the batter. To the center divider I added woad powder. I tried to do some kind of swirl (mantra? I forget). Then, I was unfamiliar with the mold. This was a new one and the first time I used it, so after I poured all 3 batters into their dividers I realized it didn't go to the top, so the bar was only 2" or so. lol. So I added the rest of the batter on top. This is why there's a shelf. Also, the tops look weird. Is that ash? They almost look burned (the color is brownish).

The positive is it smells amazing. It's the best lavender scent I've produced. It should be a good bar if not too scratchy. But I can't stand looking at it. :)

ugly2.jpg

top.jpg

Latest posts

Back