Post you ugly soap pics here - Troubleshooting thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is is strange how people think their soaps are failures, when all I see is something that reminds me of delishous foods / chocolates / desserts...

It might have something to do with the fact that I am on a diet though...

Crawling back to my cup of tea with no sugar, no milk, no taste. Yum...

glycerin rivers caused by overheated :((((( my second attempt

Attachments

• Glycerin rivers.jpeg
    Glycerin rivers.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 34
glycerin rivers caused by overheated :((((( my second attempt

Hello and welcome! If you start a new thread and post your recipe and process we can help you troubleshoot. Also, stop by the introduction forum and tell us a little about yourself. Glycerin rivers are cosmetic and won't affect the use of the soap

Ugly but good!

I sell exotic oils and butter from the Brazilian Amazon so I had to try my products in a soap.
My first soap (or 2 since the brown pieces was from my first soap and the yellow is my second), turned out ugly but wonderful to use! Even as a shampoo!

So far I have made 7 soaps, they all ugly but awesome! I am ok with that! If I want a pretty soap I will buy it from one of the many amazing professional soapmakers out here.

View attachment 18879

View attachment 18880

View attachment 18881

Hmmm...I’m having trouble finding these oils at my local Kroger. Suggestions?

Today I made an abomination, I dissolved a whole jar of out-of-date fig jam (still sealed & looked fine) in 1L of water, strained it, then added enough lye for 250g of olive oil and 250g lard. Obviously way too much water so I tried to hot process it. I managed to get some soap curds but it never traced. I realized the jam was probably acidic and neutralized some of the lye, so I added more lye… and then it traced into a beautiful smooth pudding. Unfortunately I kept mixing and it separated again. I tried adding more lye, more water, but it refused to come together. I decided to salt out the curds that it did create, and the whole thing riced in the most bizarre way! Also, at some point the sugar in the jam water carmelized and possibly burned so it’s a very dark color.
IMG_7367.jpeg

Last edited:
Today I made an abomination

Call in the exorcists 😂 🤣

I dissolved a whole jar of out-of-date fig jam (still sealed & looked fine) in 1L of water, strained it, then added enough lye for 250g of olive oil and 250g lard. Obviously way too much water so I tried to hot process it. I managed to get some soap curds but it never traced. I realized the jam was probably acidic and neutralized some of the lye, so I added more lye… and then it traced into a beautiful smooth pudding. Unfortunately I kept mixing and it separated again. I tried adding more lye, more water, but it refused to come together. I decided to salt out the curds that it did create, and the whole thing riced in the most bizarre way! Also, at some point the sugar in the jam water carmelized and possibly burned so it’s a very dark color.

This is the first I have seen of this thread & love it ❤️ I have been laughing post after post 😁 Good to see other people's screw-ups & know I am not alone! 🙏

Added a photo this morning, it was late and dark when it finished :) I broke it up a bit to get the extra liquid out, but isn’t the texture bizarre? I’ve never seen anything like it. I’m going to salt it out again to see if I can get some bars out of it.

Added a photo this morning, it was late and dark when it finished :) I broke it up a bit to get the extra liquid out, but isn’t the texture bizarre? I’ve never seen anything like it. I’m going to salt it out again to see if I can get some bars out of it.

Wow! Thank you for sharing it! My first thought was "yum! Tacos!"

I have never salted anything out. I hope it works out for you.

That looks like perfectly normal salted out soap to me. You just need to finish the process. Give it a quick rinse, then warm it back up with more distilled water or GM plus additives, like glycerine since that went down the drain with the salt water.

You can read about my playing with salted out soap scraps here. I followed @DeeAnna’s detailed info on salting out scraps here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back