Post you ugly soap pics here - Troubleshooting thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the recipe with 80% CO and 20% Avocado oil w/ 20% SF, right?

The only batch I've ever had separate and overheat like your picture was a 100% CO 20% SF soap that I tried to CPOP. Looks like it overheated from the high CO (prob. not the FO).

I have CPOP my last 3 batches without problems, I didn't know that higher co would add to the heat. When I get more co I think I'll give it another shot without cpop now that I know that! Thanks :)

I did a lather test on a scrap piece today and it did lather and no zap. I think it will be OK to use but not gift worthy. Its super greasy still so I don't know how these will cure out.

Purple in my Lard soap?

Hello all! Figured I would add here instead of starting my own thread.

I semi-recently (Nov 30th) made a lard-based bar of soap and like many, I didn't wait until the full 4 - 6 weeks to test it out.

Was going fine for a few days, when I noticed there was some color in it, which looked like purple (but as you will see, the pictures don't really look purple, but that's the color I thought I originally saw). Now, this color didn't appear on the outside, and doesn't on any of the bars I made. They are all a very white color. This was a surprise color in the middle of the bar.

There is no coloring in the batch at all.

Recipe:
Lard 54% (8.64oz)
Olive Oil 20% (3.2oz)
Coconut Oil, 78deg 8% (1.28oz)
Palm Oil 8% (1.28oz)
Castor Oil 5% (0.8oz)
Shea Butter 5% (0.8oz)
Tobacco Bay Leaf Fragrance from BB 0.5oz
Distilled water: 6.08oz
Lye: 2.16oz

I made a small 1lb batch to put in a mold that makes 8 individual bars.

I did not document what temperature I did everything at. If I had to guess, I would say around 120F. I added the fragrance to the oils. I did nothing to promote gel phase, and simply left it out in the corner of my room and took around 5 minutes to do what I assumed was trace.

If I had to guess, it could be from the fragrance, which according to the BB site will discolor slightly, but not to the color that I saw. The other thing I thought was maybe some sort of additive to the Lard. It is Armor brand that I purchased from Wal-Mart.

Other than that, the bar seems to function just fine, and can't really complain about it for any real reason, but I don't like mystery colors in the middle of my soap lol. Any help or ideas are appreciated!

IMG_20151214_211800.jpg

IMG_20151214_211820.jpg

IMG_20151214_211831.jpg

Do the purple patches smell any different? DOS usually smells bad.

The only thing I can think of is strange stories of DOS caused by implements that weren't good quality stainless steel, and the metals caused some discoloration. But that would be weird if it only colored the inside and not the out. Plus DOS isnt often purple is it?

If it's just on the newly exposed surface, could your tested bar have been propped against something that would have discolored it? It doesn't look like DOS to me.

Possibly, it's FO discoloring from the FO not being entirely blended in. I've gotten odd mauve colors (especially from masculine scents).

Yeah, it might be the FO. I also had some of them change white soaps to muave/pink colour.
And since they were individual bars, sometimes they might slightly gel in the middle even without promoting gel.
That's what could have brought on the colour of FO, or just not enough mixing as snappyllama said.

And here it is - the Spaghetti Puke Soap.

In response to the Spaghetti Puke Soap:

Ahhh, haaaah, haaaah, LOL, you've given me a much-needed laugh! Looks like something I would make. It looks perfect for your local organic gardening or hunting/fishing supply store. Maybe with a clever fishing description. Worms and worm holes in soil looks not like a mistake, but brilliance! And hopefully you've scented with something earthy?

Last edited:
Do the purple patches smell any different? DOS usually smells bad.

The only thing I can think of is strange stories of DOS caused by implements that weren't good quality stainless steel, and the metals caused some discoloration. But that would be weird if it only colored the inside and not the out. Plus DOS isnt often purple is it?

I notice no additional odor from the bar. As for crappy stainless, I did use a butter knife I purchased for around $0.50 or so from Target. I've used it in other batches I made and I didn't notice any issues with them, but I will keep it out next time.

and yeah, I am very confused about it only being on the inside of the soap. Maybe due to partial gel that was pointed out in another comment? Still, doesn't really look like a partial gel to me, but I can only go by pictures on the net.

I am waiting a bit longer to try any of the other bars.

If it's just on the newly exposed surface, could your tested bar have been propped against something that would have discolored it? It doesn't look like DOS to me.

Possibly, it's FO discoloring from the FO not being entirely blended in. I've gotten odd mauve colors (especially from masculine scents).

I added the FO to the oils, and it being mostly lard, it took quite a while to get to what I called trace. I'd like to think the FO was fully mixed in :(

Yeah, it might be the FO. I also had some of them change white soaps to muave/pink colour.
And since they were individual bars, sometimes they might slightly gel in the middle even without promoting gel.
That's what could have brought on the colour of FO, or just not enough mixing as snappyllama said.

I think this makes the most sense. Will have to see what the other bars have inside. I will continue to use this bar and see if it gets more colored or not, lol.

No. I heated the oven to 170F and turned it off before putting the soap in.

If this is a primarily coconut soap, it was too hot.

When I make 100% CO laundry soap with 0% SF, it gels on the counter without wrapping it up in any way.

If this is a primarily coconut soap, it was too hot.

When I make 100% CO laundry soap with 0% SF, it gels on the counter without wrapping it up in any way.

Thanks Houseofwool and PenelopeJane! I'll skip the OP for the next try at his bars.

I too have no problem withmy salt bars gelling. Though I do cover them lightly with a towel. I tried to OP them once and ended up with an oily mess as well. I need to make more soon. Stock is dangerously low.

I have found this thread fascinating. Not dipped my toe in the water with CP yet, maybe in the New Year. First price has to go to Seven, I had no idea soap could look like road kill, that poor hedgehog. (Page 6) :)

I too have no problem withmy salt bars gelling. Though I do cover them lightly with a towel. I tried to OP them once and ended up with an oily mess as well. I need to make more soon. Stock is dangerously low.

See... That's what happens when I read the internetz instead of checking here first! Silly me.

ETA: Shari, if batch #2 fails I may send the FO to you and commission to have the bars done lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugly Colour

I haven't taken pics of the ugliest soaps I have made but this one is my most recent - ugly based on colour...was supposed to be a lovely purple and soft green and it came out electric fuchsia and army green...and my swirls got flattened when I stamped the mold down so it looks like weird morse code in army green :???:

IMG_4966.jpeg

See... That's what happens when I read the internetz instead of checking here first! Silly me.

ETA: Shari, if batch #2 fails I may send the FO to you and commission to have the bars done lol.

:) Sorry I missed this somehow. I would be happy to try. No guarantees though. I'ave had a couple give me fits.

Ugly but good!

I sell exotic oils and butter from the Brazilian Amazon so I had to try my products in a soap.
My first soap (or 2 since the brown pieces was from my first soap and the yellow is my second), turned out ugly but wonderful to use! Even as a shampoo!

So far I have made 7 soaps, they all ugly but awesome! I am ok with that! If I want a pretty soap I will buy it from one of the many amazing professional soapmakers out here.

20150718_200740.jpg

recipe 1a.jpg

recipe 2.jpg

:) Sorry I missed this somehow. I would be happy to try. No guarantees though. I'ave had a couple give me fits.

Thanks, Shari, but I did get a batch to turn out very nicely once I skipped the oven and let it do its own thing. They are so lovely looking, I'm fighting the urge to keep them for myself and getting him something else for his birthday, lol. I still have two months think about this ;)

Thanks, Shari, but I did get a batch to turn out very nicely once I skipped the oven and let it do its own thing. They are so lovely looking, I'm fighting the urge to keep them for myself and getting him something else for his birthday, lol. I still have two months think about this ;)

I have no luck using the oven. I'm so glad they turned out. You are rocking it girl!

Latest posts

Back