Possibly a simpler recipe for this lotion?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narnia

Reaction score
I have this lotion by Acure. I really like it. But, whew!! What a HUGE list of ingredients!!! Are all these ingredients necessary? And what's with all the "stem cell cultures?" Is there anything to it, or is it just marketing hype?

Would it be possible to simplify the list of ingredients for a simpler recipe in order to have similar results? I would like to make it for myself.

Organic CuroxidantTM Blend [(Organic Euterpe 0leracea (Acai) Berry, Organic Rubus Fruticosus (Blackberry), Organic Rosa Canina (Rosehips), Organic Punica Granatum (Pomegranate), Organic Calendula Officinalis (Calendula), Organic Matricaria Recutita (Chamomile), Organic Fair Trade Aspalanthus Linearis (Rooibos), Organic Camelia Sinensis (Mango Ceylon), Organic Aloe Barbensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Organic Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Organic Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Organic Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Glyceryl Stearate SE (vegetable derived), Vegetable Glycerin, Organic Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Oil, Infusion of Organic Calendula Officinalis Flower in Organic Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil, Organic Argania Spinosa (Argan) Oil, Glucono Delta Lactone (Fermented Sugar), D-Alpha Tocoperyl Acetate (Natural Vitamin E), Organic Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Potassium Sorbate (Food Grade Preservative), Centella Asiatica (Gotu Kola) Stem Cell Culture, Organic Chlorella Pyrenoidosa Extract (Chlorella Growth Factor), Marrubium Vulgare (White Horehound) Stem Cell Culture, Echinacea Stem Cell Culture, Fermented Resveratrol Extract (Probiotic), CoQ10, Olea Europea (Olive) Leaf Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass), Lavendula Dentata (French Lavender), Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss), & Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Essential Oils

Last edited:
I have a plastic surgeon friend who used to gush about stem cell benefits in lotions until I asked him flat out if there were ANY scientific studies showing the benefits of smearing stem cells on ones skin... Plus I really don't see how the stem cells of plants can help animals like us at all.

I have a plastic surgeon friend who used to gush about stem cell benefits in lotions until I asked him flat out if there were ANY scientific studies showing the benefits of smearing stem cells on ones skin... Plus I really don't see how the stem cells of plants can help animals like us at all.

So, what was his final answer?

For this reason I hate using INCI names. Sounds like really nice ingredients though. And would love to hear the surgeon's answer on the plant stem cells. I would start by boiling it down into English, e.g. familiar ingredients. Then maybe run some comparisons with other nice organic/natural products and formulate a small test batch. And add a preservative!!!! I use NeoDefend (or another one I can't remember and can't look up cuz soaping room is packed up), certified suitable for organics, from Lotioncrafter.

ETA: I always look at Swiftcrafty Monkey but I don't want to use chemicals in my lotions/potions unless in a tiny amount if necessary, so try to decipher her info with that in mind.

Last edited:
That is quite a list! I looked into plant stem cell a little bit. Seems fertilized eggs have some very special qualities. Not sure about plant stem cells. Here's an article and lots more out there on the subject.
http://barefacedtruth.com/2011/12/08/botanical-stem-cells-in-skin-care/

Swiftcraftmonkey is a great place to start. But I'm sure there are lots of people on here that can help you. There are some great things in that recipe. Look up some, some I'm sure you can omit. You're looking at some expensive ingredients.

Last edited:
The crazy part of it is that it sells for around $7 for an 8 oz tube! How could any handcrafted lotion maker even compete?

I like it heaps better than the goat milk lotion that I made! It glides on, doesn't go on whitish streaky, doesn't drag, and my hands feel moisturized, whereas my lotion made my hands feel dry after a while, strangely enough!! :confused:

The crazy part of it is that it sells for around $7 for an 8 oz tube! How could any handcrafted lotion maker even compete?

I like it heaps better than the goat milk lotion that I made! It glides on, doesn't go on whitish streaky, doesn't drag, and my hands feel moisturized, whereas my lotion made my hands feel dry after a while, strangely enough!! :confused:

Are you in a really dry environment? If so, go easy on humectants. It seems counter-intuitive, but on really dry days where I am... those humectants can actually feel like they are pulling moisture from my skin since there isn't any in the air.

The whitish streaks are probably from the dreaded soaping effect.... http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.ca/2009/08/soaping-effect-insert-dramatic-chord.html

I think silicones might be the answer for your lotion-conundrums. They'll give you more glide and help avoid the white streaks.

I'm a lotioning newbie though....

OooOOOhh! There's a "dreaded ______" in every category, huh? There's the "dreaded orange spot", and now, the "dreaded soaping effect!" :(

Any others that I don't know about??

I have this lotion by Acure. I really like it. But, whew!! What a HUGE list of ingredients!!! Are all these ingredients necessary? And what's with all the "stem cell cultures?" Is there anything to it, or is it just marketing hype?

Would it be possible to simplify the list of ingredients for a simpler recipe in order to have similar results? I would like to make it for myself.

Organic CuroxidantTM Blend [(Organic Euterpe 0leracea (Acai) Berry, Organic Rubus Fruticosus (Blackberry), Organic Rosa Canina (Rosehips), Organic Punica Granatum (Pomegranate), Organic Calendula Officinalis (Calendula), Organic Matricaria Recutita (Chamomile), Organic Fair Trade Aspalanthus Linearis (Rooibos), Organic Camelia Sinensis (Mango Ceylon), Organic Aloe Barbensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Organic Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Organic Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Organic Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Glyceryl Stearate SE (vegetable derived), Vegetable Glycerin, Organic Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Oil, Infusion of Organic Calendula Officinalis Flower in Organic Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil, Organic Argania Spinosa (Argan) Oil, Glucono Delta Lactone (Fermented Sugar), D-Alpha Tocoperyl Acetate (Natural Vitamin E), Organic Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Potassium Sorbate (Food Grade Preservative), Centella Asiatica (Gotu Kola) Stem Cell Culture, Organic Chlorella Pyrenoidosa Extract (Chlorella Growth Factor), Marrubium Vulgare (White Horehound) Stem Cell Culture, Echinacea Stem Cell Culture, Fermented Resveratrol Extract (Probiotic), CoQ10, Olea Europea (Olive) Leaf Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass), Lavendula Dentata (French Lavender), Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss), & Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Essential Oils

This is one of the stuffiest lists of ingredients I've seen. Sometimes, it's cheaper to get the cream you like that works with you. The Purple are some things you may find in a grocery or a healthfood store. The Blue Are some things you may have to order online froma supplier. I left everything alone out of laziness and the fact some of those ingredients are better left to the big companies to utilize if they can make a safe product with them.

With all that cootie food in the ingredients list, I'm perturbed to find only potassium sorbate as the sole preservative. I see nothing that would be reliably effective at controlling bacteria. Ugh. Ew.

Gent -- Yep, you're a genius. At what, I'm not sure. :mrgreen: But I do like your kind of "stem cells!"

Back