Possible Shampoo Bar Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeepItSimpleSoap

Reaction score
I have been using my CP 100% Lard Bars in the shower and they seem to be cleansing yet easy on the skin. Now people, especially women with beautiful hair don't cringe on this one. I have been using Yellow Dial Bar Soap on my hair before I use shampoo. If I don't my hair will look and feel greasy. I'm starting to think that my 100% Lard bars might not be as harsh as yellow Dial and ok to use on my hair. I just havn't quite brought myself to try it. In the meantime I have come up with a simple inexpensive recipe that might be better on my hair than a plain Lard bar. What do you think of this recipe? I used The Sage Lye Calculator.
Lard 8.5 oz 64.15% Byproduct from frying bacon
CO 4.75 oz 35.85% Dollar tree 2/3 jar coconut oil $.66
LYE 2 oz makes it 2.01 SF ROOTO LYE 100% NaOH $.50
Distilled Water 4 oz One penny for a gallon distilled onsite
Any positive feedback would be appreciated.

Edited-Added 3 hours later-I just read that is a PH issue that LYE based soaps have that don't make them "hair friendly". What is the PH of CP LYE soaps? Also in an emergency it would work to wash ones hair or even a dogs hair.

Last edited:
lye-based soap usually have pH around 9-11.
Human skin has a natural barrier that will re-balance itself the pH after washing with soap so it's ok but hair doesn' t have that. Ideally shampoo should be weak acidic, meaning 4.5-5.5 ish.

Using soap on hair in an emergency won't hurt, using it constantly and frequently could really hurt the hair, make it rougher and more prone to breakage.

Fun fact, if you have really greasy hair, using a very strong cleanser (soap or not) or wash too frequently could actually make it even greasier. Years ago I used to have super oily hair that I need to wash everyday or it looks shiny (in a bad way). One day I broke my foot and couldn't shower that often so I washed my hair twice a week. When my foot healed, I realized that my hair doesn't produce as much oil as before. It's still on the oily side now but I can endure washing every 2-3 days without being too shiny.

the best ph for human so dog skin is much lower than 7 dogs do not tolerate well high ph, their skin dries and then scratching leads to infections. I keep my shamppos bar at 4.6 of course it is not soap.

Your lard soap would be far less harsh on your hair than the Dial soap. By yellow bar, I assume it's the regular antibacterial soap? The pH of both the dial bar and your lard soap would be similar so neither are ideal for hair washing technically.

I personally have not used any kind of soap or shampoo on my hair for about a year and I also have oily hair. I use a strong Rosemary tea mixed with a tablespoon of rye flour. I don't know what the exact science is behind using this combination, but my hair is clean and not oily. As Anstarx says, shampooing less often without harsh detergents actually seems to improve (or decrease) the oil production.

Latest posts

Back