Possible reaction to lye? Anyone else have this irritating issue?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been lurking forums, watching countless videos and taking copious notes for a few months, and today decided it was time to be brave and try my first batch of CP soap. Despite all of this research I am still painfully new so please forgive my possibly dumb questions :oops::

I wore long sleeves, pants, protective goggles, a mask and gloves and was very careful to work in a ventilated area (stove exhaust turned on and next to an open window). However, during and after the soapmaking process my skin was quite itchy where exposed (neck, wrists, etc) and eventually all over my arms, even where it was not exposed. Is it possible that I have a slight allergy to the lye fumes or is that common when exposed to them?

Also, on a related note, how long should I be wearing my goggles/mask for? The entire process from beginning to end, including cleanup? Just wondering at what point the fumes are no longer trying to attack my eyeballs/throat :p

I dont soap with a mask, but everything else I take the same precautions. Yes you can have an allergy to lye. If you end up having a true allergy realize that every exposure can become worse... worse being anaphylactic reaction. I would keep benadryl on hand, just in case you start to get hives and heaven forbid anything more serious. It could be a fluke too just because you were so nervous your own histamine started to react.

I should add, I keep my goggles and gloves on the entire time I am soaping...especially the goggles. One time I pulled the goggles on top of my head and started to pound the soap to get air bubbles out, forgetting the eye wear was not over my eyes...some soap splashed up on my face near my eyes did not feel good. I have gotten the soap on my hands and yes it burns and even blistered but nothing I couldn't handle, Now straight lye water, definitely keep those gloves on but best practice keep it on the entire time.

Last edited:
I expect some more expert soapers will chime in here but I personally prefer to mix my lye and liquid outside at as far a distance I can muster while still being able to stir carefully. Once the fumes clear I will bring it inside and turn on the stove vent till it cools enough to mix. I often leave my safety goggles and gloves on till the very last bit of clean up. Never know when you might get splashed, some great soapers on here have shared their horror stories and lets just say that was enough for me. My mask I often take off once the lye comes inside.

My first few times I think I psyched myself out and felt itchy cause I thought about it, but it never hurts to be careful and maybe shower if you think you might have been exposed.

Once you become more familiar you will realize the steps you are taking are very helpful and reduce any exposure by quite a lot.

Congtatulations on your first success!

Hi everyone! I have been lurking forums, watching countless videos and taking copious notes for a few months, and today decided it was time to be brave and try my first batch of CP soap. Despite all of this research I am still painfully new so please forgive my possibly dumb questions :oops::

I wore long sleeves, pants, protective goggles, a mask and gloves and was very careful to work in a ventilated area (stove exhaust turned on and next to an open window). However, during and after the soapmaking process my skin was quite itchy where exposed (neck, wrists, etc) and eventually all over my arms, even where it was not exposed. Is it possible that I have a slight allergy to the lye fumes or is that common when exposed to them?

Also, on a related note, how long should I be wearing my goggles/mask for? The entire process from beginning to end, including cleanup? Just wondering at what point the fumes are no longer trying to attack my eyeballs/throat :p

First the fumes from lye will last a few minutes (usually under 5 for the amount we use in soap) However don't go smelling it intentionally even after that. Put on your goggles and gloves before you handle the lye and take them off after you pour the soap, and have put it where it will sit to harden.

As for the itchiness.... I believe what happened to you is partially in your head. Now hear me out because this happens to me whenever one of my kids came home with head lice! I would start itching my head like crazy, get to my mothers and she would go through us all with a tiny comb to see who we needed to treat. I was sure with all my itching I must be infested - - - but I never was. The idea of bugs made me itch like crazy, and I believe after all your research you were probably "on the lookout" for lye problems.....and so the itch started.

I have never heard of anyone being allergic to lye fumes - however you shouldn't be using it while the fumes are present!! If there are lye fumes the lye should be under a hood vent, or outside, or next to an open window, or somehow otherwise vented.

Last edited:
Wow, what a great forum. Thank you for replying so quickly :)

@Jaccart, keeping Benadryl on hand is a good idea, and you're right - if my reactions get worse with each occasion sadly this hobby may not be for me. You're also right that it could have totally been nerves! I was super stressed out wanting to make sure I did everything right haha.

@Jules, going outside is a good idea. I almost did it but then chickened out because I was worried about what my neighbours would think about me mixing mysterious substances while wearing goggles, gloves and a mask :p. I will have to be brave and try it next time!

@Dorymae Thank you for those approximate fume times! I appreciate it. LOL I hear you about the lice: I'm a teacher and have never had it, but every time it goes through my classroom I am the itchiest person ever! It could totally be in my head.

I will find out in ~24 hours if my first little batch was successful!

You can become allergic to anything. It is very possible, but probably not in your case.

Yup, allergies are super weird! I developed a random severe allergy to Advil after taking it 20+ years. Strange things can happen!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jaccart, keeping Benadryl on hand is a good idea, and you're right - if my reactions get worse with each occasion sadly this hobby may not be for me. You're also right that it could have totally been nerves! I was super stressed out wanting to make sure I did everything right haha.

If you ever have to take the benadryl, start chewing it and then drink hottest water you can tolerate, never cold, this way it gets into your system the fastest...just an old RN sayin....

Thank you so much, Jaccart! :)

And thank you Kittie - I have not heard that before and as someone with a sensitive system who finds herself needing Benadryl somewhat frequently, that is a great thing to know :D

Hi, and Welcome!

There are no dumb soaper's questions. Period. There are only people silly enough to NOT ask questions.

I find it highly unlikely that they lye is causing the reaction. Not impossible, mind you, but unlikely.

I only use the vent/open window/mask/goggles until I have the oils mixed in. I leave the gloves and long sleeves on until I have completed clean up.

Oh, and welcome to the addiction!

I mix my lye in the sink which is in front of a window and I have the door open to deal with the fumes. I have a mask and goggles on as well as gloves. I don't like to mix it outside as there are too many contaminates out there that could get into my lye and yes I know that the lye will kill any ickies, I just don't want them in my soap, dead or alive... okay dead.... In the sink I am read for a clean-up if one is required.

Enjoy this new hobby, be warned it is very addictive....

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind words and insight, Susie! I was addicted to watching videos before I even started, so I knew I was a goner :lol:

What a lovely and welcoming forum this is, a rare find on the scary internet these days :D

In the sink I am read for a clean-up if one is required.

Genius! I'm so clumsy so one more precaution for me to not spill toxic chemicals is a plus. Love the sink idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Glitterandbubbles and welcome to the forums! Congrats on your first batch of soap! Unfortunately, anyone can become allergic to anything. You might be allergic to lye fume/mixture :sad:.

Thank you! And yes, you are definitely right. I was holding out some hope that perhaps it was a common experience for soapers with a little more experience working with the fumes.

I'm an RN also!

But seriously about the lye "allergy"...lye is sodium, oxygen, and hydrogen. Period. There can be many potential causes of a reaction that affected even the covered parts of the arms that are NOT lye. EOs, FOs, colorants, the laundry detergent/dryer sheets used on that load of laundry, other body soaps and products, etc.

No chance you're allergic to the gloves or mask? Got too hot in the protective gear?

I personally doubt you have an actual allergy to lye, but it is irritating to skin and mucus membranes so if you got fumes on exposed skin it might feel irritated or itchy without you being allergic.

Back