"Pork fat" Vs Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babyshoes

Reaction score
So a couple of days ago I bought many jars of fancy looking Iberico pork fat, reduced to just 10p per jar after Christmas. It has about 3 months left on the best before date, so I need to do something with it soon.

To my eyes and nose, it's not really any different to lard... šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø We did use some to cook with the other day, and it seems just like lard in that aspect too, if maybe a bit whiter than the cheap lard I get from the supermarket.

Can anyone confirm or deny my suspicion that it's just fancy imported lard? If it is, I will just use it as it is, in one or two big soaping sessions.

If I can't be sure, I'm tempted to wet render all of it into one big lump, just in case there are some impurities left, then wrap and freeze the result in one batch portions...

IMG_20220106_125804.jpg

IMG_20220109_113327__01.jpg
IMG_20220109_113402__01.jpg

It looks like lard. The nutritional label says 34% saturated FAs, which is a bit less than the 42% in common calculators, so when in doubt, use a tad more of it than the hardness/longevity numbers might suggest.

As far as I can see from the label, it has BHA added as an antioxidant, so you don't even have to care about adding ROE to secure storage/curing.

If you like to get rid of all the small jars, ā€œCPOPā€ them (put them in an oven on lowest heat for an hour or two), until they're fully molten, and you can transfer them into whatever container you like best (e. g. plastic bagsā†’fridge).

0.52 Ā£/kg is a steal šŸ˜ƒ.

Lard, in general, is 100% animal fat. Usually, it is pork, but it could have other fats. This also could simply be a marketing way to distinguish themselves from supermarket lard. When most people think of lard, they think of "processed lard" which is what is so easily found at the supermarket. Processed lard is melted, filtered, and clarified (aka bleached and hydrogenated) which gets rid of the pork flavour altogether. This is probably "rendered lard" which is melted and filtered, then chilled. Because it doesn't go through the clarification, it still has some pork flavour. Which is what makes potatoes and other vegetables so delicious. Basically, you could think of rendered lard as bacon grease.

Can anyone confirm or deny my suspicion that it's just fancy imported lard?
Confirm. I would freeze some of it to use it in cooking. ;)
0.52 Ā£/kg is a steal.
:thumbs:

Here's what Mr. Google has to say about it...

What is the most expensive pork?
Iberico ham, in its native Spain called ā€œIberico de bellota,ā€ is ham procured from acorn-fed pigs and the most expensive pork product in the world. A single leg of Iberico ham can cost about $4,500. Oct 20, 2021

Is Iberico pork fat healthy?
Iberian pigs produce a lot of fatā€”good fat!
The Iberico pig fat and the fat in those famous hams also happens to be very high in healthy mono-unsaturated oleic fatty acid. In fact, oleic fatty acid makes up over 50% of the fatty acids in the fat of these special pigs.

What is Iberico lard?

Made from the meat of the famous ibĆ©rico pigs ā€“ acorn fed pigs ā€“ of Spain, world renowned for its flavour and aromas. It is produced by rendering down the plentiful fat of the animals to produce a smooth, aromatic lard. ... It can be used as a cooking fat or in baking, to make beautifully light pastry.

The liquid fat can be used for roast potatoes, stews, fried eggs, popcorn etc. It's rich and strong so we recommend tempering with olive oil when cooking. Follow any basic risotto recipe but use the IbƩrico fat for frying and the IbƩrico stock for cooking the rice. Use the rendered fat and some olive oil to fry onions.

I used lard for my roast potatoes at Christmas, and it was amazing!

But as for rushing to use it up, I am surprised by how stable lard can be so maybe don't feel pressure to do too much with it.

Besides, when I make a big batch I need 4kg lard šŸ˜‚ even a smaller batch with 50% lard would start to dig in to the pile pretty quickly

Thanks all, I'll definitely keep a jar or two for cooking, though we don't have carbs that often so roast potatoes are a rare treat...

I think I might do the oven method to get every last drop out of the jars. I have a new, larger mould so with my 40% lard recipe, a couple of batches should use up a fair bit, then I'll freeze the rest...

Back